LOS directly through smoke in CMBB

Of course with a thread title like that it would be NICE to see a screen grab.

Picture%20136.jpg

Well I have a few and will post them here when I get a chance.

See all the screen grabs here:

http://142.55.231.199/aka_tom/LOSthruSmoke/FrameSet.htm

Just click an image on the left frame to get started.

http://142.55.231.199/aka_tom/LOSthruSmoke/pages/Picture%20127.htm

In CMBO we were told a smokeing AFV would block LOS but the AFV its self and the smoke would not block LOF.

OK

I assumed in CMBB a smoking AFV would block LOS, it is my opinion and experience that Smoke from a burning Sherm (they still BURN good BTW) does not block LOS even when the targeting line is traced DIRECTLY through the smoke.

Maybe they know this already :confused:

I will post a few screen shots later when I get a chance.

I have a save game file if anyone is interested in seeing it in the game (CMBB)

Picture%20132.jpg

another one.

-tom w

[ November 04, 2002, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

What's really puzzling is why tanks have LOS through other tanks. I guess that's something that can only be fixed with the rewrite.

I think why you're getting LOS in the obove pics is that the target lines aren't going through the actual smock, but rather the disabled tank. The smock graphic starts somewhere in the turret I think, and the target line is below it.

I don't think a burning vehicle counts in the same way as "real" smoke-screen. You have to the remember that the actual size of the vehicle and smoke is really tiny in relation to the true ranges involved. Try putting you unit sizes on the "realistic" setting to see what I mean. This is also the reason that units don't block LOS.

The lack of smoke in CMBB was the biggest tactical hurdle for me to get over in CMBB, compared to CMBO. You didn't realise how much you relied on it til it was gone! And to make matters worse what little smoke there is no longer guarantees that you'll be obscured.

No, this isn't gripe. I list this along with deathclock as cool (exasperating) stuff that makes CMBB such a nail-biter to play, compared to CMBO.

[ November 04, 2002, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

OK

BUT in CMBO a dead and burning AFV would block LOS, but it was the smoke that blocked the LOS as there was ALWAYS LOF through any vehicle or AFV (non-burning).

What I am wondering is if the smoke from burning AFV's still blocks LOS the way it used to in CMBO?. It would seem that smoke from burning AFV's does not block LOS the way it used to.

I am wondering if Steve or Matt can confirm this??

:confused:

-tom w

CMBB manual pg 66:

Small smoke shells or small burning vehicles (e.g. Kubelwagon) degrade, but do not always block, LOS through them.

The only oddity I see is that a Sherman would not be considered a "small" vehicle, I would think. Does wind have any effect on this or do burning vehicles never block LOS anymore?

Tom- I was surprised by this behavoir too - well actually my KS-2 was quite surprised about it...OOPS!!

It definitely isnt like it was in CMBO, I havent noticed even a 'degredation' of LOS, especially in open terrain - enemy units can see right through burning vehicles now.

Originally posted by futureman:

Tom- I was surprised by this behavoir too - well actually my KS-2 was quite surprised about it...OOPS!!

It definitely isnt like it was in CMBO, I havent noticed even a 'degredation' of LOS, especially in open terrain - enemy units can see right through burning vehicles now.

Thanks for the reply futureman, I wondered if I was the ONLY one that noticed this???

Am surprised other folks have not mentioned this or been "put off" by this new behaviour.

:confused:

It was a Surprise for me :eek:

In CMBO I could count on the smoke from a burning AFV to block LOS so I could "hide" behind it with another AFV. It would seem that the burning AFV's in CMBB do not block LOS anymore.

Shooting directly through live and dead vehicles has been explained a technical game engine/computer hardware limitation. OK

But in the first version of the game engine in CMBO Smoke from burning AFV's did block LOS, and so I am wondering if the same behaviour holds true in CMBB. It is my experience this has now changed for the worse in CMBB?

Any further comments on this one?

-tom w

[ November 05, 2002, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

The screenshots are enough for me. I'll not be counting on burning vehicles to block LOS. Thanks for the tip, Tom.

Treeburst155 out.

MadMatt says Charles will look into this:

"* Smoke from burning vehicles blocks LOS a bit more."

Thanks!

-tom w

[ November 10, 2002, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]