Playing without a CD

Stealing? I dont think so. I was just wondering if there was a way not to lug my cd from computer to computer, i play at work and also have have some of the kids in my history class use the scenario editor to make scenarios for famous battles in WWII. I have bought evey edition of the game to support the guys at Battlefront. Im not a pirate and apologize if it came out that way.

One trick, the game program only checks for a cd when it starts up. As long as you leave the game open and the computer on, you can then remove the cd to place in another computer.

I have done that with BB and AK for pyewackets converter tool. start BB, minimize, remove cd, insert AK cd, start AK, minimize. etc.

Power failures and 3 year olds may change the results requiring you to have a cd handy.

Wait, these CDVs put a hard copy protection on their CDs but then don't require it?

That's almost as absurd as BFC requiring a CD which isn't copy protected in first place.

I love how I as the honest customer has to add CD-ROM drives to my computer and the pirates just use the non-CD patch.

CDV's Combat Mission: Antholgy triple pack don't require CD's in drive. This is very good since for example I run around with my laptop playing TCP/IP games. I really dislike carrying my game cds with me. But this changed with patch 1.02 to CM:AK. Why now there is CD check altough we have come this far without needing any checks?

The CDV Anthology Pack is the first CM version that doesn't require a copy protection check. All previous versions required the CD to be loaded for a copy protection check. The BFC version of CMAK does require the CD, as did the original version from CDV (to my knowledge).

CDV patches usually come from CDV. In the past you couldn't use the BFC patch to patch a CDV version of the game. One reason was due to different copy protection mechanisms and another was language ports and slight differences between the code (since CDV would get the code a bit earlier than BFC would release it for domestic/rest-of-world distribution).

CMAK seems to have changed this, with BFC releasing patches that can be applied to the CDV versions of the game. My assumption here is that the copy protection was retained for the BFC version and it just happens to be CDV compatible. Since the Anthology was the only version to have no copy protection and the patch wasn't released specifically for CDV - it's just one of those trade-offs - you get the patch without having to wait for CDV to release it (and they may not release one - I don't honestly know).

This may seem annoying to you, but the copy protection is something that CDV has decided upon. They used something different from BFC's in the past and the Anthology just happened to be a game that they decided it wouldn't be worth licensing copy protection for. It's a matter completely out of BFC's hands/jurisdiction (assuming that may be the standard for developer/distributor contracts).

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Since the Anthology was the only version to have no copy protection and the patch wasn't released specifically for CDV - it's just one of those trade-offs - you get the patch without having to wait for CDV to release it (and they may not release one - I don't honestly know).

If CDV wants their logos back maybe they will release own patch, since BF version patch removes all CDV splash screens and refenrences to CDV tongue.gif

Firstly, excuse my bad english, i work day to day to improve it.

I would like to explain that, on my opinion, we dont have to accept the pc games counterfeiting. The main reason is the profits we get paying by a legal copy:

1. The developers team and the manufacturer company will get cash to continue at work, creating new and better games, patches or updates.

2. We get a legal product, with all guarantees included. High quality CD without errors. (Or we can apply for a new copy returning the CD that doesnt work).

Moreover, the CM games producers, have choosen to sell the product with a very competitive price, and often, they listen our requeriments (patches or updates for exmaple)through the players forum.

However, i use a non CD program to play CM games. The reason: My first CMAK CD broke several months ago by the middle. I had to wait 2 weeks to receive the new one, and, of course, i had to pay it. Now, i dont need CD to play, and i have the 3 originals disks well protected at home. (I travel a lot because my job and i play in my laptop).

In the future, when these wonderful guys launch the next CM games generation, you can be sure i will pay for them. I love to have the original with instructions and box. But the next thing i will do, it will be to get the not needed CD program.

Alex.

I think it is not correct to think that most people who do not to use the CD's when playing are pirates. Look at most flight Simulator sites. The average player is over 30 for flight simulator 9. They all have the No CD in their essential file lists.

It is a knee jerk reaction when the forum calls pirate as soon as someone does not want to use their CD to play. Look at any forum that has games mainly played by adults. They are use No Cd's.

I would question the ethics of those calling people pirates, do they feel guilty.

I know I have Battle Front receipts for my 3 disks.

Just another view on the topic.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...