Citadel : Bogging in steppe ?

Just wondering if there ever came an official word from On High about the whole steppe bogging experience? It's definitely going on, and I'm just curious about how spongey steppe terrain is supposed to be...

PS: The new bogging sound-effect is just a tad --- errrr --- wimpy. Sounds like the tank is running over a whoopy cushion!

Guest SnarkerII

Had two MkIIIs immobilized in steppe terrain also. Just chalked it up to the new terrain, but from Matt's comment I don't think it's a function of steppes. Both tanks had 'fast' orders.

Is it possible one of the new features is vehicle reliability and the tank just broke down, threw a track at high speed???

Contains possible spoiler

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

The last time I played the Citadel scenario as the Russians one the MKIVs became bogged and then immobilised bang in the centre of the map mid way between the scattered trees and rough (where the default settings place the Russian AT teams) and the first flag.

I have never seen this before in ten or so attempts at the scenario and would not have thought anymore of it but for Madmatt's post.

On a slightly seperate issue, with extreme fog of war on should I know the enemy tank has bogged? My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Yep..people ..bogging is not just a case of "my tank got stuck in soft earth" but also an abstraction of things like failed transmissions , thrown tracks , failing and broken track pins , broken links etc.

We are having our preconceptions regarding combat on the Eastern front challenged once again ;)

Crapola happens..things break and that is what you are seeing in an abstraced way via "bogging".

regards

MÃ¥kjager

on my first attempt i had 2 bogers(one pIII and one pIV) before they even reached the first roadline.i was like.. hmm well .. dunno... but after i thought about it it seemed pretty obvious to me why they bogged.twas becouse i drove fast over steppe terain.after this incident i only used move/conntact/hunt commands while on steppe or rocky terrain, and voilá not one bogger in 2 complete scenarios played.

cm getting closer and closer to reality...scary

Originally posted by MÃ¥kjager:

Yep..people ..bogging is not just a case of "my tank got stuck in soft earth" but also an abstraction of things like failed transmissions , thrown tracks , failing and broken track pins , broken links etc.

We are having our preconceptions regarding combat on the Eastern front challenged once again ;)

Crapola happens..things break and that is what you are seeing in an abstraced way via "bogging".

regards

MÃ¥kjager

I'd agree with you, except the frequency seems to be way too high to write it off as an intentional feature. Besides, I recall BFC stating before that vehicle reliability was more an issue at the operational than the tactical level, i.e; if yr tank is on the field, it's assumed it has no mechanical defects, otherwise it wouldn't be there would it?

By turn 5 of the Citadel scenario I've had 5 tanks bogged --- none permanently, thankfully. At that rate, every single German tank will be mired in the steppes before ever reaching the objectives! And I was using the Hunt, Move to Contact, and Move commands --- all slow-to-moderate speeds.

Now, I've never been to the Asian steppes, but I have been to the Great Plains region of the US (what's left of it), and suprisingly it can be a bit soft and boggy in places. That's why I'm curious if what we're experiencing is intended, or just a minor bug with this new terrain type.

While playing the Reds, I witnessed a Pz III bog for a couple of turns before it finally worked free. It was on level steppe terrain, no rocks, and it was traveling at slow speed. No shots were fired at it.

BTW, I am skeptical that mechanical breakdown would produce a recoverable bog. Immobilization, yes, as I would expect it to take more time than is available in a game to fix.

Also BTW, I too am concerned that I was able to get an indication on the tool bar that the enemy tank was bogged. I had no nearby units that could have observed it in that much detail.

Michael

[ September 10, 2002, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Originally posted by von Lucke:

Besides, I recall BFC stating before that vehicle reliability was more an issue at the operational than the tactical level, i.e; if yr tank is on the field, it's assumed it has no mechanical defects, otherwise it wouldn't be there would it?

That's mostly true, but it doesn't absolutely preclude battlefield breakdowns. Those occurred too. And breakdowns are not necessarily the result of defects; they can result from normal wear as well.

Michael

The official word is that things have been tweaked for the first patch smile.gif

The problem was a mathematical one, not one of modeling. Not even technically a bug, but rather a value in a spot that should have been lower. Easily corrected smile.gif

The basic problem had to do with the number of vehicles moving at one time. Those of you who used bounding overwatch probably didn't see many (or any!) bogging. Those of you that had all the vehicles moving at once (in Fast, probably) would have seen an increased changed of bogging.

I have to say that I personally played this scenario a dozen or more times and never once saw a tank bog. I also don't recall any testers mentioning bogging. But with the number of players greatly increased, and people playing multiple times, that pretty much flushed out the problem smile.gif

Steve

The MkIV that bogged in the steppe in my game was travelling fast, so I put that down to a thrown track and thought that was a cool "new" feature.

In fact, IMHO, there should be a possibilty, even if only a small one, for vehicles travelling fast to break down in almost any terrain except, perhaps, paved roads. Even dry, warm steppe is not billiard-table flat; there are all sorts of little depressions and bumps to catch the unwary.

yup amazing bogging.. PEOPLE we had a wee visit to Koblenz and we saw a multi million dollar US M1A1 Abrams "Bogg" infront of our eyes.. IIRC about 2 cobble stones worth about maybe 0.75 US Cents do it too! they got locked between the teeth and the tracks.. was quite humous.

stones, wood, sheep and even cats can get stuck in your tracks you'd be amazed.

buch o winers here I think this belongs to the "how can that be SS.. er sorry WG conscripts??" Threads. tongue.gif

but that's my wooden nickle worth