Memory leak?

It's about the only think I can think of to describe this one...

Occasionally, after playing for a good while, the graphics suddenly go kinda blocky. Instead of flame-shaped flames there are yellow square boxes. Then some of the ground tiles will just turn into solid brown boxes. Then all of them will, and the whole shebang goes monocolor.

I hit Alt-S, save the game, exit out of CM, then immediately relaunch, loading up the game as I just saved it. Graphics look normal. After a while playing, there we go again.

Rebooting solves the issue for a much longer period of time, hence I believe it to be a memory leak.

I've an Athlon 800, 128MB RAM and a Vodoo 3 3500 with recent drivers, if it makes a difference.

NTM

I experience a very similar problem, but it only started after I installed the latest Voodoo3 3000 drivers for Win98 a few days ago.

Even smaller scenarios suffer; the Wittman solo Tiger scenario lasts only a couple of turns before almost everything on screen turns white.

My specs:

Celeron 2 533

Voodoo 3 3000

256 MB RAM

Windows 98 SE

I ran many turns without this problem with the previous drivers, and no other games show this problem.

------------------

Felix Hack felixhack@acm.org

[This message has been edited by Felix Hack (edited 07-08-2000).]

• 3 weeks later...

Exactly this problem with my V3-2000

Using drivers newer then 1.04 makes the textures gradualy but rapidly deteriorate to an all white screen within about three turns(the info at the bottom of the screen still there though).

Using 1.04 the textures go yellow or, alternatively, brown/rust red/black.

With earlier driver the game runs as it should, only the high quality smoke does not work.

Sort of frustrating. Has there been any solution to this?

Cel 566

V3 2000

SB Live

128 Mb

MS Intellieye Mouse

Howdy!

I have a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI card and although I've had trouble with lock-ups I haven't had any problems with the textures. I ran the game with the 1.04 drivers and am currently using the 1.05 drivers. This is with Win98. What seems to have fixed the lockups is disabling 3D sound and turning off the weather. Apparently fog causes my machine to lock up. I know this doesn't address the problems you're having but I wanted to let you know that not all Voodoos are experiencing the same problems and that it might be something else in addition to the video card causing your problem.

Hope y'all get it worked out.

Cardinal Fang

Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition!

My system gives me problems on some scenarios

and not others. Size is not the problem!(for

me that is).I have suffered the brown-out and white-out described above.Brown-out on

"Chambois", White-out on "All or nothing"

I'm not sure about a memory problem, I have played Elsdorf and First Clash at Cambres

succesfully to a conclusion.

My system - Win98

Voodoo 3

128 meg

P11 350

>>Exactly this problem with my V3-2000

>>Using drivers newer then 1.04 makes the >>textures gradualy but rapidly deteriorate >>to an all white screen within about three >>turns(the info at the bottom of the screen >>still there though).

Interestingly (as well as aggravatingly),

this very problem has appeared on my box as well, even though I've been using the same

drivers since CM arrived here, three days

after its initial release without a hitch.

Immediately after receiving CM, I updated

to the latest Voodoo3/3000 drivers as the older ones were not displaying the new/improved smoke correctly. The new drivers fixed the problem immediately and as I stated, I have had ZERO problems until yesterday.

I find it odd that this problem would rear its head after such a long time, especially considering I have updated NOTHING with regards to either software OR hardware in the interim.

I don't believe the problem is with the map size either, as this problem is occuring in the Chambois scenario which is a "Medium" sized map. I've played through the entire

Team Desobry operation without a hitch and that's a "Large" map.

My driver is dated 4-19-2000 and is

version 4.12.01.0533

I believe an even newer one is now availlable, but I've not installed it yet.

I haven't seen a BTS reply in this thread, but I'm hoping they chime in with something.

PS: Just saw a review in "PC Gamer" today giving CM a 91% rating and highly recommending it. The juggernaut continues

to roll. smile.gif

Regards,

Odd

I don't know fellas, but it seems to be Voodoo related. I have TNT2 Ultra and haven't had anything like that at all. I hate to say it, but there just goes to show ya what a great product 3Dfx puts out. rolleyes.gif

------------------

"I for one, am pretty damn close to Genius"--Ol' Blood & Maximus

>>I don't know fellas, but it seems to be >Voodoo related. I have TNT2 Ultra and >>haven't had anything like that at all. I >>hate to say it, but there just goes to >>show ya what a great product 3Dfx puts >>out.

Maximus,

I'm leaning in your direction as well

on this issue and am wondering if perhaps it

has to do with something embedded into the particular scenario(s) in which this problem is appearing. For example, to date mine has

only experienced it in the "Chambois"

scenario, the one in which I first saw the

"Enemy Exit" markers. (I believe the enemy

must "drive through" these exit points in

order to achieve particular scenario goals.)

I'm gonna fire up the "All or Nothing" scenario and see if I can replicate it in

that one.

Regards,

Odd

>>I'm gonna fire up the "All or Nothing" >>scenario and see if I can replicate it in

>>that one.

