A bit of news on the intel Apples

MikeyD

Hot off the presses - or off the monitor. Apple just unveiled its new 'Core Duo processor' Intel chip-powered G5 imacs, somewhat ahead of schedule. The new model's supposed to be 2-3 times faster than the IBM chip imac G5.

Now BFc should run to the store right now, buy themselves a new imac, then report back to use on whether CMx2 will work on the danged thing! :eek: Remember, I've been procrastinating on a computer upgrade for the past 6 months. I would like to know if apple hasn't once again torpedoed BFC's 'best-layed-plans'.

[ January 10, 2006, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

But nobody's mentioning the elephant in the room.

Will the new chip be game-friendly?

Remember how everybody's jaw dropped when they found out OSX wasn't going to be CMx1-compatible? I half expect to eventually hear "Yes the new chip will run CMx2 but with no smoke graphics... or with a stuttering frame rate... or with the knockout areas on the skins all displaying as majenta!"

Originally posted by Matchstick:

I know this is probably heresy, but even if CMx2 can't/won't be made MacIntel compatible you will at least still have the option of installing Windows on the machine and dual booting to that when you need a CM fix (also provides a fix to the CMx1/OSX problem).

True but I am waiting to see it done

(and checking various websites for the proof)

I feel CMx2 will undoubtedly be developed for the MacIntel architecture, and of course, transparent to the OSX user interface. The bad news is, it will leave my 17” PowerBook out in the cold. No CMx2 on the road??, Rats! The G5-Quad will also eventually show up in the clearance bin, unfortunately another non-candidate, Double-Rats! Upgrading my desktop (a beige G3!) actually hinges on which way CMx2 goes! Ahhh Well; I’ve waited this long........

Originally posted by Matchstick:

I know this is probably heresy, but even if CMx2 can't/won't be made MacIntel compatible you will at least still have the option of installing Windows on the machine and dual booting to that when you need a CM fix (also provides a fix to the CMx1/OSX problem).

Thats the BIG question

My understanding of the situation is that in the past year (sometime) Apple has stated (for the record I think) it won't "support" windows on its intel Macs BUT more importantly, it won't do anything specific or intentional to PREVENT a Windows OS from being installed on a Mac Intel machine. (lack of software drivers for video cards and periferal devices are always a problem, even in the windows world, so Apple is just saying IMHO, the won't make it "easy" like running OS X on an Intel Machine which won't be dead simple either until all the software an drivers (i.e. video drivers scanner drivers, printer drivers, (at additional user expense) are upgraded for the Intel chip so they does not have to run on the Rosetta emulation software layer.)

Does anyone else have any further clarification about that?

-tom w

[ January 11, 2006, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Karch says this in the other thread in the general forum:

interesting...

Reading at some geek sites. it looks like it will be quite a chore getting XP running on a new intelMac, but Vista should install pretty easily. I just found the quote. I don't know it's for real, but it makes sense.

But XP *won't* work with the new Macbooks. It requires a PC BIOS, and the Macbook uses EFI BIOS. This is *not* a trivial issue to work around!

Windows Vista supports EFI bios, so it will be fine... (XP 64-bit supports EFI, too, but Yonah can't run XP64)

I hope it works. I might be able to get a Mac as my next laptop for home and work.

Why take a great machine and put a crap OS on it?

Might as well use a Ferrari in a demolition derby (after all its a car isn’t it).

Next people will be want to have their machine dual boot OS X or Win XP and then bitch that the hard drive isn't big enough for both.

If you need a Windows box buy one and a KVM so you can share the one screen and keyboard between the two.

This new development is great! CM:SF is slated to run on OSX regardless of the chip set, but now we are more sure that we can make something that will run equally well on PowerPC and Intel chips. We were holding off from starting on a MacOS version until we were reasonably sure that Apple wasn't going to deal us another last minute "gotcha" like they did with RAVE support under OSX.

Unfortunately, due to problems with compilers on the Mac and the uncertainty of the new Intel Macs, we held off making anything for OSX thus far. Because of where we are in development we aren't going to stop and port to the Mac right now. What we will instead do is continue to make the game and then evaluate our porting options when it is nearly finished. It might mean no simultaneous release. We don't know yet. But a release for MacOS is certain to happen no matter what. Worst case a few months after the PC version.

