M-16 vs. AK-47 clip

Yeah, that barrel was swinging around a lot in that slow-motion portion, and I know the whole point of the design is to be very loose. Good up close, maybe not great over distance. They also stressed that it is a MG primarily, so maybe it relies more on burst power, catching someone with some wild rounds and creating a beaten zone behind with those big 7.62mm rounds.

The AK 74 whith the 5.45 mm round, should have better fire control in the burst.

It is probably much more used today than the older AK 47 with 7,62 round. I dont think russian army still uses AK 47.

And the russians are making more modernised versions of the AK 74.

I think Syrian regulars should be equiped more whith AK 74 than the AK 47.

Originally posted by rudel.dietrich:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikoyanPT:

I think Syrian regulars should be equiped more with AK 74 than the AK 47.

The TO&E is as accurate as we could get it.

SF and guards are armed with the AK-74

Regulars on down with AKMs/AK-47s </font>

I wonder if they used the green tipped ammo with the steel penetrator for the penetration tests because thats all i've ever fired in training and it looks like it wasnt from him loading the magazine in the accuracy test. m855 i think

Once again discovery channel "documentary". smile.gif

Barrel flex makes not so big difference on single rounds (cause it tends to flex in a similar way each shot), and there is no point firing burst or automatic fire for longer than very short distances (up to 25m) because of the recoil.

Accuracy test is as bad: New russian AK's can be shooting 1-1,5 MOA, which is about 50mm group at two hundred yards. Not all of them do because of their relaxed tolerances in manufacturing, but some of them do. Finnish army RK is a close relative of AK-47, and all of these rifles are shot into 20mm x 20mm box from 100metres from machine rest. That is sub-MOA accuracy from your AK. Good AR on the other hand will punch holes even more accurately. Accuracy test proves that these guys aren't good shoots, as both of the rifles could shoot within the limits of the head of the target at that range.

Machnigun argument is very lame as well. If you shoot AK you will notice that selector lever is far easier to move to single shots than to automatic. Even the guy in the video fails to put the rifle in automatic fire (check it out!). So in case your weapon comes of safe it is easier and faster to move it to single shots, then if you require automatic fire you will move it one notch up. (I have to admit that originally it was simply mechanically easier to do it that way, it is quite clear if you study the internals. layout is very simple there.)

Not much of a documentary. smile.gif

Originally posted by MikoyanPT:

I dont think russian army still uses AK 47.

Russian army is starting to field new 100-series guns, in both 7,62x39 and 5.45 calibers. The actual "inferiority" or "superiority" of a cartridge depends on it's usage and required parametres.

Originally posted by Jippo:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikoyanPT:

I dont think russian army still uses AK 47.

Russian army is starting to field new 100-series guns, in both 7,62x39 and 5.45 calibers. The actual "inferiority" or "superiority" of a cartridge depends on it's usage and required parametres. </font>

Is the weapon in that clip a 'real' AK-47 or an AKM? If its an AK-47 they could've been doing tests on a 45+year old rifle! Also since this is TV, if they had a dozen AKs to chose from they would've picked the dog of the bunch to test against the M16, and would've also picked the best M16 they could lay their hands on. It doesn't make for good 'visuals' if the shot distribution patterns start to resemble eachother too much. ;)

Don't piss on my clip -- you find a better one if you disagree, keep this positive. A lott of people enjoyed this one, don't slam me just because you disagree with their premise.

This is what I speak of when I mentioned manners in the other thread. A lot of people here have Asperger's Syndrome or something (look it up on wikipedia if you don't know what that is), maybe that kind of person gravitates to mil gaming.

Someone else on the board referred to it as OCD. We do get pretty obsessive about details that 90% of the world doesn't even know exist. I wonder if there's a knitting chat group out there where people get outraged at the perceived inappropriate use of Shetland wool. ;):D

lol, ok ok, relax dude smile.gif

I wasn't dissing your clip in particular, just pointing out that any such discussion is, ultimately, pointless, though they can also be very interesting and entertaining - much like "which celebrity hottie would you bring to a tropical island" discussion :D