Strange combat

Enemy force bypasses a hidden platoon.

Hidden platoon gets discovered by enemy units, all hvy weapons and one FO.

Well, my platoon commander, down to 2 men, finds the FO and spends 2 turns shooting at it from 1 meter range, killing one dude.

But...

The FO defends itself by plotting fire on my unit, just one meter way, and it kills my HQ and it gets away!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wilhammer:

[QBThe FO defends itself by plotting fire on my unit, just one meter way, and it kills my HQ and it gets away![/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The increadible thing about this is that this sort of thing really happened. I've read several accounts of men calling down artillery on their own position. I think Audie Murphey was one of them.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wilhammer:

The FO defends itself by plotting fire on my unit, just one meter way, and it kills my HQ and it gets away!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow ! :eek:

What's the FO name and rank ? I need this guy for my next game...

Hmmm, would it be possible to buy him multiple times like Wittman in some scenarios ? Hehe, now i'm invincible !!!

--

Cafard

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gen-x87H:

I lost a tiger at 800 meters with a comet in a head on dual last night. Blew the tiger sky high. Looking at the penetration values for the comet I am baffled.

Gen<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The British Comet is quite capable of getting a Tiger kill at most ranges. Why? The Tiger I is now old by CMBO timeframe but it's old design has the armor sloped at horrible angles of 0-10 degrees. Now here are the penetration values for the Comet WITHOUT tungsten at 0 degree angle: 100m:154mm/500m:143mm/1000m:130mm/2000m:103mm.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pak40:

The increadible thing about this is that this sort of thing really happened. I've read several accounts of men calling down artillery on their own position. I think Audie Murphey was one of them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Japanese spotters routinely called in mortar fire on themselves.

If you read the book "The Green Beret" theres a chapter where a special forces unit in vietnam calls a gunship attack inside his perimeter. Of course, I don't know if you can believe the book or not. I heard of a similar account during the Gulf war as well. (recon unit behind lines). If you know it's coming and they don't, you at ;east have a btter chance than your enemy.

At that range, and those odds, you have a good chance of dying. Calling in arty on your position, you know its comming, you get down, the other poor sod doesn't and is running around in the open, maybe, just maybe, you get to see the next sunrise.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pak40:

The incredible thing about this is that this sort of thing really happened. I've read several accounts of men calling down artillery on their own position. I think Audie Murphey was one of them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One vivid account of this happening is in Charles MacDonald's outstanding book "Company Commander". One of his platoons--he was, indeed, a WWII American company CO-- got overrun, trapped and isolated during a night city attack. The platoon leader and most of his men were in the basement of a house with many Germans tromping around in the house upstairs. They called down arty on their own heads and the Germans bugged out. The platoon later got out with no further casualties.

What the AI often seems to do when an FO is threatened is call down smoke for protection. I'd sure rather deal with that than HE. I wonder if the FO who started this thread was actually a "fanatic"--since his performance is out of line with standard AI behavior. (BTW, FOs count for 30 victory pts and are well worth killing in CM terms, whenever possible.)

I just had to tell someone about this one. I am about five turns from the end of a PBEM game. My infantry force is strong and virtually untouched but must cross 100-150 meters of open ground to assault the flags, which my opponent is in tentative possession of (he has just endured some 8" Howitzer shelling). My bazookas are empty; I have one M3 HT for fire support for the infantry assault.

But, my opponent has a Mk IV tank overwatching the open area, vigorouskly shelling any infantry that shows its face. Since my FO has LOS, I figure what the hell and target my last 2 rounds of 8 inch artillery on the tank. By my honor the two 8 inch rounds fall simultaneously, one of them is a direct hit on the top of the Mk IV!!!

smile.gif

I hope you plan on writing HQ and recommending that FO for the Silver Star!

I am currently in a PBEM and the Germans had an AT gun that was giving me fits. Anyway, one of my HQ units happened to have LOS on it and that HQ unit had a 60mm mortar team attached to it. I had 17 shells left as it was my last option I figured what the heck. The second shell that fell knocked out the gun! (That team is getting the distinguished Service Cross) hehehe

In First Clash at Cambes, I had a Sherman reverse right over the 3 survivors of a Company HQ...they got "squished." I saw no other units target the HQ, and I can't imagine the Sherman shooting straight behind it...since its flexible .50cal ammo was zero at the time.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jwxspoon:

But, my opponent has a Mk IV tank overwatching the open area, vigorouskly shelling any infantry that shows its face. Since my FO has LOS, I figure what the hell and target my last 2 rounds of 8 inch artillery on the tank. By my honor the two 8 inch rounds fall simultaneously, one of them is a direct hit on the top of the Mk IV!!!

smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everyone knows the one in a million chances happen nine times out of ten :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nedlam:

...I am currently in a PBEM and the Germans had an AT gun that was giving me fits. Anyway, one of my HQ units happened to have LOS on it and that HQ unit had a 60mm mortar team attached to it. I had 17 shells left as it was my last option I figured what the heck. The second shell that fell knocked out the gun! (That team is getting the distinguished Service Cross) hehehe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The on-board mortars are superb for taking out AT guns. Really, you just used the correct weapon system - nothing strange that I can tell... or did you HQ pop the gun with it's pistol? Now that is noteworthy.

This happend on just the second game against the AI that I ever played. I had the artillery spotter target enemy infantry 200 meters away. A "spotting round" landed right on top of of the spotter eliminating both members of that team. This round also killed a member of the MG squad right next to it. :mad:

I must of watched that replay 15 times. I am pretty sure it was friendly fire and not an enemy mortar.