HOI is more realistic than SC2? Talk about damning with faint praise!

I have played HOI 1, HOI2, and Doomsday. If your definition of realism is Japan conquering the United States, or The Rise of the Mighty Albanian Empire, you'll love HOI. I actually do enjoy the pre-war diplomacy and research. It's when war begins that the game falls apart. There you are signing diplomatic treaties and choosing whether to research better aircraft or better tanks, and 30 seconds later you have to decide whether the 10th Panzer Division attacks at 9 a.m. or 10 a.m.

Oh, what I would to merge SC2's turn-based system with HOI's economics and research...

Diced Tomato

Originally posted by Gérard Le Poer Trench:

mr diced tomato have you ever played hearts of iron? Because than you will know that it is first far more realistic than SC2 and second much more strategy involving it more options great diplomacy and all the country's in the world. So next time you write something find out by yourself

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hush, little Gerald. Just keep pretending that one minute Winston Churchiill is pondering whether to invade Vichy, and the next minute he's ordering the 2nd Dive Bomber Squadron to attack at 7 a.m. This is not rapid decision-making. It's instant gratification for the hyperactive.

I wasn't talking about AI Japan invading the U.S. The HOI AI is even dumber than SC2's. But a human player can take a weak nation and do all sorts of fascinating things.

Meanwhile, let's take another trip to the HOI AAR page. Oh, look, there's Germany invading South Africa...

Diced Tomato

In over 50 years of a'times utterly irresponsible and profligate relationship between myself and the Common Weal and Good,

I have nonetheless TRIED to refrain

From throwing hard-earned

Dollars down the sewer-drain. smile.gif

One of those times when I abjectly failed

Was... when I purchased

Hearts of Iron.

A more stupidly ridiculous WW-2 war-game

I shall NEVER find.

Ever.

Even should I discover

The Philosopher's Stone

(... or HGH derivative that is

herbal, holistic and not likely

to annihilate my vulnerable innards)

And live another 50 years.

Gotta agree with diced tomato. I really enjoyed the prewar part of HOI2 but as soon as the war started I lost my feel for the game. To many units, to much micromanagment.

Nothing beats a true turn based classic such as the general series, SC or SC2.

Maybe one day it will all come together: grand strategic decisions, research and diplomacy, specific unit types and abilities, specific leader abilities and promotions etc.

Maybe SC3 will be THE perfect game.

Dr, Tomato called it "Megalomania" after diagnosing the irrational belief that the Axis could take the Middle East despite empty gas tanks, wipe out the Royal Navy with a few U-boats, and leap tall buildings in a single bound.

But it's Hearts of Iron that's really Megalo Heaven. Play Germany, crank down the Allied AI to Stupid, and boom! South Africa falls before your mighty panzers! Wham! Ecuador becomes Aryan!

To be fair, there are some very good and hard-working HOI modders who spend an incredible amount of time trying to create historical scenarios. HOI's event system makes SC2's look bland as baby food. But they're wasting their time on a silly real-time engine and an AI that can't cope with it.

Diced Tomato

Originally posted by Blashy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mr.Dozer:

hi i was wondering were i could get some stats on which contry contributed what in WW2 since I cant find it (after trying to. Because I always hear USA did most of the work and Russia did alot of work. So just would like something to compare it to.

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/weapons_and_manpower.htm

See that and someone tell me how Germany had a chance to win? </font>

Originally posted by Desert Dave:

In over 50 years of a'times utterly irresponsible and profligate relationship between myself and the Common Weal and Good,

I have nonetheless TRIED to refrain

From throwing hard-earned

Dollars down the sewer-drain. smile.gif

One of those times when I abjectly failed

Was... when I purchased

Hearts of Iron.

A more stupidly ridiculous WW-2 war-game

I shall NEVER find.

Ever.

Even should I discover

The Philosopher's Stone

(... or HGH derivative that is

herbal, holistic and not likely

to annihilate my vulnerable innards)

And live another 50 years.

Here's a little tip. When you see RTS, don't bother.

The Axis is stronger because of the air power issue.

Remove that and you can't steamroll through everything.

When Barbarossa starts Axis have 5 AFs at their disposal, buy another one (or two) and just watch cities fall "too" easily.

You don't even need tech, although LR really makes it lethal because you can continue your advances in the winter if you place them properly before winter arrives.

I've been trying to find a counter for some time but there is none, the reality is that the down in morale and readiness is too harsh to how it occured.

Can't we just make ANTI-AIRCRAFT RADAR tech also apply to units in cities and have it also protect from fighters as well? This would supply a counter.

Originally posted by KG:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Blashy:

The Axis is stronger because of the air power issue.

Remove that and you can't steamroll through everything.

When Barbarossa starts Axis have 5 AFs at their disposal, buy another one (or two) and just watch cities fall "too" easily.

You don't even need tech, although LR really makes it lethal because you can continue your advances in the winter if you place them properly before winter arrives.

I've been trying to find a counter for some time but there is none, the reality is that the down in morale and readiness is too harsh to how it occured.

Can't we just make ANTI-AIRCRAFT RADAR tech also apply to units in cities and have it also protect from fighters as well? This would supply a counter. </font>

hi i was wondering were i could get some stats on which contry contributed what in WW2 since I cant find it (after trying to. Because I always hear USA did most of the work and Russia did alot of work. So just would like something to compare it to.

Originally posted by Iriemon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Blashy:

Personally I think the biggest impact the US had in the war in Europe was our ability to supply the Allies with vast amounts of war matrial and it's air power, both of which are under represented in this game. But I do come back to the problem of game balance and I am not sure I would muck with it much.

Originally posted by Lars:

But not a good one.

Even the production numbers are flawed. Producing what?

A Brewster Buffalo or T-26 counts the same as a P-51 or JS-3.

Well I think if the gameplayer decides to only build top level tech tanks, even if he could buy alot, he would be limited by mpps and other areas would suffer (armies maybe?).

It is a decent benchmark in showing that USA should be able to produce more planes and tanks than the Germans. No?

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by KG:

Can't we just make ANTI-AIRCRAFT RADAR tech also apply to units in cities and have it also protect from fighters as well? This would supply a counter.

It was suggested some time ago in beta, lets see what the futur holds. </font>