Anti air defense suggestion

First I must congratulate to you for patch v1.2. Finally I have found time to play it and AI is much better and game is much better in generally. Still, work on AI is far from over. Just a few crucial suggestions for AI:

-make it that AI don’t attempt amphibious assaults without HQ.

-make it that AI always (if it can) trying to destroy enemy units completely.

-don’t know how AI works in diplomacy but it should invest more in it, especially in Spain.

And now AA suggestion:

AA should protect units in city against air fleets also. It is illogical that AA works only against strategic bombardments.

Basically Anti Aircraft Radar can only spot Bomber Fleets, not low flying tactical Bombers and "Jagdbomber" (sorry I miss the english expression!)... for that reason the technology itself cannot provide that service.

I would recommend that it should be possible to buy certain "Anti Aircraft equipment" consisting of small calibers like 20mm and 37mm vs. Airfleets and bigger guns vs. Strategic Bombers... to me it doesn`t make any sense that once you conquer a city and !hey presto! you get AA guns for free... and the same level in every city worldwide...

I.e. I don`t want to protect Prague, but it should be possible to fortify each city individually against Aircraft attack, i.e. the player can buy 3 levels for each city from the beginning on. Anti Aircraft radar might improve the value once you bought it..

From SC2 Manual:

“ANTI-AIRCRAFT RADAR RESEARCH

This research area provided both sides with more effective defense from air attacks, by improving detection capability and developing larger, more accurate anti-aircraft guns.”

If this tech develops more accurate anti-aircraft guns why this guns can fire only on bombers?

I was wondering if it'd be possible to increase the Air Defence of ground units with some Anti-Air tech advances. Not with every advance, just at say level 3.

That sort of thing might just overcomplicate things though. It'd certainly need balance testing, but it's a way to give people spin-off incentives for researching the less used techs.

@vveedd. Something to do with height & speed? Whether that was the case IRL or not, I suspect that'd be the justification here.

This might also help the "bomb the enemy unit in the

city into dust" tactic we discussed about a couple

of weeks ago...

I mean the Germans were running around in 1944 with

these things:

ostwind.jpg

Yet AA tech does NOTHING vs. ground attack planes?

Ships likewise could also be upgradable-early in the

war air attack vs. ships was underrated and only

a few countries (US) were seemingly aware of the

danger.

Would be nice to try it out. Raise the research tech cost to 100 but add in the AA ability to counter planes. It seems like a win-win situation. It opens up a research arm that is usually only used by Germany, and rarely if that. It opens up more options to players which is always good, and helps counter a well-used strategy but only on resource/city locations. Units not under the AA umbrella would still be subject to mass air strikes, but something like this is a good step in the right direction.

I just wish we had control over what research bonus's confer. Don't think there is a way to make AA research also raise air defense rating.

Yep, adding AA tech and air defense enhancements to ground units was discussed many times in the SC1 forums.

The perfect counter for that all powerful airforce of your opponent. Eventually at the level 5 tech area we could see the development of SAMs and extend SC mods into the contemporary era.

Another plane of the SC2 platform to explore.

[ July 05, 2006, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: SeaMonkey ]

Originally posted by vveedd:

And now AA suggestion:

AA should protect units in city against air fleets also. It is illogical that AA works only against strategic bombardments.

I've suggested this in the past and Blashy responded that this is being considered.

Just pump up AD by .5 with each tech improvement and make it applicable to units that are in cities.

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

Democracy works! Alright T-Blashy, can you get H-Blashy to implement?

I don't get Hubert to implement anything, he makes the final decision.

In the mean time, play my mod, you'll love it, guaranteed (no money back).

• 4 weeks later...

Essentially it is a balance issue... if AAR were included against AF then AF would need a counter balance tech otherwise AAR could make AF completely ineffective after a few applied levels.

As HvS pointed out it was also a way to differentiate between AF and Bombers and if AF could also upgrade their attacks on resources then there would really be no need to purchase Bombers.

Either way I'll think about it some more and perhaps down the road I'll come up with something.