" Real " Treebases for the Battle of the Bulge Mod

NewBases.jpg

Gentlemen ,

I got mails from people who asked for " real " treebases for the BOB mod , cause they play with the " trees off " option :eek: :eek: :eek:

I uploaded an additional file on my modsite with an attempt to fullfill these needs (I still prefer the semitransparent version ).

BTW: yesterdays forum crash degrades me to a " junior member ".. a terrible experience after posting here for nearly 1.5 years and close to the age of 40 :mad:

Cheers

Tom

Hi Tom

BTW: yesterdays forum crash degrades me to a " junior member ".. a terrible experience after posting here for nearly 1.5 years and close to the age of 40 :mad:

I feel your pain as same 'Juniorising' thing happened to me though at a mere 37 it is not just as bad as for you smile.gif

Great Mod

Cheers

Hi Tom

I'm wondering if I'm the only player trying to run your new mod on a laptop with only 8 megs of ram?

I'm on a 400 mHz black G3 laptop and the snow on the terrain does not snow elevation with that lovely graduated effect. This is specific to the laptop as the same mod and game files look good on a 16 meg video card standard on the 500 mHz G4 tower :confused:

Does anyone else have the problem with the ground snow now showing the NICE green grass and snow graduated terrain elvation on a laptop?

my mod looks like this:

hold on while I load them be back in 15 min

Tom,

I too, know what you mean about being degraded. It happened to me during the “great crash of December 99” when my number changed from an honourable 400 or so, to 1500 or so.

BTW, truly, outstanding work. Every bit as big a leap as the Normandy set was for summer use.

All the best,

Kip.

PS. I am even older, 44.

Originally posted by kipanderson:

Tom,

I too, know what you mean about being degraded. It happened to me during the “great crash of December 99” when my number changed from an honourable 400 or so, to 1500 or so.

BTW, truly, outstanding work. Every bit as big a leap as the Normandy set was for summer use.

All the best,

Kip.

PS. I am even older, 44.

Me too

I had to start over then in that crash

that's when I got the 1515 member number I have now

:(

-tom w

[ February 24, 2002, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by Tom TCMHQ:

NewBases.jpg

Gentlemen ,

I got mails from people who asked for " real " treebases for the BOB mod , cause they play with the " trees off " option :eek: :eek: :eek:

I uploaded an additional file on my modsite with an attempt to fullfill these needs (I still prefer the semitransparent version ).

Cheers

Tom

thats a GREAT Shot!

my game still does not look that good

can anyone tell me exactly where to find that NEW tree bases mod on Tom's site?

is it now in the big 7.5 meg download?

thanks smile.gif

-tom w

Originally posted by Stryker1:

When you get to the page where you can download the big Bulge mod, there is a link underneath it for the additional tree bases.

HTH

Doh!!

Thanks I did not look down that far

Just to note I was the 655th person to visit that page

that sure must be ONE very popular mod :D

thanks again for the VERY prompt reply smile.gif

-tom w

Tom,

the add-on file is on the bottom of the " Ardennes " download site ( maybe you have to reload the page ).

BTW: I apologize for not answering your mail concerning the quicktime panorma idea. My mailbox was flooded with mails during the last weeks and I simply " lost control ". I´m sorry for that.

Cheers

Tom

[/qb]

Tom,

the add-on file is on the bottom of the " Ardennes " download site ( maybe you have to reload the page ).

BTW: I apologize for not answering your mail concerning the quicktime panorma idea. My mailbox was flooded with mails during the last weeks and I simply " lost control ". I´m sorry for that.

Cheers

Tom

no problem smile.gif

I'm SURE you were VERY busy

Now that I have it I will try to find the time to make a 360 pano of the mod

but I'm busy now too with work and a 5 month old son son so time is hard to come by...

GREAT mod by the way that was ONE helluva alot of work!

and it is stunning

THANKS again!

smile.gif

-tom w

[ February 24, 2002, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Tom ,

I am no expert , but judging from your pic I guess the 8 MB video card causes the problem. My new terrain tiles replace the hi-res snow bitmaps.

If there isn´t enough video memeory , CM loads the alternative low-res snow bitmaps. I fear that´s the price for all those shiny hires stuff on our computers.

