Thinking of buying this for my father

My father, who is in his late 70's, and who enjoyed the Panzer General 2 PC game, is looking for a new war game similar to PG2, which will run on the Vista OS.

I have a few questions, which will decide if I purchase this game or not for him.

1. Will it run on the Vista OS?

2. Is this a game which will play similar to the Panzer General series, so my father will easily be able to pick up how to play? He isn't a hardcore war gamer by any means.

3. If not, could anyone offer up a suggestion for a Panzer General type of game? I have been having a very hard time finding something similar to his beloved PG2.

BTW: I have purchased all the Combat Mission games from CMBO to Afrika Corp and have enjoyed each and every one for years. Which is why I came to this forum for some ideas for a present for my father. He likes his PG2 game for its simplicity of play, and hasn't learned to love the CM series like myself. I am currently playing 2 CMBB & 3 CMAK PBEM games, but would like to find something I can play with him.

I really appreciate your help in this.

Thanks

If you really look for something as good as Panzer General 2 you should try to find SSIs People's General, which was an improved Panzer General 2.

SC2 would be a good choice as well, at least in the newest version with the WAW upgrade, even though it is different from Panzer General.

But with a creative power like our good old Hubert Cater, who knows, maybe we will get from him some kind of Panzer General Ultra in the near future.

The Game-Engine of SC2-WAW does remind here and there at Panzer General, so this is realy something i am praying for...

UglyElmo1,

SC2 Blitzkrieg and SC2 Weapons and Warfare are both Vista compatible. There are demos available and perhaps your father would like to try the games out before you make any purchases?

Weapons and Warfare Demo:

http://www.battlefront.com/products/sc2/sc2_wwe/demo.html

Blitzkrieg Demo

http://www.battlefront.com/products/sc2/demo.html

Yes the great thing about Battlefront, try before you buy. SC2 and WAW great games with almost endless replay.

Goto Panzerliga and you can upgrade PG2 to an almost totally different game with many new units and they have tons of different scenarios. I did this but kep playing my SC2, could not break the addiction..... :D

Elmo, I can attest to what Hubert says, SC will run on Vista.

Tell your Dad he needs a little more than PG to stay mentally sharp. SC is a small upgrade of PG. Actually try the original version first (SC1) available for a good discount at the Naval Warfare sight.

I believe the demo is still here at BF also, in no time he'll want to move up....say for his birthday.

If he's cool with the original, go for the WaW bundle....he's worth it.

Thanks guys. I appreciate your help in my decision. I will be purchasing the bundle as soon as I get off work today. I played the demo, and it looks to be similar in play style to PG2, but with a lot more depth. However, I enjoyed it, without being familiar with the minute details, which means my father can enjoy playing it. Who knows, he might enjoy it so much he decides to actually read the game manual! LOL Probably not.

PS: If he doesn't like it, it has the added benefit that I will have a new game to play. smile.gif I also use my kids as an excuse to buy all those nifty new toys out now. Yup, I'm a 45 year old kid and damned proud of it.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to give me your opinions.

Just an update:

I took you guys at your word and purchased the game bundle before I let my father play the demo. It appears my trust was well founded since my father played the demo last night, and enjoyed it so much, he asked me where he could buy it. I told him it was still in development and would be out after Christmas . . . because I know him: He would run out, buy it right away and ruin his Christmas surprise. hehe

Needless to say, this good ole Kentucky boy thanks you again.

***PASSES JUG O' SHINE AROUND FORUM***

Elmo

I am also from Louisville. I live near the PRP area off Dixie Highway. Nice to meet a fellow Louisvillian . . tonight is Brian Brohm's last home game for U of L. Unfortunately, I have to work and will miss the game.

I have to ask this: Are you a UL or UK fan, or both, like myself? smile.gif I get called a traitor by both groups. hehe