System Reqs - Come Bitch Here!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, that card should work, I just can't predict how well.

The specs currently listed on the order page are still *best guess* based on our internal testing and I was a little more conservative than maybe I should have been but CMSF does like a powerful system, that much is for sure!

Madmatt

I'm actually rather surprised at how low the minimum specs are. Can't imagine real time would be much fun if you barely creep above the minimum (perhaps with settings on low), but fortunately I nearly match the suggested specs.

Fortunately video cards are pretty cheap nowadays. A serviceable 6600/6800 should only run you about $60. Quite a step up from the FX line.

System Requirements

MINIMUM:

Operating System: Windows XP

Processor: Pentium IV 2.6 GHz or AMD Athlon 2.0 GHz

Video Card: GeForce 5700 or Radeon 9600

(128 Megabyte VRAM or better)

Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card

System Memory: 512 Megabytes RAM

Hard Drive Space: 1 Gigabyte

Other Requirements: CD Drive (not needed for download version)

System Requirements

SUGGESTED:

Operating System: Windows XP

Processor: Pentium IV 3.2 GHz or equivalent speed AMD processor or better

Video Card: GeForce 6800 or Radeon x850

(256 Megabyte VRAM or better)

Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card

System Memory: 1 Gigabyte or more RAM

Hard Drive Space: 1 Gigabyte

Other Requirements: CD Drive (not needed for download version)

The specs were actually based on the same ones posted for ToW since on comperable systems, they seem to run about the same.

As with any CM game though, the size of the map and battle affects performance more than anything so if you create some massive bloodbath, your performance is going to suffer more than a smaller platoon level firefight.

Keep this in mind because the scale of CMSF was designed to be far smaller than earlier CM titles.

Madmatt

And most of the scenarios are not huge, especially for those wanting to play RT. I have run it on a P4 with a 128MB video card and its just fine, and on a 96MB shared mono-vid card that ran it but occasionally slowed unless I went to low detail specs. Then it ran fine but wasnt as pretty.

But the comp I play it on is a Core 2 Duo/ 3Gig with an ATI Radeon x600 256 MB card with 1 gig of RAM with all Best details and it runs just fine. So since that is a lower end comp, most of you guys should be fine.

Well I have a Celeron 2gig/ 512MB Ram 64MB SiS Vid Card that refuses to run CMSF. In fact it Starts, then Laughs at me in a evil Kathy Griffen kind of way. And says Dude, You Got a Dell (You asshole) smile.gif

Originally posted by Cameroon:

Heh, Sixxkiller, you're machine isn't exactly "low end" for most wargamers smile.gif

I have a AMD Athlon 2GB, 1GB RAM, GeForce 6600 GT. The game runs well, although the thing is, like in CMx1, you can build scenarios that bring the performance down, and so a better system can run even bigger things and with more detail. In converse, even a lowly rig could run the game, but would it run most of the scenarios smoothly? No. So nothing absolute can be said about requirements.

Originally posted by Sixxkiller:

Well I have a Celeron 2gig/ 512MB Ram 64MB SiS Vid Card that refuses to run CMSF. In fact it Starts, then Laughs at me in a evil Kathy Griffen kind of way. And says Dude, You Got a Dell (You asshole) smile.gif

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cameroon:

Heh, Sixxkiller, you're machine isn't exactly "low end" for most wargamers smile.gif

</font>

In my sig are my system specs... It took me a while to build a scenario that brought my box to it's knees.

I also have been testing on my laptop which is closer to the min spec and it has run nicely. the difference in performance between the two is not very noticeble. (Good news for RT TCP players with lower spec systems. You won't be punished like those playing online FPS.)

When you get a good look at the graphics for this game, and see the detail plus all the calculations running in the background you will see that the specs are quite spectacular for what you are getting.

But it does seem to make a difference in more RAM and the better the Vid card. I think 1Gig RAM and having a 256mb vid card is the important part. P4 and C2D doesnt make much difference IMO for CMSF.

1 of the 128MB cards I have used is a shared onboard Intel and it did just fine. The editor took longer to load and all but this was also like 2.5 months ago, so the game runs much better now. I can only imagine how it would look and play on a top end system. Wonder if Alienware would consider me being a beta tester for thier rigs. smile.gif

FWIW, I just played a game with no major worries, my PC is an old 1GHz with 256MB RAM, albeit with a new GeForce 7600GS with 256MB RAM.

It was a smallish scen force wise, and open rural terrain.

Well my PC will be able to run it, but I thought the recommended system requirements would be lower. I am worried about my RAM since ToW was a slideshow for me ( it even took like 5 min to load!). I'm glad that the size of the game is relatively small compared to today's game, where they need like 5 gigs of hard drive space!

AMD Athlon XP 2000, 512 MB RAM, Nvidia Geforce 6800

A question for the developers: in which amount the following components of the PC influence game performance: processor, graphic card and RAM?

I mean, I have a Pentium 4 3.00 Ghz with 1 Gb RAM and a Geforce 5200: if I don't want to change the whole PC, I can only upgrade the graphic card to a GF6800 or better (I have to check the compatibility of newer AGPs with my motherboard) and the RAM to 2 Gb.

Will then the game play smoother even if the processor is still 3.00 Ghz?

Thanks

Originally posted by Nicdain:

A question for the developers: in which amount the following components of the PC influence game performance: processor, graphic card and RAM?

That's something that not even Tom's Hardware could give an answer to! smile.gif Don't expect the developers to know, they do software, not hardware. And there's not just the amount of memory, but also the speed of it to consider.

Originally posted by Nicdain:

I mean, I have a Pentium 4 3.00 Ghz with 1 Gb RAM and a Geforce 5200: if I don't want to change the whole PC, I can only upgrade the graphic card to a GF6800 or better (I have to check the compatibility of newer AGPs with my motherboard) and the RAM to 2 Gb.

Will then the game play smoother even if the processor is still 3.00 Ghz?

Thanks

It's impossible to answer such a specific question without testing it (and every other possible combination that might be asked about). But my guestimate would be 'yes'. I would suspect that the main bottleneck in your system is that Gf5200. Now, the hard question is: is the difference worth the price tag? Would it in the end be better to go straight to a new MoBo+processor? I don't know. But video cards are cheap, as is memory. And that processor is faster than mine, so it should have no serious problems with the game.