A moment if you will, for poor Charles.

Having been a dev, and under immense pressure at times, I know what it's like to be dreaming in code, then waking up and all your beautiful fixes evaporate.

And rushing - whoa, not that I'm implying anything, I'm talking about myself here - rushing code out the door when I knew better than the users the problems they'd face but being forced to do it anyway.

So. I've a cheeky red here that I'll raise and toast "Le Patch, Le fiole, Le Roi!".

And may god have mercy on his poor tired eyes.

Take a friggin brake. A few weeks vacation without touching another line of code. Only the most unthankful of whiners would disapprove. Getting burnt-out is a bigger threat to business then getting a patch a out a few weeks later.

Dear Charles.

I just played through the training campaign on Elite and enjoyed myself immensely. I really like the 1:1 representation and the MOUT fighting (last battle of the campaign). I lost two Strykers and two sqd's to AT stuff (I guess RPG's) but still took the town with my remaining squad and Strykers. I had no troubles moving the Strykers around in the small town in between the houses and all.

The new Support stuff is great and the whole tactical feel of it all is right there and in your face ... loving it! Also FWIW I love the music score and the pre battle GUI.

Looking forward to playing through it all and to digging deep into this new title.

Here's to all your many lines of love ready to rock the PC's and laptop's of the world on many a long night!

Thank you and all the best

Frans

A true genious can for sure morph himself from spirit of the mortals to a spirit of this forum, which of course Charles already has!

(Hint: Look for posts by SGT_56M.) <-- Wrong redface.gif

All the best

Frans

Edited to hang my own error out to dry. So nice to display ones ignorance for the masses. I stand corrected!

[ August 01, 2007, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: HawkerT ]

I feel with you, Charles.

It's hard enough, to hold a deadline in a project. But if you are forced to deliver prior, due to management deisions and you are alone, and there is no team to bear the load on several shoulders, not even a second person, that allows to rest for the one or other day, with trust, that the other person is working on it, and then, when already all power was invested to hold the deadline, a wave of additional work comes back, that should have been done best already yesterday, without any hope of a free minute for weeks, then this is hard, really hard.

I find it not ok from the management side, to put the only programmer that way under pressure with illusional deadlines. I hope this will be a lesson for upcoming releases.

SGT_56M is a tester named Charles, not the same as the brain in the jar :D Having said that, the other Charles is pretty good at what he does, as is the other Charles. That Charles also thinks the other Charles is pretty cool. In conclusion, we like people named Charles!

Seriously... I'll pass along the sentiments! He'll be glad to hear it as he tries to figure out what ATI decided to make some drivers not like keyboard input. We looooooove drivers!

Steve