If its a movie, where are the subtitles?

I think that a major improvement to the CMBB movie playback would be to provide English Language subtitles to the Russian and German dialog on an optional basis.

There are reletively few persons in the world who speak both languages, more who speak one or the other, and a great many who speak neither. Consequently, It would add a powerful dimension to the movie playback if we could understand what our pixel proxies were actually saying. I do not think that this would be technically difficult to do.

English should be the initial language as it is the most spoken in the world, but other language mods would quickly follow.

Originally posted by DevilDog:

I do my own voiceovers.

"yeah baby, come to papa. OH YEAH, who's your daddy? WHO'S YOUR DADDY? Yeah, you like it, yeah."

That sort of thing?

*shudder* I think I'll stick with popcorn and cheese.

It's also a great idea for the opening music. Sing-a-long subtitles choreographed with a bouncing doodad. Ah hem, aaahhhhh You mein frund, und you mein frund, und all of us togeeeether...

{Curtains then open for the lead in screen shot on MadMatt, explaining the P value of chi squared and how neither he nor the AI cheats, followed then by Steve telling everyone that he is recognized everywhere he goes as the Wargame Teacher, and how they get happy letters ever day...}

[ November 05, 2002, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

prolly need a karaoke machine somewhere, sing-along to the soviet anthem, complete with subtitles:

Unbreakable Union of freeborn Republics,

Great Russia has welded forever to stand.

Created in struggle by will of the people,

United and mighty, our Soviet land!

Sing to the Motherland, home of the free,

Bulwark of peoples in brotherhood strong.

O Party of Lenin, the strength of the people,

To Communism's triumph lead us on!

Through tempests the sunrays of freedom have cheered us,

Along the new path where great Lenin did lead.

To a righteous cause he raised up the peoples,

Inspired them to labor and valorous deed.

[Or, the old way:

Be true to the people, thus Stalin has reared us,

Inspire us to labor and valorous deed!]

Sing to the Motherland, home of the free,

Bulwark of peoples in brotherhood strong.

O Party of Lenin, the strength of the people,

To Communism's triumph lead us on!

In the vict'ry of Communism's deathless ideal,

We see the future of our dear land.

And to her fluttering scarlet banner,

Selflessly true we always shall stand!

Something like this, perhaps?

laurieslips.jpg

(In case you're wondering this is an early beta, and she's trying to wrap her lips around one of those tricky German technical words, like aüfhampstergeflickenflügen)

[ November 06, 2002, 05:13 AM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Originally posted by JimF:

English should be the initial language as it is the most spoken in the world, but other language mods would quickly follow.

Actually, if going by the "most spoken in the world" rule all of the texts and voices should be in Chinese. smile.gif

[ November 06, 2002, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: tero ]

Originally posted by EightInchArty:

Hmm. I can see it now; Give oders turn and watch CNN report from Pentagon as General this or that gives briefing how operation is going and what goals are achived.

That'd be a **** game. All you'd see of the action is a few grainy bits of footage of something getting blown up and a vague but very professional sounding general at a press conference. If things aren't going your way, you wouldn't be told so, you just wouldn't be told anything at all (you might get to see that grainy footage of something blowing up from a few turns ago a few times though) until your troops meet with their next success, whereupon you'd be regaled in gushing terms about how tough-but-caring your guys are and the grainy footage would be replaced by a new piece of grainy footage, possibly in green and possibly of some blobs moving around near some other blobs which might be mountains or possibly camels.

This would require a new Fog of War setting. I would suggest calling it Pentagon Media Blanket.

Originally posted by JimF:

I think that a major improvement to the CMBB movie playback would be to provide English Language subtitles to the Russian and German dialog on an optional basis.

There are reletively few persons in the world who speak both languages, more who speak one or the other, and a great many who speak neither. Consequently, It would add a powerful dimension to the movie playback if we could understand what our pixel proxies were actually saying. I do not think that this would be technically difficult to do.

You can dub all those sounds for yourself.

I doubt that.