Questions

The way the telephone lines are around here it would take me about three days to download the demo, so I'll have to await the CD.

Some questions though:

1. Is it still 2 or 3 man squads? Is there an option for those with powerful machines and graphics cards to be able to have each individual soldier represented on screen? (It says they keep track of each grenade!)

2. What is the smallest unit? Is it possible to build squads up from individuals with their individual equipment, even though this might mean delving (slightly) into the ahistorical?

1. I'm not sure about this one.

2. The smallest basic unit is still a squad that can be split into half squads. There are some smaller units out there (Tank Hunter Teams, various crews) but nothing like you are asking about.

I suppose you might be able to set the weapon loadout of squads in the editor when you make a battle. I've never much messed with it. I know you can modify the ammo load out. Anyone?

rv

There is no need to have all 12 men represented on screen. Think how cluttered things would get. Because CM uses abstractions it would be a needless thing, wouldn't it? These 9 men, these 10 men, these 11 men all get the same orders and move and fight as a squad..... I think showing all 12 men is only necessary when you have a game that allows you to micromange on a level to which CM does not allow. ie. sending one guy (out of a full squad) up a staircase to investigate the second floor of a building....

Just my thoughts.

Jeremy

Originally posted by CSO_Talorgan:

1. Is it still 2 or 3 man squads? Is there an option for those with powerful machines and graphics cards to be able to have each individual soldier represented on screen? (It says they keep track of each grenade!)

2. What is the smallest unit? Is it possible to build squads up from individuals with their individual equipment, even though this might mean delving (slightly) into the ahistorical?

No and no

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

yes to the graphics card question. everything is high res now, so I would recommned atleast a 32mb card if you want things to run smoothly at a good resolution.

So far the CMBB demo is smooth and smokin' on my 12MB card, but I've only played the Tutorial.

The Battlefront.com main site says minimum requirement are a 16mb graphics card though I've heard of it running smoothly on a 8mb card in an imac. Instead of crashing your machine the game automatically down-rez's the graphics to fit you system (clever boys). CMBB downrez'd looked something like CMBO without the mods.

I do admit, when I snuck the demo onto my G4 mac at work with its 32meg card it looked REALLY pretty! Got me contemplating an upgrade for my home mac. :D

Originally posted by CSO_Talorgan:

I don't get this. Everyone else is singing the virtues of 32 Mb cards, including my next door neighbour; yet the picture I get is bad enough to put me off playing (other than next door). I guess there are 32 Mb cards and 32 Mb cards?

Perhaps it would be helpful if you posted your technical specs.

About the 3 man squad question- Yes, they're just like CMBO EXCEPT in CMBB they're animated much better, with much MUCH better uniforms and faces (no more 'mr potato head'). What you may lack in added quantity you more than make up for in added quality.

Squads are splitable just like CMBO BUT it's more sophisticated now. You can keep track of which team gets which weapon (who's got the LMG), which is a big help. I've noticed there's only so far a squad will split though. If you play with predetermined casualties in a squad (starting the game with 6 wounded, 2 standing) you cannot split it into two one-man teams.

[ September 09, 2002, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

The TNT2's should work OK with CMBB. There are various manufacturers making the cards, but they generally perform the same and most likely look the same in analog output quality. You could run a faster video card with your PIII 650.

What is your exact graphical complaint with CMBB, is it too slow, not sharp enough (especially compared to some screenshots), what ? What resolution are you running at ? A higher resolution, while it lowers performance, may improve your preception of video quality. Your video card also doesn't perform FSAA and it has limited texture filtering capabilities. If you're comparing it to screenshots you've seen this may be part of the difference.

If you're expecting visuals on the level of a FPS game like Serious Sam, Deus Ex, Alice, etc. then you are expecting too much from CMBB.

Originally posted by Bastables:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeyD:

Squads are splitable just like CMBO BUT it's more sophisticated now. You can keep track of which team gets which weapon (who's got the LMG),

Eh? That information was avalible in CMBO in the beta demo.</font>

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

What is your exact graphical complaint with CMBO, is it too slow, not sharp enough (especially compared to some screenshots), what ?

Not nearly sharp enough. Blocky in fact.

What resolution are you running at ?

800 x 600. Didn't realise the increase in resolution might produce dividends!

Your video card also doesn't perform FSAA and it has limited texture filtering capabilities.

This has been made known to me.

If you're comparing it to screenshots you've seen

Nope! Just the guy next door's machine.

If you're expecting visuals on the level of a FPS game like Serious Sam, Deus Ex, Alice, etc. then you are expecting too much from CMBB.

I wasn't

Thanks for the advice. In summary, I'm probably going to have to stop whining and buy that card, but I'll give these ideas a whirl, especially since life's circumstances make hardware aquisition a tad difficult right now.

Cheers!