Why do these games only sell Online?

This seems strange that games like this wouldn't be placed into the mainstream via EB and SE and so forth. Why do we have to order them and wait for shipment when they could be sold at retailers? I suppose they just do it because it's cheaper that way or something.

I think this is covered in the BFC Manifesto, but there is an infinitely lower amount of hassle with the infamous 'middlemen' that all want a cut.

Keeping it simple allows a better return on their invested time and resources. Since they reach a good portion of their prospective audience through the internet, it makes good business sense to just sell online to most markets.

In Europe, where it was explained that the market is not reached well through internet sales, BFC has an agreement with the retail distributor, CDV to sell CM:BO and CM:BB.

This set-up does not mean it is set up in stone for the next iteration of the franchise, but they believe it is a good deal for them at this juncture.

BTW, this is just my take on the situation, I do not claim to speak for BFC in any way, but to offer this hopefully correct response to keep them from having to stop what they are doing.

BDH

The Manifesto in its original form was becoming outdated, and has left us when the re-design of the webpages went up. It will be back at some point, but for now, the link from MrSpkr gives a nice overview.

Originally posted by Gaylord Focker:

If i opened up a can of worms and made a topic on Baby Boomers in the General forum, would people be able to discuss it calmly and sanely or would it just be taken as and or degenerate into a silly flame war?

There's probably only one way to find out. Go get 'em Tiger.

Oh and while we're here. At least you're able to buy things on-line you lucky thing. I will have to buy some kind of 'not offend the company lawyers in Germany' variant of CMBB from a shop and I won't be able to buy direct like I bought CMBO. So you should count yourself glad and thank your lucky stars.

I speak as a disgruntled company lawyer.

[ July 19, 2002, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Determinant ]

Sadly, the allmighty Buck (or Euro) seems to corrupt most anything it touches. When you commercialize a product and put it into the hands of the "financial/business/legal" whizzes, you just find them whizzing all over it, hence their moniker. :(

I once worked for some rocket scientists (literally, they were nuclear physicists) who opened up a little specialty Mac software store in San Diego. It was one of those labor of love things and I was fortunate to work there and to manage it for a while in the late 80's. Then the green-tinged monster moved in to our town (i.e. CompUSA) and shut us down pretty much. Our customers loved us but the big store could loss-lead us into oblivion, which it quikly did, leaving the customers without anyone that had our depth of expertise. Sure, we could speak with precision and knowledge about software and hardware, but the big guys won in the end because the dollar talks and the consumer is woefully short-sighted at times.

So, yeah, if BTS went and sold their products commercially in stores, you might find a bargain BTS title now and again, but in time the financial game would crush the life out of the company and we'd end up with sucky software.

If it works...don't fix it.