MG Jeeps. Is there best way to use them?

I'd say leave the MG jeeps to police the rear echelon. IMHO, take the M3A1 scout car or M20 armored utility car. They both have good speed, light armor, and have some capacity to carry passengers. They are about less than twice the cost of the MG jeep but more than twice the value. The MG jeep is a soft skinned vehicle that can be taken out with a sharp stare. I've used the M3A1 to tow small guns and teams into battle then scout and harass to pinpoint hidden enemy positions.

Those loveable Jeep MG's, more often than not they do get taken out by the smallest amount of enemy fire but on occasion ive seen them perform some amazing feats.

the most memorable is when i kept one hidden on the low slope of a ridge were i suspected his light armor would advance. I didn't expect much more than to draw fire and allow my zooks to get off a few extra shots. My opponent moved a PSW 234/2 Puma and an Sd Kfz 7/2 flak Vehicle to the top of the ridge and then turned 90 degrees to face my infantry exposeing their flanks to my as yet unseen Jeep MG. Taking full advantage of the speed of the Jeep I maneuverd up the hill and targetted the softer rear armor of the Puma.

I watched the ensueing movie with intense scrutiny and i was overjoyed when my courageous little jeep took out the Puma. i was extatic when the same jeep also took out the flakwagon in the same 1 minute turn.

needless to say this totally turned the tide of the battle and resulted in a total victory.

unfortuneatly this type of performance is the exception rather than the rule but since that time i almost never go into action without one of those loveable little Jeep MG's.

I like to use the MG Jeeps as towed gun killers. I have had success using the jeep to scoot around to the flank of the gun and knock it out. The guns have a hard time turning and tracking the jeep and I have had some success with this (not enough that i would buy the MG jeep on purpose, but if I was stuck with one in a scenario?).

I use them like I use my hellcats,scoot to the enemy's rear, shoot, and keep them well away from infantry.Got me a lot of field guns that way.Plus a couple of half-tracks, armoured cars and a PzIIL Luchs, although I dont know if it was the jeep or an engineer squad that took it out. :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jwxspoon:

I like to use the MG Jeeps as towed gun killers. I have had success using the jeep to scoot around to the flank of the gun and knock it out. The guns have a hard time turning and tracking the jeep and I have had some success with this (not enough that i would buy the MG jeep on purpose, but if I was stuck with one in a scenario?).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr. Wxspoon's fine tactical use of the MG jeep points out why it's usually a good idea to keep an HMG or supporting infantry with the towed gun. Granted, that's not always possible, but as a rule of thumb ...

oh yeah, use the as reserves, just use em when you have a good idea of how the opponent plans to fight.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Mr. Wxspoon's fine tactical use of the MG jeep points out why it's usually a good idea to keep an HMG or supporting infantry with the towed gun. Granted, that's not always possible, but as a rule of thumb ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats not a good idea, MG's and field guns atrract a rainstorm of shells(and bullets),and it would make youre opponent's life easier if he could hit two birds with on stone.supprt the guns/MG's from some distance,just make sure the appraoches to the gun are still covered.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jwxspoon:

I like to use the MG Jeeps as towed gun killers. I have had success using the jeep to scoot around to the flank of the gun and knock it out. The guns have a hard time turning and tracking the jeep and I have had some success with this (not enough that i would buy the MG jeep on purpose, but if I was stuck with one in a scenario?).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This works mostly because of the game bug in not being able to kill unarmoured vehicles from HE shots - no direct hit modeled, hence only shots to ground besides target; and speed of target not taken into account when shooting (only done for armoured targets).

This tactic is exploiting a bug in the game.

Having said that, if you want to do so, use the .50cal Jeeps as halftrack killers, also good against 234/x or even Hummels :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by l3w53r:

thats not a good idea, MG's and field guns atrract a rainstorm of shells(and bullets),and it would make youre opponent's life easier if he could hit two birds with on stone.supprt the guns/MG's from some distance,just make sure the appraoches to the gun are still covered.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never said the HMG had to be close.

just like any other .50cal weilding vehicle, they are great light german vehicles KOers. i know this from having it used on me and using it on others.

dont underestimate the power of the .50cal! more than once i have taken out a vehicle with the .50cal before the tanks gun could even swing into a firing position!

I played QB vs AI, 500pts, computer picks last night, and was handed a pair of MG jeeps as my only non-infantry units. The AI as Axis had 3 HT's, one with a 75mm. I found them invaluable for speedy flanking of enemy vehicles, and for no loss I was able to knock out those HT's, even though it was p***ing down with rain. Don't keep them still, keep them running round in circles, use them to target light armour, not infantry, and you'll have as much fun as I did.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richard Cuccia, the PiggDogg:

It is really cool when a jeep is moving fast and gets knocked out. It continues to travel quite a ways.

Thus, a use for jeeps - amuesment of the players! :eek:

No cheers yet, Richard<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen the same effect on one of my Sherman 105's....it a was roaring down a hill at full speed, right after i had KO'd a 75mm AT pillbox...I thought I had my break-through, but the Sherm105 ran over an unsuspected AT mine...kept going for about 100 meters...and nicely rolled towards enemy position and continued to MG/HE them. Neat.

Funny to see a tank get instantly "immobilized" at full speed!