What is this "somefink" or "sumfink" stuff all about?

Dear 9107,

Those things are our Memorabilia.

The "Fix or do Somefink" as well as many other Gems have been Free Floating in this Forum for some times now.

Now if you'll be so kind as to look on the Upper Right part of your screen you'll find the Search Feature.

Here it's Yellow because I kicked it in the liver so that it would be visible off a green background.

:D

Originally derived from classical Americana slang, and used primarily to confuse enemy communications intercepts. Sumfink provides no direct German interpretation. To the German, it became the totality of snitches interpreted as sum=total, and fink-snitch, ergo when used in a sentence as in "Do sumfink!", the typical German intelligence officer understood the order to mean, "Provide a total count of internal spies". Thus making the enemy believe that an internal investigation had begun during battle and that the Americans would be busy searching for spies.

Here at the forum, we don't dabble in history, we make it.

Am I the only one that just noticed that this Captain Stransky had an Email address that is shared by the forum name of the only person to stick up for him in that whole thread, GAZ NZ? Sneaky, cheeky little bugger.

Did anybody catch onto this before? Am I being two years too slow?

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

Am I the only one that just noticed that this Captain Stransky had an Email address that is shared by the forum name of the only person to stick up for him in that whole thread, GAZ NZ? Sneaky, cheeky little bugger.

Don't know about being 2 years too slow but I believe GAZ NZ even admitted at one time that he posted under both as a "joke". That was before he went off to "police collage" (his spelling, or lack thereof).

Keith

Originally posted by sitzkrieg:

That was before he went off to "police collage" (his spelling, or lack thereof).

Keith

What is wrong with the spelling? He may be cutting and pasting pictures of deputy sheriffs or something . . .

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

What is wrong with the spelling? He may be cutting and pasting pictures of deputy sheriffs or something . . .

Oh get with the program!!! You should have posted:

What is wrong with the spelling? He may be cutting and pasting pictures of deputy sheriffs or somefink . . .

What's the matter, you ride the short bus to school or somefink?

[ July 19, 2002, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Herr Oberst ]

[Edit:Oops, nevermind. I guess if I would have taken the time to read the linked-to thread, I would have known.]

But anyway, thanks for the clarification on the "sumfink" deal. Especially about the German translation story. That was interesting.

[ July 19, 2002, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: StarFleet Captain ]

I had not seen the other post. I guess he thought "somefink" was the correct spelling, since he wrote it that way twice. Or perhaps "somefink" was a joke between him and his friends and he was inadvertantly passing the gift on to us.

Originally posted by Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife:

Anybody check out GAZ_NZ's profile in that classic thread?

a brief excerpt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Interests: Gung, Guns and more Guns

Either he needed a 'D' or an 's'.</font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife:

Anybody check out GAZ_NZ's profile in that classic thread?

a brief excerpt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Interests: Gung, Guns and more Guns

Either he needed a 'D' or an 's'.</font>