....Happened in the "All or Nothing" scenario as well. I was afk for ten minutes after assigning movement orders for the first turn, and came back to the white screen.

Interestingly enough, when this happens, I can't access my email with Microsoft Outlook Express and need a reboot to return things to

normal.

When I try to check my email I get a "MSIMN" window advising me: "This program has performed and illegal operation blah, blah blah". Hitting "Details" provides me the following: "MSIMN caused an invalid page fault in module MSOE.DLL"

Gawd how I love computers. Where's my

rat poison? <G>

Regards, Odd

I have had all the same problems, I have an Athlon 800, 192 megs of ram and a Voodoo3 3000. I cant play the game for more than 2 turns without the graphics going totally nuts, the game is practically unplayable and i am very frusrated, does anyone know of anything to do besides a new graphics card, i have the 1.04 drivers. I di get the memturbo and have run it, but there is no change in the problem HELP!

I'm glad I found this thread. I have the same brown out problems with 'Chambois', haven't played 'All or Nothing' yet. I figured it was time for more ram or a new graphics card, but it is definitely Voodo and scenario related.

bhoke, are you saying you have these problems with every scenario? What about quick battles? You might want to install some older Voodo drivers.

I'm running a PII 350, 64 megs, Voodo 3 2000 PCI, v1.04 drivers.

I am having the same problem with tiles going 'white-out', eventually making the game useless if I do not exit immediately and restart. When I first bought the game, I did not see this problem. I am seeing it only recently with no changes to hardware/software. I did try reloading latest video drivers last night to see if it would fix the problem but same thing.

What I noticed is right before the tiles white-out is a general slowness of moving around the map (in this case 'all or nothing'). Last night I just happened to see a lot of disk activity during this slowness, usually have headphones on so I was not hearing the thrashing. I immediately exited the game and checked Task Manager and saw that my memory allocated was 237meg! The memory allocated before starting CM is 87meg. Basically have to reboot as the PC is useless at this point.

Video: Voodoo3 2000 PCI (latest win2k drivers)

RAM: 256meg

What gets me is initially I played a couple of scenarios w/o seeing this problem. Now it happens everytime. The bigger the map, the faster it shows up. I do not recall seeing this in the demo that has two scenarios in it.

Originally posted by brooktrout:

"What I noticed is right before the tiles white-out is a general slowness of moving around the map (in this case 'all or nothing').Last night I just happened to see a lot of disk activity during this slowness, usually have headphones on so I was not hearing the thrashing."

Same situation for me

"I immediately exited the game and checked Task Manager and saw that my memory allocated was 237meg! The memory allocated before starting CM is 87meg."

very interesting but what does it mean?

Tony.

This is just a "Same problem here and I'm glad I found this thread" post. Sorry I don't hava a solution either, but I sure am interested in one.

I have a PIII 450, 128MB RAM and the suspiciously ubiquitous Voodoo3 (think its the 3500).

I was thinking to buy up to a Voodoo5, but if it is the 3dfx chipset causing the problem....*sigh*

Hope we get a fix for this from somewhere!!!

OGSF

This is a strange problem. For those of you who are running Windows 2000 you may want to get the Service Pack 1 (hopefully there's some updates to the DirectX code):

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/recommended/sp1/x86Lang.asp

Reactorcritical has some beta drivers up and it may be worth trying them out to see if they address this problem. There are also some OpenGL updates (which don't apply to CM, but who knows, they may be worth installing) and some tweaking utilities that may allow you to adjust a couple of settings to see if they do anything in regards to this problem.

Reactorcritical (look for Voodoo 3 heading):

http://www.reactorcritical.com/download.shtml

>>very interesting but what does it mean?

Not sure. I have seen many posters using 64meg of ram and happy with the performance except a little bit of slowness on big maps so there is a problem if my machine has, after 1 turn in 'all or nothing', allocated 237meg of ram and is starting to trash the disk because the OS needs to stay in memory. The number of turns do not matter for me. It's when I am using the mouse to move and pan all around the big map, sometimes taking up to ten minutes to place and check everything, that the memory goes. It can go OK for several turns if I do not move around much.

This obviously is not happening to all voodoo users. Otherwise this thread would be too large to read. It's something unique to our configurations/settings/drivers. I saw a post on deja where a guy with a V5 tried the demo and immediately got the tile white-out and could not play it.

I was not aware that there was already a win2k service pack. I'll load that anyway although it's seems to be occuring on 9x machines as well.

I don't have the 3dfx tools loaded, maybe tweaking some of the settings will help.

Hi,

I have had something similar happen to me. After quite a while, and only in about one in three games, I find the odd tile goes purple/brown and looses all texture. Then the entire screen goes purple/brown and looks very like a purple negative, but with very few features or textures showing. I think, but am not sure , that it tends to happen if I scroll around the screen a lot. If I jump around the screen, that is just click on buttons rather than hold down, it tends not to happen. You can get around the screen without scrolling and it does not spoil the game.

system, PIII 450, Voodoo 3000, 128 RAM.

All the best,

Kip.