What is your favorite gun in the Axis forces for CM?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Andreas:

I actually think it is horrendously ugly... <hr></blockquote>

And you call yourself a grog.... tongue.gif That's a Pak 43/41, the one on the artillery carriage. I mean the one on the swivel platform.

[Edited because the damned picture doesn't show]

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: panzerwerfer42 ]</p>

Pak88 horrendously ugly?

On this picture, you're absolutely right.

I saw (in a Wochenschau) a 88er PAK in heavy action on the eastern front against T34s and with the fast reloading fieldgrey german soldiers with the beautiful helmets, it looked absolutely fantastic.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Warmaker:

Well a little note on the 150mm guns:

Blast value of the 150mm Inf. Gun = 164

Blast value of the Hummel (150mm) = 200!

The pain! Oh the pain!<hr></blockquote>

I think they fire a different round, but I do not know enough about the difference between shell types to comment any further.

Fwiw, the 15cm s IG33, which I assume is the one we're talking about in CM, used a 38kg round (15cm I Gr 33: fuzed s I Gr z 23, in the technical nomenclature): "The standard high explosive shell, of elderly design with a blunt nose and a non-streamlined base. A single sintered-iron driving band replaced the copper band during the war. The filling was 8.3kg of amatol 50/50." (I believe that's a ratio of ammonium nitrate and TNT.) From Hogg p.27 cited above in this thread. The howitzer could also fire smoke, hollow charge, and demolition shells for bunker-busting, mine-wire obstacle clearing, etc. The latter aren't represented in the game.

The Hummel had a 15cm sFH18/1 L/30 (Selbstfahrlafettehaubitze "self-propelled (gun) carriage howitzer," very roughly, of 30-caliber length) howitzer and used 25kg Gr39 H1/A HE rounds. Gr is "Granate" (shell), and H presumably "Haubitze" (howitzer). The gun is presumably, by its looks, a relative of the various schwere Feldhaubitzen (s FH) field artillery models. You can see in photos and in the game the significant difference in length between the guns, as well as the distinctive recoil damping cylinders on the Hummel's gun. Can't find more than that off hand. Data from Chamberlain and Doyle's Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two.

The contemporary U.S. Handbook on German Military Forces (War Dept. Technical Manual TM-E 30-451) lists the weight of the Hummel's HE round as 95.9 lbs.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Stacheldraht ]</p>

The Hummel and the Infantry gun HE shots behave quite different in CMBO.

Despite the small blast value, the infantry gun can drive folks out of foxholes much faster. Try it out, noticable difference.

CMBO offers the single unit characteristic "blast value" only as a summarz for the user, internally the game calculates with a more complex model of actual explosives blast and shrapnel effect, so different guns with the same blast value may behave differently.

The speed of the HE shell may also be taken into account for target effects (besides the penetration capability), I am not sure.

In the game - has to be 20mm AA. Put them far back with a wide field of view and they can plink away without being spotted forever.

Good for gun & track hits on evpensive afv's leading to forced bail outs, kills on light afv's and disruption of infantry formations.

Even when the enemy closes to within 300m and spots them he will have a tough time getting rid of them without expensive artillery. Not bad for a 20 odd point unit.

Have to go with the Flak18/36. Put these somewhere with an open approach and assign them a HQ with double morale bonus and they're killers against both infantry and tanks, plus they stand a pretty good chance against light artillery, too. Zooks are a bit of a problem though.

apex