Iran vs. Iraq, and US vs. Iraq

Hi all,

I'm very excited about the coming Syria vs. U.S. focus of this game, but it also occurred to me (and many others) that the game could also be used to simulate Iran vs. Iraq (especially exciting battles like the Battle of Khorramshahr, or a fraction of it) or counter-insurgency ops in Iraq, or the Battle of Fallujah, for instance.

Any of you scenario folks planning to do anything like I mention above?

What makes scenarios fun for me (and I used to hate single player CM, and swear only by PBEM) is the historical research that goes into each one. In the case of the Iran/Iraq scenarios, it would be possible to simulate the low-quality human wave troops (the Basij) with Revolutionary Guard backing, versus Republican Guard and low-quality regular Army units. Gosh, if someone else doesn't do it, I might actually have to try my hand.

From what I gather

1) Iran v Iraq: Prolly. Red V Red is an option. I imagine t-55s will work pretty much the same wether in 1981 or 2009

2) US v Iraq COIN: Not just no, but... BFC has stated many a time that this will not be the focus of CMSF.

3) 2nd Fallujah will have to wait for the USMC module

Originally posted by Severin:

2) US v Iraq COIN: Not just no, but... BFC has stated many a time that this will not be the focus of CMSF.

BFC are including IEDs, VIEDs, "Technicals" and "unconventional" forces such as spies and terrorists in the "Red" force mix, so I fail to see why you think US v Iraq COIN won't be possible whatever BFC say about the game's main focus.

I for one will definitely try to simulate some Iraq post-invasion encounters with the tools provided by the game. However distasteful some people may find this, I think it is a legitimate use of the game that should not be overlooked.

Just replying to my own thread again -- US/Iraq seems very doable, for both wars, I and II, and the ensuing counterinsurgency. Just because Battlefront isn't making it part of the Syrian campaign doesn't mean we can't fight the battles we want, on the maps we make, using approxiamate forces, which in this case would be the next best thing to Battlefront having actually done an Iraq module.

Just curious for the scenario folks here that plan to make some for CMSF -- Where do you plan to host? I hit the Proving Grounds a lot, since I feel like my efforts there not only entertain me, but also provide a minor service to the folks that need their stuff tested.

While it wouldn't be exact, an Iran vs. Iraq scenario could be acheived within certain limitations. Gulf War 1 is certainly out since we aren't including any of the Abrams or Bradley variants used back then, not to mention the different small arms and what not. The counter insugency can be semi-simulated. The more conventional the combat is, like Fallujah, the better. To do the more typical COIN ops, welll, personally we don't feel CM:SF is up to snuff on that (and isn't supposed to be). There is so much we aren't simulating for those types of ops.

Steve