@Hubert --- So what's next?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed the American Civil War would be a great followup.

Imagine,

HQ commanders with initiative checks based on their historical proclivity to move their men forward or not.

A war without air units to spot the massing of enemy forces.

A war with limited advances in technology.

A war where the battlefield reaches from Virginia to Texas.

It would be most interesting.

@Eddie --- You are a gamer! The best part about that US Civil War game was the initiative checks as the enemy approached! Modifiers for calvary! Modified for each leader. Lee, Jackson, Johnston, Longstreet, Forrest, Stuart, Grant, Sherman, Lyon, Farragut, Sheridan, etc.

Playing with FOW would make that game VERY interesting.

I wonder if it's worth it to let Hubert Cater make time to make two mods for SCII himself : a great Waterloo scenario (perhaps working together with the one that was posted last week here) and a great US Civil War scenario.

Perhaps that would give the game publicity and extra sales, no ?

That plus a few extras (swapping sides with AI, units swapping places, putting units "asleep", better D-Day AI) would make it even better !

Not a scenario, rather a new game. US Civil War mechanics are alot different than SC2 system. US Civil War would be a great game to play. Three fronts: East, West, Far West. Leaders, Calvary, Armies, Ships, Railroads, etc.

If you're going to make a scenario, forget WaterPoo, no Americans. How about Korean War?

Rambo, I agree, a Civil War Game would be totally different.

And as I recall, the game you featured you drew chits from a cup to see how many HQs you could activate and then rolled a die for the other units.

What made it great, was that you could never move all of your units, and in many cases units you wish you could move couldn't, because they failed there initaitive check.

It made for a most interesting game of strategy and calculated risks.

@Edddie --- Ah Yes! You have played the game. The length of a turn was variable smile.gif With so many action points, then a dice roll each pulse. Great game indeed!

I'd also settle for a fun multiplayer game! I enjoy the simplicity & ease of strategy games, don't need anything fancy, just playability.

God bless,

-Legend

Originally posted by arado234:

Seeing how well sc2 turned out,it would be great if you could get ahold to the rights of THIRD REICH and fix it so its as good as sc2.I for one would for surely buy it.GO HABS GO.

If you are mean to fix bugs, adjustment for PBEM and (maybe) improved interface I absolutely agree. Rest is no need to fix because 3R is a perfect game. Better game is only Advanced Third Reich. ;)

Originally posted by Exel:

How are the SC2 markets balanced US vs. Rest of the World? Cause I imagine that a US Civil War game doesn't attract much customers outside the country.

I agree. I haven’t slightest interest for American Civil war. It will be much better if next game is from Napoleon time period.

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

US Civil War was a good war far as those things go. 4-Years long, railroads, naval, leaders, etc.

Undoubtedly, but that doesn't make it interesting in the eyes of most non-US players.

Far as Napoleon, I could give a rat's ass.
Funnily enough most Europeans would say the exact same about ACW. Of course if the SC2 core customer base is already in the States that may not be a big deal, but somehow I doubt that.

Better game is only Advanced Third Reich.
FYI, I have an A3R mod almost ready for beta release, which I had hoped to do last weekend. I need to make a few more minor AI script tweaks and verify things work OK. It's close, with both the 1939 and 1941 scenarios. :cool:

And I know Hubert's been busy with his own project on the back burner. Stay tuned. ;)

Originally posted by pzgndr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Better game is only Advanced Third Reich.

FYI, I have an A3R mod almost ready for beta release, which I had hoped to do last weekend. I need to make a few more minor AI script tweaks and verify things work OK. It's close, with both the 1939 and 1941 scenarios. :cool:

And I know Hubert's been busy with his own project on the back burner. Stay tuned. ;) </font>

Great news! I would like to hear more about this mod. To my opinion, one of crucial things for simulate A3R are supply rule and turn duration. Did you manage to adjust this?
I pretty much built A3R from scratch over the past 6 months and it's different from the default SC2 campaigns. Turns are 4-week simultaneous, so each player gets about 13 turns per year. Supply is the same, but with USSR resources spread out the Germans face a tougher challenge as they penetrate deeper into Russia while the Soviets fall back on btter supply.

I've added more countries per A3R. For instance, Netherlands-Belgium-Luxembourg are all represented separately, which has been a challenge to get the Axis AI to coordinate itself. When France surrenders, Vichy Algeria, Morocco, Syria and Tunisia are created and variant events may result in pro-Allied coups. USSR may or may not annex Bessarabia, which affects how Barbarossa is triggered. It's pretty complex, but things are working more or less OK now.

SeaMonkey has playtested and provided some valuable feedback. I'll let him and others offer some insights to whet yer appetite a little more. When I do post this thing, it will have some documentation regarding design notes, force pools and CTVs.

Hubert's been aware of this project and is also looking forward to seeing it released. It's intended to compliment SC2 rather than compete. Really, it will show the power of the Editor and the scripting tools available so regular non-programming guys like me can take a classic like A3R and make it happen with SC2. :cool:

Wow, that's certainly an ambitious project Bill. I can't wait to see what you did with A3R (still have the original box version myself). Of course you're limited within the game engine, so some of the main features of A3R will be difficult to represent (stacking, hex map, beach head invasion hexes). I wish there was a way to also tackle the Attrition combat and brutal effects of having units cut off/surrounded! Can't wait to see and play it!

Some of the modders have shown a real ability to work with the Editor (I haven't been so lucky). I think if there was a group effort, the American Civil War would be a real possibility. But, there would have to be enough of a community interest - all too often an ambitious mod is abandoned because of a perceived lack of interest.

As for HC's personal project -- I can only hope it's a Pacific Theatre!!!! Whatever it is, we all know it will be great.

Let me say that I didn't really get into Bill's ATR mod at first, but as I continued to play and he continued to improve, I found myself deeply immersed. That is saying a lot with my limited game playing time.

Also, I never play the AI anymore, but from the Axis side Bill's scenario really got to be challenging, especially with a little bump to the Allies exp. level.

As I've never played TR or ATR I didn't really know what to expect, like lots of unit density and a really different battle for France. No longer is it a walkover for the Germans. I can only imagine how this will be very difficult for an H to H competition. You may want to entertain thoughts of deviating from the normal pattern of conquest as the Germans don't have to start with Poland, ie. it requires a DoW.

Looking forward to the 1.06 adaptation.

Send it when your ready Bill.

Originally posted by Blashy:

The Great War.

I find the Great War could have gone either way, this is why I find it fascinating.

Amen, Brother.

Maybe our good Hubert could contact Ted Raicer so they could together create a computer-version of "The Great War in Europe" (with included expansion "The Great War in the Near East" ).

A crusade game would be fun as well.

Something simple like "Crusader Rex" would be wonderful.

[ February 27, 2007, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: xwormwood ]

If it isn't going to be the ACW then make it WWI.

The Civil War had better tactics IMO then Napoleonic Wars as well as more wide-spread simultanious fighting. Whereever Napoleon was not, there was no fighting. So that would be very boring IMO. In the Civil War, even without the great battles in the East with Lee and Jackson, there was still large engagements in the West and South, as well as some limited naval actions.

However we are in pretty bad need of a properaly done WWI game, we have a lot of civil war games, even The Blue and the Gray was decent.