Strategic Command Developer Diary (Blog) Now Active!!!

Wow, artillery sounds pretty fun, and effective. Hopefully it won't bog things down too much when attacking though. While this isn't an RTS game by any means, I think this truth rings true though...balancing a game to favor attacking is the way to go. If playing defensive is typically the more effective route, you run into more boring/stalemate type games.

I'm sure that's all been accounted for though, and artillery will just be another cool unit and strategy to persue.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually guys, this what Hubert did with artillery is not new to old strategy game players. Remember Panzer General games? Artillery unit has had the same role and effect.

Still, would like to answer on my very important question, please - shall we have swap move?

In SC2 we need it. Now with new units on map we absolutely need it.

Originally posted by Retributar:

Im an Old-Panzer-General-Hand, this Artillery Enhancement is Deja-Vu' for us Relic's!. Im still glad to see it included in the Update for the Game!.

Absolutely.

Originally posted by n0kn0k:

What's swap move?

Swap move – in short: you have tile number 1 occupied with air unit and tile number 2 occupied with infantry unit. You want to put infantry unit in tile number 1 and air unit in tile number 2 in SAME TURN. So far, to done that player needed empty tile number 3 and two turns.

Originally posted by vveedd:

Still, would like to answer on my very important question, please - shall we have swap move?

In SC2 we need it. Now with new units on map we absolutely need it.

All I can say is at this time this feature is not in the game.

Don't listen to SeaMonkey, he's just trying to get WaW delayed because he's evil. ;)

Wow, love the new screesnhots and AAR. The additional units seem like fantastic additions and add more depth to an already deep strategy game. The overall map just looks more lively too, such as roads and the little palm trees in Africa.

Great news on the AI too, sounds like it'll give everyone a nice challenge. That'll win some points in the reviews as well. Not to mention the additional feedback there seems to be (When intel actually works, more unit stat info such as how much demoralization it causes, etc). I like how intel sounds now too, in that it gives chances of revealing enemy units.

I'll be there for pre-order, day one.

Yep, the I have lost 4 straight vs. the Allied AI at maximum settings trying 4 different strategies. I had never lost against it before.

I'm mulling my thoughts here as I can't believe I actually lost vs. the AI in SC2. I have to test with the Axis AI and now I'm not looking forward to it.

I just finished a game against the AI(allied) on the easiest level and the AI took me to the very end, May 1947. I got a minor victory and only France was knocked out. I went all out on the intel tech early in the game witch was fun but probably was one reason why I didn't have the strenght to go deep into Russia + that I took out Saudiarabia and since there is no railroad there it took ages for that battlegroup to get back to the frontlines.

A weakness with the AI is the way it deals with enemy fortifications. It loves to attack them rather then help out the ground froces atempts to kill off units. Sometimes it can be the right thing to do but more often not.

Overall the AI is very good and better then many new players will be at start.

I won a few games with AI experience +1 but +2 is something I havent dared to try yet.

Interesting on the Subs diving and disappearing. Have you considered adding a roll for having them pop back up in a random spot, say a couple of tiles away? I know it's wrong due to scale, but come on, they couldn't stay down forever.

Well, till they hit tech 5 anyway…

Lars, for clarification that is actually how the subs dive right now, i.e. they do pop back up in a random spot but since the engine tries to have them pop back up away from enemy ships (if it can) it may have appeared to Dan that they are gone for the entire turn.

Idea is generally that it may escape enemy ships but if there is air spotting in the area it may resurface only to be spotted by friendly air so you can continue the attack on the sub. So sometimes it can get away but not necessarily completely every time.

Sweet.

It's great seeing not only the diversity of units, but just MORE of them on each side. I keep thinking of all the additional choices and decisions we're going to have to make, in regards to what we produce and research.

[ July 26, 2007, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Timskorn ]

Hmmmsome strange stuff here tho....5 points for eth Siwa Oasis seems prety weird.....and Artillery (or AT? in the UK0 taking up a whole hex isn't something that strikes me as useful.

Lots of it looks good, but some of it is beginning to resemble PG a bit much IMO