Wild Bill's Rumblings of War [Part IV], aka RoW

The highest tourney score before AARs is: 12.83

The lowest tourney score before AARs is: -8.86

A player would score zero if he was always on the median.

Full credit AARs are worth .367 tourney points each.

7 x .367 = 2.569 points for seven full credit AARs

The deadline for AARs is NOON on Friday (GMT -6). At that time the rankings will be posted for all three sections. If you are at the top of your section you move on to the Finals. If you have the highest 2nd place score you move on to the finals.

Treeburst155 out.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WineCape,

I think maybe you should announce the four finalists before I post the final rankings. It will be more dramatic than a page full of numbers. Besides, you're the tourney sponsor. It's your job I think. smile.gif Will you be available Friday evening your time? That's when I will be ready. I can inform you of the results before I post them.

Treeburst155 out.

I have determined that the AARs will not affect who the four finalists will be. IOW, I already know for sure who they are. :D AARs WILL have an effect on various other players' final ranking.

Therefore, WineCape, as tourney sponsor will be announcing the four finalists sometime between now and 11 AM (GMT-6) tomorrow morning.

After NOON tomorrow (GMT-6) I will post the rankings and scores for all, with and without the AAR points. The AAR deadline is still NOON on Friday (GMT-6) for AARs.

And now, lets have a warm round of applause for our tourney sponsor, WineCape, who is approaching the podium with the envelope of finalists in hand......

I thank Treeburst for the grand introduction :D

This is NOT the Oscars btw, so please gentlemen, no long thank you's to your dogs and hairdressers smile.gif

The winners are.....

SECTION I: GREG REDEKER

SECTION II: HOLIEN

SECTION III: LEONARD DICKENS

BEST 2nd PLACE: WARREN MIRON (SECTION I)

Congrats gents! Hard earned. Thanks to all the other participants. Without you there would have been no sparring partners to the above winners ;)

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

----------------

"I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."

-- USA Actor W. C. Fields

Rankings from 1- 24 were as follows, based on pure game point totals: It MAY contain errors; Treeburst, our Tourney Manager, will confirm if these total points are all OK.

1: Dickens – 537 pts. (Congratulations “Wreck”)

2: Holien – 455

3: Redeker – 438

4: Miron – 408

5: Jukka-Pekka - 391

6: Kingfish – 377

7: CDIC – 363

8: Johnson – 349

9: Enoch – 340

10: Svensson – 339

11: Sowden – 332

12: Tom - 326

13: Zalewski – 324

14: von Lucke - 323

15: Gaspari – 321

16: Juha – 311

17: Kettler – 310

18: Davidson – 289

19: Travisano – 287

20: Rohde – 277

21: Bertram – 276

22: Moore – 259

23: Georges – 218

24: Pixelmaster – 217

Thanks for being a sport Pixelmaster. You took command over from another player while the tourney was already in full swing.

Regards,

WineCape

We can all see who is the clear leader.

A worthy opponent who is head and shoulders above us mere mortals.

We are not worthy.... We are not worthy...

I hope to wreck him but by looking at these results it will be a tough challenge. "Hard Times" ahead.

;)

In someways I wish I could drop out as I know the anguish that is yet to come as I have some bloody tough opponents to beat and some beatings to take... (Hmmm I wonder where are my old school books...)

:(

Bugger...

May the thought of a crate of wine keep my sprits high as my force moral levels are lowered.

I will of course be employing JK as my PR advisor when my forces are being battered seven shades of blue. (That is of course if he can keep his I-mac running. tongue.gif )

;)

H

[ March 22, 2002, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: Holien ]

BUMP THUMP BUMP!!

(That is the sound of my head hitting the desk, my ass hitting the floor and my head hitting my ass, as I faint from disbelief)

Wow now I get to get creamed publicly!!

I officially claim the underdog position and dedicate all my games to the other 20 fellas who coulda had this slot if I had turned left instead of right.

