The Goliath

Once saw a photo of a dead Russian alsatian dog in a war book(6th Pz Div history I think) with a satchel charge of explosives strapped to its back and a short stick trigger-rod sticking up vertically from the device. Apparently Ivan trained them to run under German tanks and boom,goodbye panzer and Rover!

The dog in the pic had been shot as it approached Jerry lines,and then photographed by the Nazis for propaganda against the "inhumane" Russkis.

Edited to include this appropriately sad face- :(

[ December 19, 2002, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Headshot ]

Originally posted by Headshot:

Once saw a photo of a dead Russian alsatian dog

Oh my God, there were mine dogs on the East Front?!?! And motorcycles?? And night-vision Panthers?!?!? Well, Crikey, BTS musta missed that episode of the History Channel. What a bunch a' amateurs.

Now excuse me while I deploy my dog mines. They don't work too well on people or tanks, but they sure teach them poochies a lesson.

Mine dogs, problem was that the Russians trained the dogs by teaching them to look for food beneath a tank that they had handy......a destroyed tank.....a destroyed Russian tank. The dogs learned to associate food with the outline of that tank.

So, and yep you have guessed it, when released on the battlefield the hungry dogs made a beeline to the nearest tank.....a Russian tank.....now a destroyed Russian tank.

The whole mine dog was a very limited practice at Leningrad, if memory serves. Totally outside the scope of the game and a total failure.

Now the Goliath demo tank, I would love to see that. But not sure the game mechanics would permit it. So, BTS, please prove me wrong.

MikeT

Originally posted by MikeT:

Mine dogs, problem was that the Russians trained the dogs by teaching them to look for food beneath a tank that they had handy......a destroyed tank.....a destroyed Russian tank. The dogs learned to associate food with the outline of that tank

Hilarious. I never heard of that. It's like the CIA "Spy Cat" where they wired a house cat internally with a sensitive microphone, and then released it in a public park in Moscow known to be frequented by Soviet insiders, in order to pick up whatever it could.

The cat got run over by a car in 5 minutes.

:(

Mine dogs, problem was that the Russians trained the dogs by teaching them to look for food beneath a tank that they had handy......a destroyed tank.....a destroyed Russian tank. The dogs learned to associate food with the outline of that tank.

So, and yep you have guessed it, when released on the battlefield the hungry dogs made a beeline to the nearest tank.....a Russian tank.....now a destroyed Russian tank.

The whole mine dog was a very limited practice at Leningrad, if memory serves. Totally outside the scope of the game and a total failure.

This is reminiscent of a story I heard (probably an urban legend -- it's too good to be true) of some good ol' boys in Minnesota who got all liquored up and decided to go ice fishing with their (brand-new) SUV, their guns, and some dynamite. Sounds promising right there, doesn't it?

Unfortunately they also brought along their trusty dog, who as luck would have it, was a retriever.

Men drive out onto lake, toss lit dynamite. Dog obediently scrambles after burning stick and trots happily back towards them.

Men enter panic mode and start shooting at dog. Dog, by now seriously freaked out, seeks cover under nearest large object, the (brand-new) SUV.

BOOM! goes dog. BOOM! goes (brand-new) SUV. BOOM! goes men's insurance claim.

If it didn't happen, it should have, if only as a cautionary lesson.

Originally posted by Screeny:

Just watching a discovery docu....it showed the Goliath , a remote controlled small vehicle with a payload. Just drive it from a distance to the objective.....press the button.

I WANT THIS IN CMBB!!!!!!!!! tongue.gif

gr

Screeny

And I want ASLA68 Acts of Defiance! smile.gif

Once saw a photo of a G.I. sitting ON a little captured Goliath with its control box in his hand having fun driving himself around and trying out different buttons..!

(Also read a piece once about how U.S.troops used to play around with tiny captured Japanese "Knee mortars" and mistakenly thought the name meant you knelt down and rested it on your thigh to fire it.But after a string of compound fractured femurs the word quickly got round..)

Word from Matt (at least my old memory of what he said) was that he purposefully left Goliaths out of the game because he was sure there'd be dozen of these little buggers gamily (gameyly?) scooting all over the map blowin' things up real good!

Doesn't quite match Matt's mental picture of how the game should operate, I guess.

I dimly recall something about Goliaths being immobilised by rather brave souls cutting the command cable with an entrenching tool as they trundled merrily along.

Not a job I'd fancy, given the likelihood of German covering fire and all that.

I think they'd make an entertaining addition to the game.

Originally posted by Terrapin:

I looked up Mine Dogs and someone actually built a set of strategy game rules (for some unknown maybe hand-built strategy game) for the dogs. Hilarious.

http://pratt.edu/~rsilva/bgwwii/pdf/dog-rules.pdf

dog_mine_001.jpg

Nice doggie.... :D

Neat posting Terrapin,but if I can just digress-The photo also nicely shows why some German war accounts jokingly refer to T-34's looking like 'Mickey Mouse' when their top hatches were open! (The ears,get it?) :D

Originally posted by notalex:

This is reminiscent of a story I heard (probably an urban legend -- it's too good to be true) of some good ol' boys in Minnesota who got all liquored up and decided to go ice fishing with their (brand-new) SUV, their guns, and some dynamite. Sounds promising right there, doesn't it?

What a ridiculous story. Of course, if you claim it occured in Wisconsin it's quite possible.

Mike, I thought the dogs were fed underneath fully functioning tanks with running engines (otherwise you'd have a hard time getting a dog to run under a moving tank), and when they were released they ran towards the soviet tanks, because they recognized the sound/smell/whatever of the soviet engines.

Originally posted by Leutnant Hortlund:

Mike, I thought the dogs were fed underneath fully functioning tanks with running engines (otherwise you'd have a hard time getting a dog to run under a moving tank), and when they were released they ran towards the soviet tanks, because they recognized the sound/smell/whatever of the soviet engines.

And what I heard is that the dogs had a little sit down meeting and said to each other 'sod this for a game of tin soldiers. Blow us up, will they? Let's all run under the bloody Soviet tanks.'