Cheers

Tom

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

this is what it looks like on my G3 laptop (8 megs ram)

here's the link to a page with some screen shots

http://newmedia.sheridanc.on.ca/tomw/index.htm

Picture%2070.jpg

NewBases.jpg

Cheers

Tom

Think of it as another opportunity to relive your youth . . .without the acne.

WOW Thanks for the prompt reply

I figured that was the issue :( bummer

oh well

I prefer to play on my laptop ..... :rolleyes:

BUT I can still play with those GREAT winter terrain mods on the 16 meg (video ram) G4 tower

thanks again for your reply.

-tom w

Tom ,

I am no expert , but judging from your pic I guess the 8 MB video card causes the problem. My new terrain tiles replace the hi-res snow bitmaps.

If there isn´t enough video memeory , CM loads the alternative low-res snow bitmaps. I fear that´s the price for all those shiny hires stuff on our computers.

Cheers

Tom

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

this is what it looks like on my G3 laptop (8 megs ram)

here's the link to a page with some screen shots

http://newmedia.sheridanc.on.ca/tomw/index.htm

Picture%2070.jpg

</font>

Commissar,

:D:D:D ..THANKS ! THAT saved my day

Cheers

Tom

Originally posted by Commissar:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tom TCMHQ:

Cheers

Tom

Think of it as another opportunity to relive your youth . . .without the acne.</font>

Originally posted by Gyrene:

8mb of RAM sould be enough to show the mod...Tom (Aka Tom) what did you use to install the mod? MCM?

Gyrene

yup used MCM 3v1.6.1

I have got the GOOD new tree bases to show up

but somehow I can't over come the old low res snow files.

THat screen shot is from a map in the map editor that I made JUST for Jan 45 in light snow

but still now joy

I'm wondering if it is possible to make it work

or the 8 meg VRAM limitation is to blame

the EXACT same game file set up works fine on the g4 tower with the 16 meg VRAM?

Thanks Gyrene for your post?

any other mac users on laptops have this problem?

Its not a big deal I would just like to know if its user error (mine) and I can fix it or its is a REAL hardware limitation?

oh well

thanks

-tom w

…well executed bases, tom. - sensible color combinations, tolerance for irregular borders and subtlety create a welcome kick in the pants. This addition augmented one of the glaringly weaker elements of your audacious mod. My sincere thanks for all of the continued effort.

…folks, in case you are unaware, turning out competent terrain mods is nothing new for this guy, his “subdued” grass and “field path” textures are keepers as well.

aka_tom_w, I have the same crappy look on my computer (a desktop, tho), and I have a 32MB video card (G3 350). I also used MCM3, and I wonder what I am doing wrong.

I do get nice fog, though.

[ February 24, 2002, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Teggy ]

Very much appreciated mod, Tom. Well done! I especially like the newer tree bases; the default ones sparkle too much, and I'm not sure I could get used to the game without any tree bases. smile.gif

Can you Mac folks manually rename the BMP files before you import them (or whatever it is you have to do)? There are two sets of Snow tiles: 800~819 and 1470~1489. One is low-res (the 800 series, I believe), the other high-res. If you manually rename (or copy) all the files, this may force the card to display the higher res version (e.g. copy 1470.bmp 800.bmp; copy 1471.bmp 801.bmp; etc.). Or it could just really screw things up. ;)

Just a thought. If you're tempted, be sure to back your stuff up before trying this. smile.gif

- Chris

Tom,

Remember, only the good die young and then get reborn younger.

BTW, do your Bulge files for rails, roads, fences, bridges, etc. replace the ones I already have for summer and autumn? I like my summer files, but I do want to use your winter files.

Thanks for you hard work.

Originally posted by Teggy:

aka_tom_w, I have the same crappy look on my computer (a desktop, tho), and I have a 32MB video card (G3 350). I also used MCM3, and I wonder what I am doing wrong.

I do get nice fog, though.

Thanks I wondered if I was the only one

:confused:

It seems that we have no done something right to override the previous low res winter terrain files?

Anyone else have any problems on Macs? :(

Thanks for the reply

-tom w