Steve

So if I read the Intel Macs may boot XP article correctly and "... Apple has included a Compatibility Support Module, Intel-based Macs should be able to boot XP..." then all I may need to be CMx1 and CMx2 capable is a new 'Core Duo processor' Intel chip-powered G5 iMac, an XP OS, 3 - PC editions of CMx1 and I could run CMx1 and CMx2 on my new Intel Mac :confused:

Dawg... wondering if the OSX and XP OS could make babies.. what would they look like? smile.gif

You are probably right Peter. :D

I was kinda hoping for a Number Nine, Jeri Ryan Borg or better a Number Six, Tricia Helfer Cylon looking offspring... but... if an Apple Intel Machine can also boot XP and play all the CMx1s and 2s ... looking and playing the games well... that could fulfill the Cylon machine warriors quest to fulfill their programming & purify the universe of imperfection. As long as they don't have kids that look like Space Lobsters or sumpin. ;)

Dawg ... a galactic genetic guru LLC ;)

RE; XP-Imperfection... that is why I would keep a separate volume.. outside my new Number Six, Cylon looking Apple Intel babe... ugh... machine... so as not to contaminate her with XP cooties. There shouldn't be any social stigma to having lice, any more than like having a common cold and if it runs CMx1&2... just follow the pediculosis association warnings. smile.gif

Dawg... seeking gaming perfection in the imperfect kutu of XP

Well even if I can do it when my MacBook Pro arrives I won’t.

Will continue to use my P4 machine in the degleted part of the office and use my Keyboard Video Mouse (KVM) switch to display the spwan of Redmond on my nice 23” Apple display.

I’d just rather keep it all separate than have to worry about allocating space, video card support, etc.

Thanks Wicky!

great link

" posted January 14, 2006 07:09 PM

Intel Macs may boot XP after all"

good article!

So, as long as Apple has included a Compatibility Support Module, Intel-based Macs should be able to boot XP.

It seems unlikely that Apple would have left this out. It has already said it isn’t doing anything to prevent Windows from booting on a Mac.

A Mac that can legally run Windows/Linux/OS X on the one box is the ‘ultimate PC’ in compatibility terms, which should further drive hardware sales. Considering Apple includes the operating system with every Mac purchase, its OS revenue isn’t endangered by allowing people to install Windows on a Mac post-sale. And it seems very unlikely that US Department of Justice will force Apple to sell Macs without an operating system anytime soon.

Of course, Apple can’t condone or encourage running Windows on Macs, because that would cause Mac developers to question whether they should continue investing in the OS X platform if Apple is not fully committed.

It’s a ‘wink wink, nod nod’ situation, where Apple must know that allowing users to run Windows on a Mac can only help boost Apple’s bottom-line.

It’s a ‘wink wink, nod nod’ situation, where Apple must know that allowing users to run Windows on a Mac can only help boost Apple’s bottom-line.
This is likely the case.

Apple didn't go with Intel because they offered a better chip than IBM. One thing for sure, Apple sacrificed on hardware when you consider the current state of IBM’s semiconductor development. (See below)

Daniel Lyons

30 January 2006

Forbes

Volume 177 Issue 2

English

© 2006 Forbes Inc.

IBM's radical Cell processor, to debut in Sony's PlayStation 3, could reshape entertainment and spark the next high-tech boom.

Later this year millions of homes will get a new supercomputer for the living room. Or maybe the playroom. Sony's long-awaited PlayStation 3 game console, a slender yet muscular machine the size of a DVD player, performs a mind-boggling 2 trillion calculations per second. This kind of power, once reserved for seismic exploration and nuclear-weapons design, will let programmers create videogames that look as realistic as film.

Some techies say PlayStation 3, which may debut by midyear and could end up in 100 million homes in five years, will usher in the next microchip revolution. The Sony system owes its prowess to a microprocessor called Cell, which was cooked up by chip wizards at IBM (with help from Sony and Toshiba) at a cost of $400 million over five years. The Cell chip, based on a design inspired by supercomputers, runs at least ten times as fast as Intel's most powerful Pentium. More important, Cell boasts a staggering fiftyfold advantage in handling graphics-intensive applications that will define the next generation of visual entertainment--blindingly fast and seductively immersive games, virtual-reality romps, wireless downloads, real-time video chat, interactive TV shows with multiple endings and a panoply of new services yet to be dreamed up.

regards