How do I control units?

I'm new to this game and I'm playing the demo. The first time I played it I could highlight the HQ and all members of that group would move as one unit.

Now, the HQ moves on his own, leaving his platoon behind. To get the platoon to move I have to click-drag over all the platoon and give them their instructions separately.

What am I missing please?

Guest Panzer Boxb

You can either select each individual squad/team/vehicle and give it specific orders or double-click the platoon leader and give them all one order.

Just a little clarification - If you select multiple units (either by bandboxing or double-clicking an HQ unit), you can issue a single move (or fast, sneak, etc.) order to the whole group. After issuing that group order, you can deselect the group (by clicking somewhere else) and then select units singly to fine-tune the order (such as moving the endpoint a little bit to get it positioned just right, or to add another waypoint, rotate, etc. at the end).

If you don't use it already, you might find the "Show all paths/targets" setting helpful in the orders phase - use Shift-P to cycle through the display settings - that way you don't have to select each unit to see what its destination and/or target is.

Pvt Ryan's comment is probably what you need - and it's especially noticeable when the HQ has a better experience level than the other units.

[ September 20, 2002, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Offwhite ]

Thanks for all that. I did get around to reading the ReadMe file, which does have the information - but buried in lots of text. A list of keyboard/mouse commands would help. This is usual with most games.

I didn't read anything in the ReadMe about why it takes so long to save (at least I think that's what it's doing - the blue progress bar next to 'save' on the toolbar). In a complex game this really slows down the interest. Can I turn it off?

It's not saving, it's calculating everything that is happening in that turn - vehicle movement paths, unit spotting, targeting, firing, hitting, missing, morale checks, casualties, and so on. The more going on in a turn the longer it takes to compute the data.

Originally posted by Andy Gaffney:

Thanks for all that. I did get around to reading the ReadMe file, which does have the information - but buried in lots of text. A list of keyboard/mouse commands would help. This is usual with most games.

--------------------------------------------------

Hey Andy, when playing the demo(and the game)there is a list of hotkeys available. Just read the interface toolbar, its there at the top of a tablist.

Hope you enjoy the game,

Krazy

Originally posted by Andy Gaffney:

OK, while it calculates the exact path of every molecule I'll read the instructions more closely. Though 35 secs wait puts quite a damper on the gameplay. Is that normal?

Thanks for the tips.

yup thats normal

it is a TURN Based strategy game

apparently the real game, full verison "crunches" the turn faster than the demo. Or so we are told from folks here posting about the FULL CDV version they have already received in Germany BEFORE the weekend so they can PLAY ALL WEEKEND unlike the rest of the world (except South Africa) that has to wait until some time next week or next MONTH to get it.

(oh NO, .... I'm NOT bitter) smile.gif

-tom w

OK, while it calculates the exact path of every molecule I'll read the instructions more closely. Though 35 secs wait puts quite a damper on the gameplay. Is that normal?
Could be your system? On some of the bigger scenarios,(in CMBO) it can take up to that long..but..Usually zips right on by, for me..