Comment on Aircraft - Nice Job

I am quite impressed by the number of aircraft available and the low purchase price for many of them. I really appreciate this aspect of the game.

I am also enjoying watching the rockets being fired, adds allot of immersion into the game and makes it more exciting to play. The adrenaline really gives a rush.

Wadda go BTS, you really nailed the aircraft right in CMBB !!

Regards,

Voxman

I was playing a Quickbattle (hand-selected Axis vs AI selected allied) where I had carefully set up multiple anti-tank guns to defend against a Soviet assault. Then to my horror roaming Stumoviks picked-off the guns one-by-one before the main force appeared! It was painful to watch but also VERY impressive. Now I cringe whenever I hear a distant aircraft sound.

[ October 01, 2002, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Why do you feel AA couldn't handle a Stumovik-IL ?

I looked in two books:

Jane's Pocket Guide Fighters of WW2

and

Aircraft of WW2 by Chris Chant

and I cannot find this aircraft listed. Does it go by another name ?

Originally posted by mchlstrt:

So do AA assets have an effect, & has that been changed along w/ the Aircraft? I've never really understood how this aspect of CM 'works'. Could a Flak Gun ever have 'Stumovik-IL' listed in it's Kills window?

strt

From my experience flak works best in batteries, use 2 at least placed closely together so they get the same field of fire.

The hostile planes also seem to go after your best flak first...usually in this order 8.8, 37mm, quad 20mm, 20mm.

In a test scenario my 2 quad 20mm got 5 air kills, the 37 mm and 8.8 pairs only got 1 for each pair. They also got knocked out very early.

2 quad 20mm can usually shoot down an Il-2 before it gets into firing range.

All tests done with regualr units.

I remember reading in this forum a while back about a rare occurance. Apparently a US 90mm AA gun crew shot down a low flying jabo with one shot without unlimbering? Seems like a 1 in a million chance. I would doubt that an 88 in CMBB can even target airpower. . . haven't tried it yet. . .but. . .

I do believe you should thank Madmatt himself for getting multiple aircraft into the game. I think I heard somewhere that aircraft was his baby and he lobbied hard to get them in.

I also heard a (possibly incorrect) story that the aircraft specs went into the game just before Matt's 40 gig hard drive died, killing off all of his aircraft references! A close shave! The story may be incorrect, but it's still a neat anecdote.

The aircraft is definitely an improvement over CMBB.

Hopefully, in the CMII engine they could increase the aircrafts prestige in the game further by doing the following:

- Allow the plane to first be seen by shadow, then the plane itself, then reflect the rockets/bombs being shot, then the pull up.

- You could even show the AA tracers firing past the planes and the flames of the plane if hit.

- If a plane is hit you could have a % chance that the pilot ejects and could drift out of play.

These things would really increase the excitement and immersion of the game.

As always, comments welcome on this.

Do you know what time period the Germans had aircraft available for purchase in CMBB ? I am having trouble finding them. Perhaps, it is only at the beginning of their attack on Russia.

Regards,

Voxman

Originally posted by Voxman:

- Allow the plane to first be seen by shadow, then the plane itself, then reflect the rockets/bombs being shot, then the pull up.

- You could even show the AA tracers firing past the planes and the flames of the plane if hit.

- If a plane is hit you could have a % chance that the pilot ejects and could drift out of play.

I believe the engine still allows for height levels from 0-19 x 2,5m with the average height being level 7 (19 equals a 30m elevation above average terrain level).

How many aircraft made their attack run at or below 30m?

With Shift-A at Maximum, I believe the scope of the battle is above 30 metres.

Perhaps MadMatt could comment on this ?

Originally posted by Zarquon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Voxman:

I believe the engine still allows for height levels from 0-19 x 2,5m with the average height being level 7 (19 equals a 30m elevation above average terrain level).

How many aircraft made their attack run at or below 30m?</font>

AA guns definitely down planes and the planes will be listed in the kills screens. Haven't played around with them in CMBB but the quad AA's are wonderful air defense systems in CMBO. Whenever I see AA guns in my axis inventory in a scenario I think "thank goodness I have something to keep the planes off my back". The bad situation is when you have no AA and you know planes are coming. Painful.

Check out the BoB record for a 40mm Bofors. (http://members.tripod.com/kilroybob/bob_records.htm) if you want to see what an AA gun can really do. Ouch.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I do believe you should thank Madmatt himself for getting multiple aircraft into the game. I think I heard somewhere that aircraft was his baby and he lobbied hard to get them in.

I also heard a (possibly incorrect) story that the aircraft specs went into the game just before Matt's 40 gig hard drive died, killing off all of his aircraft references! A close shave! The story may be incorrect, but it's still a neat anecdote.

Actually it was a 60 gig IBM Drive that died. I had already submitted all my research for the Russian planes but what was lost was some incidental details on Hungarian, Italian and Romanian planes and some availability info on certain German aircraft. I am not sure if any of those other minor nation planes would have been added or not to be honest though. Airpower in Combat Mission has always been tertiary to the real focus of the game and thats fine.

Don't forget, before Charles shackled himself to CM he had two other WWII aircraft games under his belt (Over the Reich and Achtung Spitfire) so he has plenty of data and knowledge to draw from.

Incedentally, a month after I lost the data on that drive I had a second IBM 60 gig die on me as well. Long story short, I have since switched to another drive manufactorer. In both cases it was a physical fault with the drive mechanism and severe media damage.

Madmatt

Does anyone know if the little Russian bi-plane with the nickname "sewing machine" made it into the game?

I was reading about how it used to do night attacks over stalingrad.

It flew into the battle zone and then switched off it's engine to glide in on it's target run. Then they dropped one bomb. (Don't remember if it was 250lbs or what.)

Sounds like a nightmare. smile.gif

Gpig

Yah, that Hs-129B-1 is pretty impressive when it does it's cluster-bomb run.

As for the "sewing machine", that was a Polikarpov U-2 (later re-designated as Po-2). Nope, didn't make it in.

You should read up on the "Night Witches" though: Many U-2 pilots were female, because the Stavka didn't want to "waste" their male pilots doing harrassment night raids in little wooden bi-planes.