Tab+1 View Changed

I'm with Abbott on the smoke that's being discharged from a barrel shot. I like it. Would have been nice to add the shockwave too as per CMBO.

However, a good point is raised on the angle of the camera in the TAB+1 view. CMBO's tilt is that few degree's better to judge the immediate surrounds IMHO.

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

I was also wondering, why fix somefink which was working. Playing BB demo i constantly find my left hand fingers pressing Shift key, when i want to strafe sideways, it's almost like second nature to me. Also, i miss the ability to place cursor in the bottom corners and rotate and move backwards simultaniosly.

And the good ol' Tab/1 is also made worse IMO, i mean, i like backsides (of tanks in this case ;) ), but not when given rear obscures the view of battlefield.

Dear Abbott and Winecape,

I don't understand your thinking about the gun barrel smoke. You like it because.....

Yes it might add some reality but to what purpose?

Allowing infantry to have smoke grenades is just as realistic but not included.

I wish this was an on/off option. I fully endorse smoke shells, but for me a great amount of fun in this game is visually tracking the shot.

Smokeless Toad

>>>p.s. Jesus Odd, I registered here before >>>you????

I had to make a new account at one point, so if I've got a "stinky" number, therein lies the reason.

This new Tab/1 view is so lousy I'm not even playin' the damn thing at this point. ISYN, it's taken away a HUGE part of the fun and immersion.

As was stated previously by one fellow:

"They fixed it and fixed it, until it was broke."

What really irks me is that I've yet to see a single post from any of the BTS reps in here regarding this change. I'd certainly like to know, if given the fact that the majority or respondents to the initial post concur with my assessment that the new Tab/1 view is porked if they intend to make a very minor tweak and revert it to what it was in "CM1".

In the interim, I'm hereby admitting to "yawning" everytime I think I might want to fire it up. Thankfully, I've got Aces High to keep me occupied until I know one way or another whether or not this is gonna be tinkered with by BTS. If not, I think I'm gonna just let it collect cobwebs and spend my time with "CM1".

Regards,

Oddball

[ September 27, 2002, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: oddball ]

Oddball,

I feel the same way. However I might try the game with Franko's Rules. The Tab 1 view might not make that much of a difference then. Have you ever tried using them? I play that way once in awhile.

I too thought we might hear from BFC in this thread.

At this moment glad I did not spend more money to upgrade my computer.

Thinking even more about Franko's True Combat.... Toad

Well, I have to say I definitely prefer the smoke over the shockwave thing, which I always thought looked plain goofy. To tell the truth I probably have a slight preference for the new Tab+1 view as well, although I can't say as I feel very strongly one way or the other.

That said, I think some toggles and options for "old school" players would be nice, just wouldn't want to see the new be *replaced* by the old.

- Old Dog

Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

I don't understand your thinking about the gun barrel smoke. You like it because...

Smokeless Toad

The new smoke effect from main gun firing adds to the immersion of the game for me. It was one of the first improvements I noticed over CMBO.

I like the new smoke firing thing. It was particularly cool in Citadel, when I hid my AT guns and then opened up with 10 at once. It's also very realistic; commanders sometimes had difficulty tracking shots as well.

I like the new explosions; I was never a shockwave fan.

I liked the old Tab 1 view better, though.

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

I like the new smoke firing thing. It was particularly cool in Citadel, when I hid my AT guns and then opened up with 10 at once. It's also very realistic; commanders sometimes had difficulty tracking shots as well.

I liked the old Tab 1 view better, though.

I agree smile.gif

-tom w

So its a matter of taste really. As I said, I often like to follow the fly and fall of shot. Especially when I make a catastrophic kill.

On my machine I have noticed all "small smoke" from HE shells, even handgrenades and the aformentioned gun barrel smoke is blocky and polygonical. Large smoke, from burning buildings is puffy as it should be. Is this the same for everyone or is it my machine?

I still can't see enough of the map in level 1 or 2 to make informed decisions and then in level 3 where I can see enough of the map, I can't see enough detail of my units to distinguish between various infantry units or destinguish between tanks and halftracks to make the proper moves. So I have to keep switching back and forth.

There must be some optimal setting.

Frustrated..... Toad

I am running a P4 2.26 with a Gforce Ti 4200 (64) megs of video ram. No graphics, install or slow turn loading issues at all.

I have noticed the view change, it is not as handy as the view in CMBO but I have no issues with it, as I am enjoying the improved game play so much.

