New(?) Unintentionally Hilarious Review

"The background music provides a nice effect, which lets you concentrate on the game."

What background music? Perhaps it's drowned out by my men laughing.

" Some units are heavily armored in some areas and bare in others. Your goal is to shoot them in the area where they are bare, to more effectively get rid of it."

"The background music provides a nice effect, which lets you concentrate on the game."

What background music?

I've heard something that sounds somewhat like background music. I suspect it was a bird call of some sort. I recall it happening primarily in Finland and North areas.

I rolled my eyes at the discussion of armor and hitting "bare spots" or whatever.. its not exactly a document that will be quoted 200 years from now or provide the foundation for a new world-wide religion. However, the author seemed to "get" the game, and made good reccomendations based on that understanding.

I'd cite the review as an example of BFC's success in produceing a "very simulation feeling" wargame that you don't have to be a grog to enjoy.

The joke is: no reveiwer can seem to grasp that the vehicles are based on historical statistic values. Therefore, when the reviewer states: "BTS has done a good job of evening out the play, by modelling tanks with weaknesses, and other tanks with superoir weapons..." I'm like: "noooo, thats jsut the way it was."

That's why I realy yuk it up when someone talks about "Vehicle upgrades." ;)

Originally posted by Lord General MB:

[QB]The joke is: no reveiwer can seem to grasp that the vehicles are based on historical statistic values. Therefore, when the reviewer states: "BTS has done a good job of evening out the play, by modelling tanks with weaknesses,QB]

I'd like to get some of these reviewers in a room and ask them when World War II occurred, and between whom? I'm guessing the answers would make us laugh for months.

The joke is: no reveiwer can seem to grasp that the vehicles are based on historical statistic values. Therefore, when the reviewer states: "BTS has done a good job of evening out the play, by modelling tanks with weaknesses, and other tanks with superoir weapons..." I'm like: "noooo, thats jsut the way it was."

Had this reviewer said those things, I'd be laughing, I assure you. As it is, I'm not willing to read

The actual vehicles and soldiers have both weaknesses and strenght which flow into the game perfectly. Some units are heavily armored in some areas and bare in others. Your goal is to shoot them in the area where they are bare, to more effectively get rid of it.

as a laughable display of ignorance. Of course, it's possible I recieve more stimulation than you, and so my threshold of mirthful reaction is higher. But the reviewer doesn't state that BFC made up the stats, strengths, weaknesses, etc, just that they "flow" into the game well. Which I interpreted to mean that they very wide variety of "stats" (relative to most RTS games, for example) that the CMBB player is confronted with don't interfere with one's enjoyment of the game. And that's a point worth making, given the deplorable taste for oversimplification displayed by many.

The description of the players "goal" is somewhat ah, "lacking" - but it's certainly not as bad as some of the others we've seen.

The reviewer clearly understood that CMBB is a turn based tactical simulation, and can be enjoyed as such by anyone who appreciates the genre. No meantion of power ups, no requirement that the game be realtime or have a campaign, or statement that the game is too slow, or the graphics are too old-looking. Just that they might not to be to everyone's taste.

As grogs we of course hold others to exacting standards and grumble when they are not met, and that is as it should be. In this case, some of you are not meeting my high standards of charity and understanding. Therfore, I grumble. ;)

I don't mean to sound too snotty or disapproving. (Rather "Just snotty and disapproving enough.") But I don't think mocking reviews like the one linked to above serves any good purpose, but instead does serve to foster a "Us vrs. Them" mentality that isn't healthy. (Or "nice", when you come right down to it.)

There are some truly "hilarious" reviews out there: multiple eggregious factual errors all stacked atop a foundation of "Why doesn't this play like Red Alert or Quake?". Lets make fun of them. Lazy, ignorant... basically incompetent reviewers. The author of this review, though, while he sounds fairly clueless, also sounds capable of learning. And while he obviously isn't Samuel Johnson reincarnated, if he came here he could read posts, ask some questions, and generally strive toward achieving grogdom. Which is a good thing, right? OTOH, if we simply want to make fun of people anytime we can or want to... that's what the MBT is for.

[ December 12, 2002, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: Tarqulene ]

Excuse me, let me clearify:

This review isn't specificaly what I'm talking about. I do remember reading a review in which someone DID downgrade the game becuase it lacked, and I quote, 'upgrades.' Another review stated that the game would have been much improved with a first person mode, to allow the player to attack tanks head on. Yet another review requested that the game's realisim be improved (!) to resemble that of Medal of Honor (!!). These I laugh at (but of course, the all time favorite, "Why don't the tanks explode when my rifle team shoots at them?")

You are right, this review sounded better then most. My gripe is really with the assumption that BTS is trying to model the game through giving units 'values' and playing to see if the game is accurate, and if not, changing these values to make the game accurate, or something, when, in reality; the game is modeled through historical stats, to the milimeter. CMBB, IS THE WAY IT WAS, if you will. ;)

Sorry for posting late and drunk, but I'll try to live up to my usual "standard"...

This review in particular seems to be by a "twitch dude" and someone who doesn't have english as his first language, but he still seemed to enjoy it in his own way. And that is something I found funny comparing to the other "grand" wargame out there, GI Combat. Even though that game was "aimed" at the twitch crowd (said the developer), they still hated it (highest I've seen from a "real" review is 71%, others 59-10%), where as "our" game has been ranked 94 - 65%, by "serious" and "twitch" sites alike. Uhm I forgot what I was going with this... Oh that's right, seems like most twitchers sees this is a good game, even though they understand it's not made for them. Uhm something like that.

[QB]Excuse me, let me clearify:

This review isn't specificaly what I'm talking about.

Ok. I wondered if you might have been just making a general statement.

Well, I'll stand by my post as a "general statement", and only grumble about the failure of others to preciently read my mind and so make their posts perfectly unambiguous. ;)

[ December 12, 2002, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Tarqulene ]

Some units are heavily armored in some areas and bare in others. Your goal is to shoot them in the area where they are bare, to more effectively get rid of it."

That does sound funny until you remember the "English as a second language" thingmie. (trade "bare" for something like "thinner" or "lightly" and it works. Hmmm, I wonder if he got his English/xxxxx dictionary from Monty Python? "I would like to sleep with your fish")

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

He should have given the graphics at least a 7.5 - 8. I've seen some new games out out & just by looking at the box art, they look positively crappy compared to CMBB in terms of vehicle graphics.

I agree. My big issue is that they compare wide-open "whole terrain" games against the texture-quality, modelling, etc, of "indoor games" like Quake III, and say "well, these graphics are terrible compared to Quake III/UT, etc.". Well, when Q3 can display 2000 meter wide vistas with 200 units on scree, without fogging, you let me know! tongue.gif

They don't look at the holistic view of whatit's doing, just "this unit doesn't look as good as THIS unit on this OTHER game, which only has to model 4 units at a time"

CMBB has actually very good graphics for what it needs to do.

Operation: Flashpoint also got marked down for graphics for the same reason, and that's one of the most impressive looking games I've ever seen.

Are you suggesting that tanks in WW2 didn't have hit points? Are you crazy?

tongue.gif

I think due to his ethnic sounding name you assume english isn't first lanquage.But this is what's coming out of our(usa)high schools these days.The leet speak swirling about as "cool" certainly dosen't help matters either.I think he did pretty well considering I've seen americans talk about the enoyying truble off peeple who kint spel. :confused: