CMBB Alpha Battle

Bog

I think this would be the ultimate bone. Imagine how many people eagerly watched the CMBO Alpha Battle. This will be even more closely watched, because of more people in the CM group.

Now, if the playtesters are too busy as it is, I can understand, but it would be nice to have something like an Alpha Battle for CMBB.

Yes I agree, a CM:BB alpha battle would be ill, and almost perversely tempting.

I found out about CM:BO in Feb 2001, so I didn't see its Alpha Battle as it was played. I was, however, fascinated by it; it got my salivary glands going while I was waiting for my copy of the new 1.12 CD to be delivered. Esp. Fionn's smoke-assisted 'Faust-charge against Moon's Sherman.

[ February 09, 2002, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]

It was back in the Alpha stages of CMBO. Fionn and Moon played a battle which was updated regularly. The AAR should be still available in the Archives section of CMHQ.

I think the scenario is downloadable. Search for it on the Scenario Archive.

Originally posted by Lord General MB:

Soldiers,

Bog- A most tempting concept indead! But who would be the players? ;)

Well, Fionn is a well known character. His AAR's are always well done and it would be perfect for him to lead the way of introducing us to CMBB like he did with the Alpha battle of CMBO.

His opponent? Well, if no beta tester steps up to the plate I will be obliged to take up this heavy burden upon myself - all for the good of the CM community! ;):D

Lord General,

I guess Fionn won't mind too much, eh? Speak up if you do mind, Fionn? What? Silence? Oh well! ;)

BTW, what ever happent to our game MB? I may have spooked you off with eery silence, but that's because I was quite busy with boring real life stuff for a couple of weeks. Right now Im awful bored and with too much time on my hands. If you still have our unfinished PBEM file, send it round my neighborhood again.

Well, so far I've been happy enough to hear Madmatt torture us all w/ talk of (IIRC) 'woe are Matt's Panzer IIIJ's vs. Kwazydog's T-34/76's.

...can't wait to explore all those Soviet light tanks...the BT-class, and the T-26, T-50 etc. Also, my beloved Lynx/Pz II platoon's will be far less gamey from a historical viewpoint. Hmmmm, what will it be like to have a juicy SU-85 in my Nashorn's sights at 1500+ meters...mua-ha-ha-ha!

I'd love to see this too. But not if it would delay the release of the game by even a day. If the human resources are there to pull this off without compromising the release, then by all means it would serve as a terrific preview.

Guys, I hate to burst some bubbles but AAR's like these require are a MASSIVE allotment of time and that is simply something we do not have. If something like this is to be done, and we DO want that to happen, it won't be until sometime in the future though.

An Alpha, or Beta if you will, AAR is at its very foundation a tool to help promote the game, attract new attention to it and show off its features.

The problem with doing it now, other than the time investment like I mentioned above, is that in order for it to have the greatest impact on NEW (and some old) customers the game will need to be in a pretty much feature complete as well as presentation (i.e. graphics and sound) complete state. To do so before that time is not a wise allocation of our limited resources. Currently the first issue is pretty much well in hand (features) but there is still a great deal of work to be done on both graphics, sounds, and overall presentation of the product.

This isn't like before with CMBO, when we could post pictures of an unfinished product and just says its "alpha" code as NO ONE really knew what to expect then. The expectations for CMBB are MUCH higher (and they will be exceeded we have seen to that) but the marketing of this game must be handled a little differently. For you guys on the inside it's going to take a little extra patience, but we will continue to try and throw some bones your way when we are able. When the time is right we DO plan on presenting a full featured AAR based on a version of the product that will be as close to finished code as we can. It just aint gonna be as soon as you would want. But then good things never are... ;)

Thanks!

Madmatt

[ February 11, 2002, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]