At last, the full gamut of WW2

I tell you what, there have been a number of posts on the GF about just this kind of game.

Thanks to BFC for listening. With them behind the project, the end result is guaranteed to be done right!

By the way, I see a full circle here, as the trend to expand continues, we may see the title

Big Time Software

resurrected. ;)

Now where's Joe Shaw? He was screaming the loudest!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Wilhammer:

I think what we expect is Combat Mission at Sea -and I hope that is what we get.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that Wilhammer. The original Modern Naval Battles was a fairly "beer & pretzels" style card based game that was no where near as complicated as Up Front for example. It was highly abstract with a level of complexity not much more evolved than Naval War (yet still good fun!)

Regards

Jim R.

Originally posted by sitzkrieg:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sergei:

Are Finns included?

Yes. They only have row boats but can somehow take out the Bismarck with a fishing hook and an oar. :D </font>

The upcoming computer games, Down in Flames and Modern Naval Battles are both based on very popular and successful table top games published by Dan Verssen Games. They are not however games in the same vein as Combat Mission as they use a totally different style of gameplay, one which uses "action and reaction cards" to carry out certain activities, attacks and manouvers.

While the CM series is more of a realistic combat simulation, these offerings are meant more as "games" in that they can be picked up easily but will offer lots of enjoyment and replayability while still rewarding those with a good sense of strategy and tactics.

I guess the best comparison would be in looking at how different of a game system Strategic Command was over CM. Both of them are fun but certainly different types of games that approach their respective topics in different ways. The same applies to these new titles.

I would strongly urge people to look over Dan's current website (www.dvg.com) to get a better understanding of the types of games his company has done in the past, and then of course add a little imagination and think of what he and Battlefront.com together will come up with. ;)

Madmatt

From what I have read, both these games (by virtue of their sequence of play) would lend themselves readily to excellent AI scripting.

Of course I am no computer guy, so will have to get confirmation from others. But it would appear to be practical.

Wait until the WW2 naval grogs see the King George V and the Bismarck with 16" main batteries. At least that's what the sneak preview of the Modern Naval Battles "World War 2 at Sea" card game shows. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D:D:D:D

[ April 16, 2004, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Dave H ]

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

Um.. the Modern Naval Battle games I'm seeing on their website are modern, yet the game BFC is advertising is WWII (which I wouldn't consider modern). I do see an upcoming "WWII At Sea" game, though...

Am I confused? :confused:

IIRC, they're going back to WWII.

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

And it's still called modern? :confused:

WW2 is pretty much modern to most of us, you spineless landlubber. 'em new-fangled radars and aircraft carriers and... BAH! When I was young, men were made of iron and galleys of wood. Except that we used to only have bronze back in those good days. The whole seafaring started going downstream with the invention of all those modern gadgets, like anchor and alcohol-free grog. Their inventors should have been keel-hauled! Arrrr! :mad: