Comment on Aircraft - Nice Job

Originally posted by von Lucke:

You should read up on the "Night Witches" though: Many U-2 pilots were female, because the Stavka didn't want to "waste" their male pilots doing harrassment night raids in little wooden bi-planes.

I don't think it was a gender issue, just the difference between trained combat pilots (90% males) and pilots with limeted civ-only training.

Besides flying a 'sewing machine' at night to drop 10kg of HE on sleeping germans isn't exactly a glam career, so I guess it was a major turn-off for the men :D

Actually, way back in the Beta days I believe we did have the PO-2 (U-2) but it was removed as it was primarily used as a night time harrasement bomber and not really relevant to the types of engagments CMBB depicts.

It would have also required too many code

changes to allow for only certain planes to attack at night.

Madmatt

Not completely correct. When AA is targeted by the AI on the aircraft a label with the aircraft type is located where the aircraft is and the distance from the the AA gun is available.

In addition, this provides proof that with the Shift-A command an airplane graphic would be visible. CMBB could reflect the plane, the plane being destroyed and the pilot bailing out of the plane.

The plane crash and pilot do not necessarily have to land on the battlefield, they could crash off screen.

Lot's of potential for improvement here for either CMBB patches or with the CMII engine.

Let's hope BTS follows up on these issues.

Cordially,

Voxman

Originally posted by rd:

You only "see" the airplane shadow. The actually plane is not seen. However, the bombing & straffing is modeled quite nicely.

[ October 02, 2002, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Voxman ]

I found the plane. It is listed under Ilyushin IL-4 and IL-2.

If I scan the pages and save them as a .jpg is it possible to post them on this webboard ?

If so, what are the commands to make a .jpg file show up ?

Thanks,

Voxman

Originally posted by Voxman:

Why do you feel AA couldn't handle a Stumovik-IL ?

I looked in two books:

Jane's Pocket Guide Fighters of WW2

and

Aircraft of WW2 by Chris Chant

and I cannot find this aircraft listed. Does it go by another name ?

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mchlstrt:

So do AA assets have an effect, & has that been changed along w/ the Aircraft? I've never really understood how this aspect of CM 'works'. Could a Flak Gun ever have 'Stumovik-IL' listed in it's Kills window?

strt

</font>