At last, the full gamut of WW2

RICHIE: Flat Top was the best naval board game I ever played. It represented the carrier battles beautifully, yet simply. And those old massive carboard backed playing boards were awesome. I used a Ping Pong table with the net down to spread 'em out for gaming against a neighborhood buddy. That was 25 years ago!! Did anyone else play Avalon Hills' Flat Top?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Richie:

Anything like 'Flat Top'?

Now that was an excellent board game!

That was what I was hoping for.

That was more or less learning how to control an aircraft carrier and it's attached planes.

As for this card process, is it like a deck of cards, randomly shuffled and as you use one you replace it from a deck?

I am looking forward to the bone throws and downloading the demo when it comes out. For both this and DiF.

As much as "CM at Sea" would jazz lots of people, a fun (but not entirely mindless) beer & pretzels game that doesn't require a hard core gamers rig to run has its place, IMHO.

A little more info on the mechanics of these sorts of card games would be nice, as I have never played any of this sort before.

Edit: Ah, OK, the mechanics topic has a thread going over in DiF.

[ May 09, 2004, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: Shosties4th ]

Originally posted by Colonel J Lee:

RICHIE: Flat Top was the best naval board game I ever played. It represented the carrier battles beautifully, yet simply. And those old massive carboard backed playing boards were awesome. I used a Ping Pong table with the net down to spread 'em out for gaming against a neighborhood buddy. That was 25 years ago!! Did anyone else play Avalon Hills' Flat Top?

I never got around to playing it. To get the full juice from it would have required an umpire and I didn't even have an opponent in those days. But I worshipped it.

I also bought the original Yaquinto version when it came out around 1977 or so. If any boardgame ever deserved being made into a computer game, this is the one.

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Michael

Michael, I never heard of the Yaquinto version. Was it much different from the one to which I refer? Actually, the one I had a box with the rising sun on it and the red rays extending around the entire box cover and sides.

No there wasn't much difference. I still own both of them. Can't talk myself into getting rid of them.

I don't think Yaquinto did a version. I think it was Battleline then AH bought them out and then put it out under their banner. Don't think much was changed between the 2 versions AFAIK.

I know Yaquinto did one, it was called CV. I don't remember Battleline doing one. I believe, just looking at the two games, that CV was the game used to make Flattop.

Simulations Canada also had some very good WWII ship combat games. They resembled CM more though as they were pretty detailed ship to ship combat games.

Panther Commander

Originally posted by Frenchy:

P.C. - I am probably getting the 2 mixed up. As for Yaquito Games - I played Ultimatum quite a bit...Nuclear War simulation...

Yup, still have it too. I have about 200 board games still out there in the garage... :D

My wife keeps threatening them with extinction but so far they have made all the downsizing cuts... smile.gif

Panther Commander

I had that many at one time...saved a few and sold the rest through ebay. Couldn't find opponents. Now that I have a son who is approaching 5 he'll soon be ready. I kept the following games: Submarine, Mustangs, Air Force and Dauntless, Speed Circuit, Richtofen's War and Blue Max.

Man...

I sold my Flat Top 15 years ago... A few days later, it was the saddest thing I ever did... :(

When I was about 12 years old...? My old man took me to a 'Hobby Store' for my birthday. Man, I've always loved WW II. I grew up with Hogans Heroes, Rat Patrol and all those English naval movies from the 40's and 50's. I saw Flat Top and I read the back of the box and said "I WANT THIS!"

15 years on and I still can't understand why I sold it... There'll always be a little piece inside me that misses it... young and stupid!

If Modern Navy Battles, WWII at Sea turns out anything like it, anything at all, I'll be hooked!

It really was intense!

:D

Richie

Guys, I think there's some confusion here between two different board games. Battleline originally published "Flat Top" long ago. Avalon Hill eventually bought out Battleline and published some of their games, including "Flat Top", "Dauntless", and "Air Force". Yaquinto published their own very similar game, titled "CV".

The mechanics of the games were similar. "Flat Top" covered the Solomon Islands campaign, while "CV" covered the Battle of Midway. I never actually played "CV", but I had the fun of playing "Flat Top" several times. I still remember how the Allied aircraft based in New Guinea could barely make it over the mountains to attack the Japanese base on the northern coast.

Speaking of Yaquinto reminds me of some of their other titles. I had "Panzer", "88", and "Armor", which had the most detailed armor rules of any game I ever played. They were amazing, and I'm sure glad "Combat Mission" has let the computer take care of the entire shot resolution process.

If "Modern Naval Battles" does well, I'd sure like to see a similar computer card game based on another old Yaquinto board game. That would be their wonderful "Ironclads" game. This card system looks like it would work very well with the naval warfare of the American Civil War period. Of course, I'd love to see a "Combat Mission" level game of the ironclads, too.

hmm, I'm not all that keen on these old card games though I do like em when computers take out all the old boring parts of it....still, I'm waiting on a WW2 Harpoon....

Also we don't see much in the way of forum interest or details on this game (like for instance with SC2)...more details & designer input round here and maybe I'll get excited.

• 2 months later...

Its nice that there will (or may) be a CM like Naval war game, Admiral Nimtz would be proud. A few things I would like to see are the hit the forcastle where the gunner is usually at because all he does is pull the trigger and calls for adjustments like a spotter but anywho I'd like to see a ship 'disarmed' by one of these hits and turret penetration cause an instant "knock out" like the HMS Hod was killed, and my last on (finally) is to have the ability to MG floating helpless survivors :eek: ...I wonder if subs will be featured

Gen. J-sun, Modern Naval Battles is not going to be a "CM like Naval war game". Just to clear that up. The game mechanics are based on Dan Verssen's award-winning card game. MNB-WW2 is not going to be a simulation (even though it'll be 3D), but a strategy game.

And yes, subs are in. Same as carriers, air attacks and the like. We should have a website with some more detailed information up sometime soon hopefully.

Martin

arizona.jpg

Absolutely. I'd love to see Flat Top invoked on the PC, 3D or no. I'd probably prefer no actually, 'cause then I'd know they really focused on the gameplay and such.

The very talented Dan Olding of BFC created the ships and water scenes.

They will be the foundation of the art of the upcoming card game from Phalanx as well as BFC's computer game. I did the layout and game stats on the cards and they turned out looking great because of his work.

Many thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I playtested modern naval battles long long ago

and I still have the basic game and the 2 expansions

it is a fun game but if you want good wwii surface ship action get fighting steel and then the patch from Naval warfare simulations

http://www.navalwarfare.org/~content/index.html

they have really added a lot to that game

Fighting Steel would be a closer sim to CM

it is a 2d/3d real time sim the naval warfare guys have added Italians,French and Russians plus later ships that apper after 1942 plus some of the converted 1920's BC's that where made in to CV's

the game does not have subs or aircraft attacks in the game

aircraft attacks are handled as an after action report

I will be getting this new card game when it comes out