[ September 28, 2002, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: Abbott ]

Just to throw in my two cents worth, I prefer the new muzzle blast over the old and Tab+1 doesn't bother me although I can't say I am particularly thrilled by it. Views 3 and 4 are angled down too much, especially if you are wanting to look more than 1,000, which I expect is going to be often.

Michael

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

The explosions are exactly the same as before, but with the visual aid of the shockwave taken away. Combine that with CMBBs New Improved camera views and we arrive at the game as it is now...

The smoke discharge is well over the top IMHO. In real life, the discharge would be more subtle, it is there in the air and then it dissipates. With CMBB it's like an effect from a pop concert. Is CMBB supposed to be fun to play, or just a "grind" to discover what the hell is going on.

Originally posted by Abbott:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

I don't understand your thinking about the gun barrel smoke. You like it because...

Smokeless Toad

The new smoke effect from main gun firing adds to the immersion of the game for me. It was one of the first improvements I noticed over CMBO.</font>

>>Tab+1 doesn't bother me although I can't say I >>am particularly thrilled by it.

Michael,

That's supposed to be the whole point to the

Tab/1 view. It's basically just (or was...sigh) eye candy in which one could excitedly watch the situation from the "foxhole" or "tank commander's"

perspective.

BTS's tinkering with it serves no purpose whatsoever and the result is simply a lousy view which is not adjustable to an acceptable level using the camera angle adjustments.

>> Views 3 and 4 are angled down too much

This is a direct result of the above. However, as you seem not to care about the Tab/1 angling/positioning and can "live with it", I suppose you'll have manage to "live" with the

"3" and "4" views as well.

Me, I've decided to let it collect dust for awhile until the issue is either addressed or fixed by BTS.

Regards,

Oddball

There is less of the horizon showing, the barrel of the gun is no longer visible and the

result is a degradation of the player's ability to view the terrain as well as he was in "CM1" and a less than impressive viewpoint as far as watching the main gun fire off towards the enemy.

I agree Oddball. I am constantly switching from view 3 to 4 trying to see the battle field (terrain)and the enemy units.

What I have noticed also; and I think it relates to the "less of a horizon" mentioned by Oddball, is that in CMBO I could use level one, and then use the zoom/magnification to look at terrain or targets in front of me. If I try to do this with CMBB, the zoom is cut off by the top of the screen, almost makes the zoom function unusable for me. Especially the higher levels of zoom/magnification.

Perhaps I am overlooking something in the control or use of the zoom?

I agree with Oddball as well. I still struggle with the views. I can never get comfortable behind an AFV and zoom in and watch a shoot-out. When you zoom out you run into the ground. I never seem to get close enough in battles either.

Also, not many people have mentioned it, but unit bases are CRAZY. MAybe it's my machine but all i see are squares with feet hanging off them, it looks horrible. BO never did that to me, ever. Also the 3 man sq icon is useless to me so far cause the 3 men are packed so close together I can't tell anyway how many there are.

Sorry to rant, but I am not overwheled by the new look at all of the new game. Units in trees disappear, but the base problem is killer for me. From top down all ya see are squares, even when really close zoomed in.

Is it just me or everyone? When a unit is down in the dirt crawling/sneaking whatever, it turns in to it's colored square, ICK.

sb

>>>If it's not I agree that the view should be >>>nearer the target/focus, as it was in CMBO.

No, it's the viewpoint alright. It's probably somewhere around a 5-10 degree change in depression, but man it's really fouling up the view. What I don't understand at all is why when BTS originally changed this angle in the first iteration of the game, and when it was brought to their attention it was "fixed". Now, for some reason, the porked view has been reimplemented,

detracting from both the enjoyment and the usefulness of the original.

Regards, Oddball

I am going to comment again here.

In order to enjoy the game ala CMBO, in CMBB I have to do a lot of shifting camera angles, zooming around the battlefield from side to side to see what is going on, magnifying my view or making my units C + 2 or 3 which gets to look ridiculous compared to map scale.

I am usually not this critical by any means. But I just don't enjoy CMBB as much as CMBO because of all the extra gyrations you have to go through just to effectively play a turn.

I really want this game to work for me. All the improvements should make it so much more interesting and enjoyable. BUT the camera angle/scale has thrown up a roadblock to all of that. If the camera angle and scale could be adjusted this would solve a lot of the problems.

Sorry hardworking Battlefront folks. I do appreciate the great job you have done everywhere else in this game. So please take this as it is meant. Constructive criticisim.

Wanting to stay positive.... Toad