BTS!! Will the demo be on any games mags CDs etc?

Heres a big tip for all you 56kers, When you want to D/L a big file just start the download before you go to bed leave it d/l all night and when ya wake up in the morning its all done. how hard is that?

i do it all the time.

Well, Doctor Genius, in Ingoland here we don't have no clever ISP's. You have two systems- you either pay a monthly subscription for unlimited access, or you pay for each minute you spend online. However, the unlimited access ones have a 2-hour cutoff - so after 2 hours you have to reconnect.

How about you find out the answer before trying to look all superior? How hard is that? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Soddball:

How about you find out the answer before trying to look all superior? How hard is that? :rolleyes:

So, so, Soddball. Not everyone knows the pleasure of having a lousy European modem connection. And to be honest, I downloaded the original CMBO demo in the manner zee suggested when I was living in Colchester and had a 36k modem with NTL.

M

Originally posted by zee:

Heres a big tip for all you 56kers, When you want to D/L a big file just start the download before you go to bed leave it d/l all night and when ya wake up in the morning its all done. how hard is that?

i do it all the time.

I would be very surprised if other 56k users had not figured this out yet! That is the second of the Ten commandments of a dial up modem: Thou shalt download all large files whilst thou sleepest. The first: Thou shalt sell your 56k and thou shall immediatly purchase DSL!

Chad

Hello all you "I get disconnected when downloading overnight" whiners. There is a shareware program called "Get Right" that will automatically redial and start downloading again if you get disconnected. If the server supports restart it will pick up where it left off instead starting from the beginning again. You have to set the options correctly to do this, but it's not hard.

http://www.getright.com/

I've downloaded many a monster file with my lousy 56K connection using this program while I was busy sleeping. :D

[ August 28, 2002, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: StellarRat ]

My favourite download so far was SPWAW with about 440 MB.

On a 56k dial-up connection.

And when I finally installed the game, I got a "corrupt file" message.

When I posted the story on the matrix fourm, within minutes a bunch of people from around the world volunteered to send me a copy on CD. When I told them that I would, of course, pay for the CD and shipping, I only got answers like "...forget it.. we're all wargamers..."

Sometimes the internet still amazes me. In a very positive way.

Originally posted by DrAlimantado:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Soddball:

So, so, Soddball. Not everyone knows the pleasure of having a lousy European modem connection.

M</font>

It will be a bit ironic if in order for people with slow modems to play the demo scenarios they'll have to first buy the CD, then get the demo scenarios from a third party! Either way, sounds like the demo will prompt people to buy the full game!

:D

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

My favourite download so far was SPWAW with about 440 MB.

On a 56k dial-up connection.

And when I finally installed the game, I got a "corrupt file" message.

When I posted the story on the matrix fourm, within minutes a bunch of people from around the world volunteered to send me a copy on CD. When I told them that I would, of course, pay for the CD and shipping, I only got answers like "...forget it.. we're all wargamers..."

Sometimes the internet still amazes me. In a very positive way.

That was my biggest download too! Including a couple of false starts my phone line was tied up for 2-1/2 days! Oh, my wife was mad about that, lemme tell you...

Oh, I recall something like "...my mother wanted to invite us for Saturday evening but she told me she tried to give us a call since Tuesday, but the line was always busy! Do you know anything about that???"

*looking innocent*

"Me? Don't know what you're talkign about, honey..."

Sodball, AOl works fine never disconnected for me.

and Getright is an amazing program tohave u can pause and resume the download whenever you want. and if you lose connection the whole downlaod dosent cancel.

Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

I recommend download accelerator over getright, especially if you've got broadband.

I have broadband, but why would I ever need one of theose programs? Even the longest downloads are less than an hour, most are less then a few second/minutes...

[ August 28, 2002, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Panzer Leader ]