Yes, Warren is the underdog so I will be rooting for him. smile.gif

Leonard Dicken's play was absolutely phenomenal! I knew he was big on the ladders, but I figured some blind scenarios where he couldn't pick his forces would bring him down. How wrong I was! I'll be studying his AARs when I get a chance. That's for certain.

Pixelmaster deserves another Honorable Mention here. All his games were already in progress when he started. He was way behind the average as far as the number of turns completed in each game when he took over. In spite of this he managed to crank out the turns and finish in a timely manner. Thanks, Pixelmaster, for digging me out of that potentially serious jam.

On a similar note I'd like to thank MickOZ for filling in for George who was forced out due to Real Life.

Just a few more hours and I'll be posting the final rankings. It might be interesting comparing them to the raw totals WineCape listed.

Go, Capt, Go!!

Treeburst155 out.

Congratulations to all the finalists, you are truly worthy winners. I look forward to reading about the battles yet to come between some obviously capable opponents.

To Holien, Redeker, and Miron: I weep for you. Be prepared for a very tough fight from Leonard. He pretty much wiped the floor with the rest of us poor souls in section 3.

Keep us updated as your battles progress!

Well, I'm honored to have made it this far. Congratulations to all the other tourney particpants - it was fun.

I have this sneaking suspicion that it's now a case of out of the frying pan, and into the fire. ;) Fortunately, there's a chance to win some wine to douse the flames... :D

Pssst... Holien and Capt... what do you think of banding together to form the "Leonard Dickens' Axis of Evil"? smile.gif

Hmmm I don't think even if we ganged up we would stand much chance.

He has a keen eye and a steady hand when playing this game.

In the last tourney I played with him in it (T House) I was lucky enough to be in another group and came second in that group.

I am just hoping he has had a bad day when we meet up....

Hmmm or maybe a good day....

;)

Either way it shall be fun if not painful... I am sure I will learn some new tricks...

smile.gif

H

I am guessing it is a Yank vs Brit showdown and I need to keep my End up for Her Majesty? :eek:

The fateful day has arrived at last, bearing tidings far worse than expected--17th in a field of 24, two of whom were short notice replacements! I figured that I was doing far better than that.

But my prediction was right, at least. I did significantly better in the more structured environs of RoW, where I didn't have to contend with all that mini/max ahistorical nonsense, than I'm doing in the Invitational, where with three more games to go I'm next to last in terms of score.

Holien can hire me for "losing the battle" whining, but his whining about losing (while winning) seems to have been the better approach by far, as borne out by the results. Holien, do you offer correspondence courses? Clearly, you have both the tactical and psyop sides of the game well in hand.

Congratulations to all the winners! Wish I were one, too!

Regards,

John Kettler

Here are rankings by section BEFORE AARs are figured in:

Section One

Redeker.............. 8.54

Miron................ 6.47

Jukka................ 2.56

Johnson.............. 2.17

Sowden.............. -0.18

Bertram............. -5.25

Moore............... -5.73

Pixelmaster......... -8.58

Section Two

Holien............... 8.39

Kingfish............. 2.01

Svensson............. 1.84

vonLucke............. 0.38

CapDog............... 0.35

Kettler............. -1.52

Tom .................-2.58

Georges/Mick.........-8.86

Section Three

Dickens.............. 12.83

Gaspari............... 0.87

Juha.................. 0.38

Enoch................. 0.33

Zalewski............. -0.07

TabPub............... -3.91

Travisano............ -5.19

Rohde................ -5.23

JK you have me sussed...

;)

And I would dearly love to buy you a beer.

As for those results just posted can any statician explain what it means baring the obvious.

Which was the stronger section? My guess would be section 1 but can you deduce that information from the stats?

