Would you like to see the Maus in CM:BB?

Just for fun, for Fictional Battles and Campains. I would not mind having them Model one just for us to use in our Fantasy Battles, that keep the war going. Just the Maus, or other tanks that saw Limited, or rare combat. No P 1000's tanks, and stuff like that, that gets a little too Fantasy.

What do you think?

Your missing the Point of my post. I said a Maus for Fantasy use and already your quoting me on what the germans had.

Fantasy campains like Operation Sea Lion, where germany invades england are fun to play "What If" battles could have a Maus (with all the fantasy support it needs) attacking Western Russia cities, after Moscow had fallen, in a Fantasy campain.

I just think it would be Interesting is all.

[ May 10, 2002, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Volker ]

I understand where you are coming from and I agree it would be fun to play around with but then you have to ask yourself - self, would you really like to see it if it caused another more important or needed vehicle in the game to be excluded? Probably not and I know you agree and just wanted to talk about it. I myself have to keep myself from getting too excited about when and what it's going to be like when it comes out. I bet it's going to blow us away. So yeah I'd like to see the thing too. ;)

Well yeah, I want the main tanks first and only. Maus just only as an extra feature or easter egg for Map Makers to play with. What If Russia fell, and the Maus was starting to be used after may 1945.

do you really want to wait x amount of time for the game to be released while they add in the fantasy stuff?

I know I don't, and I don't think adding vehicles that never saw combat would enhance the game anyway.

Originally posted by Volker:

Your missing the Point of my post. I said a Maus for Fantasy use and already your quoting me on what the germans had.

Fantasy campains like Operation Sea Lion, where germany invades england are fun to play "What If" battles could have a Maus (with all the fantasy support it needs) attacking Western Russia cities, after Moscow had fallen, in a Fantasy campain.

I just think it would be Interesting is all.

Why not include purple twin-turreted hovertanks, I mean, just for fun what-if scenarios.

No.

There are pleanty of marginal AFV's that saw limited action which, for me at least, would be more important to include than the Maus, which never got beyond two incomplete prototypes (which were blown-up by the Germans in 1945 anyway)

Fantasy may have its place but, please, not in CM.

the Maus was a protoype, they only made one, as far as I know, it was 140 tonnes in weight, and looked like this... attachment.php?s=&postid=268937

(at least i think thats the Maus)

it was one of hitlers new range of "Super tanks" there was also going to be a range of "E" tanks to replace the MKs that were in service.

[ May 11, 2002, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: Grey Hunter ]

The Maus was not a member of the "E" series of standardised tanks. E-100 would have been its equivalent in that series.

Maus, like E-100 would have been of extremely marginal value on a battlefield. That would be required to eliminate it would be the use of a minefield - once its tracks were broken, it required the "most sophisticate hydraulic jacks" in order to lift it. During trials, one of the two prototypes broke a track. It took several days to fix and that was under ideal conditions and involved digging a six foot trench and laying a foundation of heavy beams for those hydraulic jacks to lift the vehicle and allow the track to be repaired. In combat, that would have been impossible. As there were no recovery vehicles which could even budge the beast, it would have had to be abandoned.

No, I don't want Maus in CMBB. I just want a good, broad range of standard vehicles, rather than every odd-ball experimental piece of equipment that graced the fevid imagination of Dr. Ferdinand Porsche and his mentor Herr.Hitler.

What do you mean Fantasy has its place? How many Fictional Battles or Operations has everyone played? Ok, so lets jerk out all Fictional Missions from the game, and from the depot from now on if Fantasy does not belong in CM. Im really surprised with the response im getting from this, you guys are usually really cool about this type of thing. But this is my last post about it, as I see its heading down to a flame war anyway. It was just an idea, you dont like it, fine by me. I respect your opinion. smile.gif

And of course I dont want them to hold the game just to make the Maus, this was only a Quesion to you the fans, not an order to BTS :D

[ May 11, 2002, 04:37 AM: Message edited by: Volker ]

Well, why not? Even if the Maus was a terrible tank - to slow, to heavy. More like a movable pillbox.

But I would really like to see the JS-III. It was for sure as rare as the JT, but it was long enough on the front to be known as Tigerkiller.

Volker,

I think you are getting a bit of a reaction because the Maus pretty much devoid of charm and historical interest. It was a ridiculous design with little or no relationship to the strategic situation and demands of German (or indeed any country in the war) in 1945.

The players won't buy it because it's too expensive and clumsy and those into history will have one single scenario to play with called "Pretty much pointless defence at Kümmersdorf".

It will be interesting to see once, it did exist after all, but after that it will just fade...

M.

With all these extreme tanks, you have to ask yourself "did anyone continue in this direction after the war" (i.e. is it viable, or is it just silly)? I don't see any tanks remotely Maus like (not even close), so I rate Maus (and the UK's Tortoise) as not a practical weapon. There is a very good reason for this. smile.gif If you want to see what it would do, fine, it kills anything it can see, and no one can penetrate it. If you want to be anywhere near historical, it already is in the game. You cannot have one on the battlefield because it is stuck on a train, or broke down, or got hit by air attack, broke a track, or just plain is late. In fact, you should also take 10% points off the Germans, to allow for the effort and resource that is trying to unbog/repair/defend it smile.gif

If you are going to try for an impractical fantasy like a Maus, I don't see it as any different from me asking for a P1000, or a wheeled version of Bismark to appear in the game - just isn't a historical game anymore. ;) Now, the inclusion of real prospects that were just too late (Centurion, IS3, etc), now that's almost worth having (but not at the cost of any delay!)

Just my 2p.