Should I buy CM:BO??

Originally posted by M. Bates

Download the demo of CMBO, play it to death, enjoy the summer, then purchase CMBB.

I honestly can't see the point in buying CMBO when the improved sequel is just weeks away.

Huh?!? What?

I would disagree with this statement. With the MOD's and huge amount of scenarios designed by some great folks. Some are raight gamey bastiches who make scenarios where you can't even beat the AI :eek: ...but I digress. These features alone make the game engaging. Add to that TCP/IP and PBEM. What more can you ask for.

BTW, whats the release date for CM3? :D

Originally posted by SixGunsSouth:

heheeh man you guys are getting me psyched for this game! I didn't realize you could replay the acion from different views. That rocks.

WE TOLD YOU!! :cool:

And another unsuspecting gamer bites the dust. Next thing you know he'll be getting abused in the Peng thread. ;)

After all this war talk I may have to go home and watch Saving Private Ryan tonight!

A love for SPR is what got me into all things WWII. I actually almost bought a pack of Close Combat 1-3, but on amazon.com, it said "if you like this game, try...Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord." I actually thought that CM was a SHAM and a maybe a SCAM to get ppl to throw down the cash, because it seemed too good to be true!

At first I didn't believe that a game that good actually existed...I figured that they were still developing it. The Vehicle list, 3D graphics, unlimited replay turn-based format, and innovative/realistic AI had me in doubt and disbelief.

I was convinced when I saw the Forum, and how there were hundreds of thousands of threads discussing the game...by then the CM Borg had its hooks in me, and I became a "lifer" after playing the Valley of Trouble scenario in the Demo...try it! CM rocks the Casbah...

Hey Six Guns! Buy it now!!!!! While the grapics are indeed outdated, this game rocks!!!!!!!! I can send you some pics of what a fully modded CM battefield looks like if you will e-mail me (to show you just how much the modders have improved the "look" of the game).

Here is my address:

DBURCH@bak.rr.com

Don't wait for CMBB. Even though it'll probably be better, CMBO is still worth owning!

ok, I emailed you. Hopefully these mods are easy enough to install because I will definitely want to use them. I have a fairly powerful machine. Graphics are the least important to me anyways. I look for great strategy, gameplay, and replayability. I will also most like make some scenarios for others to play that's fun too.

Thanks for everything people!

I was in the same position you are now in deciding to buy this game. Over one year ago I always looked for First Person Shooters and RPGs but suddenly when grandpa died and they gave me all his WWII memorabilia stuff I grew interested in the WWII games.

Once I installed it, the graphics were not match to other games in the market..but as weeks went by I began to undestand the grand scope of the game...then I sat and read the manual 3 times and I got it all right...no matter graphics this is the best game ever made...even better than Tie Fighter wich now scores 2nd place.

Yes , CMBO is that good...you know why? REPLAYABILITY...it all comes down to it. No 2 games are the same ever...no matter if you play the same scenario 300 times..the results are always different.

The other thing that got me going was the community. You will never find a more dedicated fans to any game than this guys. The PBEMs way of playing will bring you dozens of new friends to chat about your favorite hobbie..Counter Strike cant give you that!

Last but not least..the Mods..they are great..and it will become your crack. Saying all this, I a 30 year old guy from Puerto Rico...got to understand that this great game isnt about graphics or shading and frames..is about a bunch of guys who are devoted to you and me and they gave us Combat Mission Beyond Overlord!!! ;)

ok, I emailed you. Hopefully these mods are easy enough to install because I will definitely want to use them. I have a fairly powerful machine. Graphics are the least important to me anyways. I look for great strategy, gameplay, and replayability. I will also most like make some scenarios for others to play that's fun too.

Thanks for everything people!

Unzip any mod to the bmp folder, and voila', there it is. But to make it muuuuuch better go the the CMHQ page at http://www.combatmission.com/ and download CMMOS. Then you will be able to have tons of variable mods in place, and play with different ones depending on the scenario, time of year, your mood, etc etc. CMMOS is definitely the finest add on to the Worlds Finest Game!

[ July 19, 2002, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Vergeltungswaffe ]

I said you in the SC forum ;)

However, if you want a fast-check of the game features and screenshots check the products page ---> CMBO.

Also I would say that if you finally like the demo, you should by CMBO. CMBB will be better, but the time frame, theather of operations, etc. it´s totally different, and if you want to check US and Commonwealth forces you must get it. smile.gif

Originally posted by M. Bates:

Download the demo of CMBO, play it to death, enjoy the summer, then purchase CMBB.

I honestly can't see the point in buying CMBO when the improved sequel is just weeks away.

You really can't imagine why someone would buy CMBO right now?

What if they like the Western Front better than the Eastern front?

What if they have the money and want to be able to play either?

It's not like the game will get any worse after CMBB is released. I'll probably play both still.

Originally posted by karch:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by M. Bates:

You really can't imagine why someone would buy CMBO right now?

What if they like the Western Front better than the Eastern front?

What if they have the money and want to be able to play either?

It's not like the game will get any worse after CMBB is released. I'll probably play both still.</font>

My advice to you would be to download the demo. Play it, love it and buy CM:BO. Once that arrives you can discover how much fun this game really is. With its huge replayability, stunning tactical play with its many layed approach, challenging AI, loads of different units to play with. You can then take advantage of the many mods available to make the game look evan better. Next try the multi player option which just takes the game to a whole new level ;)

Once you have been trapped, hook, line and sinker by this game, you can then start to look forward to the 2nd installment. And, lucky old you, the next installment is only a few weeks away and feel glad you only have to wait that long. Some of the people here have been waiting since the idea was first mooted way back in early 2001, myself included. But then we did have CM:BO to keep us company during the wait :D

Yes , CMBO is that good...you know why? REPLAYABILITY...it all comes down to it. No 2 games are the same ever...no matter if you play the same scenario 300 times..the results are always different.

Not completely true...I always lose ! :D

The other thing that got me going was the community. You will never find a more dedicated fans to any game than this guys. The PBEMs way of playing will bring you dozens of new friends to chat about your favorite hobbie

Amen to that !

Just wanted to say that I've been a CMBO player for over a year. I'm using CMMOS and have tons of mods on my hard drive. I play CMBO whenever I get the chance. I've also been reading posts on this forum for quite a while. When I came across this thread it may me realize that I'm not the only one who thinks this is the best game out there. Period. It's the ONLY game I've purchased in the last three years that I haven't gotten tired of.

I find this forum so helpful that I finally decided to register and join. You guys (and gals) are all great. smile.gif

Counting the minutes to Sept 20th...