H

Here's how the sections stack up when all the AAR points are added in:

Section One

Redeker.............. 11.109

Miron................ 9.039

Jukka................ 5.129

Sowden.............. 2.749

Johnson.............. 2.170

Moore............... -4.999

Bertram............. -5.250

Pixelmaster......... -8.580

Section Two

Holien...............10.959

Svensson............. 4.409

Kingfish............. 4.212

CapDog............... 2.919

Kettler............. 1.049

vonLucke............. .038

Tom .................-1.479

Georges/Mick......... -8.86

Section Three

Dickens.............. 15.399

Enoch................. 2.899

Zalewski............. 1.215

Gaspari............... .870

Juha.................. .747

Travisano............ -2.621

Rohde................ -2.661

TabPub............... -3.910

Here is how players stack up overall, WITHOUT the AARs added in. This is the Nabla equivalent of the results list WineCape posted above (meaning no sections, no AARs). This is the list that will be used to determing what section you are in for the WineCape CMBB tourney should you wish to participate.

1) Dickens............... 12.83

2) Redeker................ 8.54

3) Holien................. 8.39

4) Miron.................. 6.47

5) Jukka.................. 2.56

6) Johnson................ 2.17

7) Kingfish...............2.01

8) Svensson................1.84

9) Gaspari................ 0.87

10) vonLucke.............. 0.38

11) Juha.................. 0.38

12) CapDog................ 0.35

13) Enoch.................. 0.33

14) Zalewski............. -0.07

15) Sowden................ -0.18

16) Kettler................ -1.52

17) Tom................... -2.58

18) TabPub................ -3.91

19) Travisano............. -5.19

20) Rohde.................. -5.23

21) Bertram ................-5.25

22) Moore...................-5.73

23) Pixelmaster............. -8.58

24) Georges_Mick............ -8.86

That's it for now. I'll be posting the finalists' schedule, and passing out the scenarios to the players HOPEFULLY tonight.

Treeburst155 out.

Congrats to all four finalists! And watch out for Leonard Dickens!

One way to measure the Leonard Dickens effect is that all but one of other six members of Section III (Gaspari w/o AARs) is in the lower half of the list of twenty-four tourney participants, in terms of total scores (i.e. we're ranked 13th or below out of 24). Since otherwise we just played each other in the section and would on average be even relative to the overall tourney performance, our various disasters vs. Leonard "wrecked" our scores to the point of dragging five of the six of us below the tourney norm. This guy is GOOD.

[ March 22, 2002, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

Wow, not my best performances obviously, but an experience I would not have missed for the world. A couple of ideas for a new signature:

ROW, Section III last place (but barely)

ROW - not last place overall!

ROW, Section III, I've been wrecked!

Seriously, though, I am now anxiously awaiting redemption and demonstrating vast improvement when the first CMBB tourney begins!

Below is the schedule for the finals. Each player will play every other player one time. Each player will play each scenario one time. Each player will have his score compared to every other player one time (playing the same side of a scenario). Warren Miron will play the Germans all three times. This is unavoidable in order to meet the other more important criteria for the schedule. As always, the Allied player is on the left.

A Ranger_Challenge

Dickens Holien

Redeker Miron

Der_Berg

Redeker Dickens

Holien Miron

Flag_Rush_Hill

Dickens Miron

Holien Redeker

The two secured scenarios will be sent to the German player to start the game along with his briefings and passwords. At the same time the Allied player will be sent his briefings and passwords.

"Flag Rush Hill" will be sent to both players as a "tourney saved" scenario. The German player will need to start the PBEM (default tourney save).

Treeburst155 out.

[ March 22, 2002, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

The Dickens Effect, I like that. I'm sure much can be learned by playing Leonard and studying his AARs. He's definitely the man to beat.

It will be interesting to watch the top dogs battle it out in Section One of the CMBB tourney.

Then we will get to watch the "lowly" Section Three winner crush the Titan in the finals!! :D

Go, Capt, Go!!

Treeburst155 out.

Forgive my ignorance, but have the AARs been posted yet, and if so, where? Yes, I know, there is a certain silliness to asking this question when I didn't submit any, but I'd like to have a look at the experiences of those who did commit theirs to paper (or the electronic equivalent). Thanks.