Weather effects in CMBB

Thankfully due to corps choice I've avoided having to fight dismounted in sub zero conditions. But recreational time spent in the snow (albeit in the moderate winter here in Aust) suggests that there would be issues with prolonged exposure without the right gear.

How about AFV's and crew served weapons?

The idea of a dawn soviet assault being met by panzer crews in vehicles with frozen oils and obscured optics doesn't sound too good. Will we be able to setup with fires lit under the vehicles to keep them in working order?

In QB's I can live with the idea that the vehicles you receive are the "goers" with the others frantically being worked on in the Assy Area.

In operations though this could be a real issue with a platoon leaguering after a long day and as subsequent night battle develops only being able to deploy three goers and two M Kills due to the cold?

YankeeDog, ofcourse you're right what you write but i mean the specific situation of the fight. And only this is modelled by CM.

The 30-30-30 rule doesn't fit to a person under the highest possible adrenaline concentration possible: fighting for life.

The example of lying in the snow for several hours was ment as a comparison between a stressed and a non stressed person.

No relaxed person can lie several hours in the snow around zero without an adequate clothing and without catching a cold.

For soldiers in action this is no problem.

What happens after the stressing situation, when the adrenaline concentration decreases is another point, but not part of CM.

If the non-funcioning of the different weapons will be modeled more drastically this would be fine and if the non-useable vehicles are taken into account like being eliminated, this would have a much more realistic impact on the morale than reducing the morale just because of the time of exposure to the cold, although the troops are envolved in hard fights.

[ August 01, 2002, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Schoerner ]

Originally posted by Nidan1:

I guess along with modeling adverse effects of extreme weather on troops, how would CMBB handle entire battalions of drunken Russian soldiers raping and pillaging in East Prussia and Berlin in 1945? A player on the Russian side would unexpectedly lose control of his units while they wandered aimlessly in circles in German towns for a few turns? The possibilities are endless.

I guess they'd handle it the same way they'd handle drunken German SS and E-Truppen torching villages full of human beings in Russia and Ukraine in the preceeding 4 years.

:rolleyes:

gunnergoz, I apologize for a lame attempt at humor, raping and pillaging is not funny under any circumstances, I was being extreme and I dont take sides when it comes to the war between Russia and Germany, it was brutal, unforgiving, and a horrible experience for all directly involved. Maybe we lose sight of that sometimes in the comfort of our homes playing war games.

Mea Culpa!!!

Originally posted by Schoerner:

You're talking about the influence of the longer exposion to the cold over several battles, but this isn't modelled by CM.

CM gives you at the beginning of each battle 100% fully equipped and healthy troops.

If a typical CM 20-30 minutes battle starts, then there wasn't in reality that big effect on the morale of 100% complete and fresh infantry you all are talking about.

The influence on the morale of a 20 minutes fight itself is MUCH higher than the influence of the cold and therefore it is good that it isn't modeled that strong you are talking about.

If you have to fight again and again, it's another point - but not part of CM.

I think that this will be modelled in CMBB, though. As I understand it, the "fitness level" can be used to show troops weakened by long exposure to the cold - so you won't start out with troops 100% fresh.

If we assume that the troops are fresh and have just come from a warm area into a cold area, then there would be far fewer effects from the cold, assuming that the troops took certain elementary precautions. But there weren't a lot of warm areas for German troops to gather in during the fight for Moscow, say.

[ August 01, 2002, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Hedges ]