The Goliath

Originally posted by Headshot:

Neat posting Terrapin,but if I can just digress-The photo also nicely shows why some German war accounts jokingly refer to T-34's looking like 'Mickey Mouse' when their top hatches were open! (The ears,get it?) :D

Yup, agreed. Also notice that that T34 has had better days. Gun is gone (turret pen?), front and side skirts are all chewed up, etc.

I assume they used functional tanks for something a little more pressing than DOG MINE TRAINING! :D

Originally posted by Terrapin:

I looked up Mine Dogs and someone actually built a set of strategy game rules (for some unknown maybe hand-built strategy game) for the dogs. Hilarious.

Looks like the Easy-Eight's Battleground rules for 28mm scale miniatures (skirmish/tactical game) they had an interesting but complicated armor system, but I think they went bust recently :(

28mm ww2 miniatures has been a slaughterhouse in recent times, I don't think there is a company currently in business that has been under the same ownership for more than a year.

[EDIT]Official site seems to be dead but here's a site that shows something of what the battleground system was supposed to be... Battleground Group Portland

[ December 20, 2002, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Foxbat ]

Originally posted by Terrapin:

Yup, agreed. Also notice that that T34 has had better days. Gun is gone (turret pen?), front and side skirts are all chewed up, etc.

I assume they used functional tanks for something a little more pressing than DOG MINE TRAINING! :D

According to Zaloga this pic is supposedly taken in the eighties (and it is a scan taken from one of his books so he should know), guess the mine-dogs were relegated to the task of disposing of old rang targets...

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by notalex:

This is reminiscent of a story I heard (probably an urban legend -- it's too good to be true) of some good ol' boys in Minnesota who got all liquored up and decided to go ice fishing with their (brand-new) SUV, their guns, and some dynamite. Sounds promising right there, doesn't it?

What a ridiculous story. Of course, if you claim it occured in Wisconsin it's quite possible.</font>

Originally posted by notalex:

This is reminiscent of a story I heard (probably an urban legend -- it's too good to be true) of some good ol' boys in Minnesota who got all liquored up and decided to go ice fishing with their (brand-new) SUV, their guns, and some dynamite. Sounds promising right there, doesn't it?

Unfortunately they also brought along their trusty dog, who as luck would have it, was a retriever.

Men drive out onto lake, toss lit dynamite. Dog obediently scrambles after burning stick and trots happily back towards them.

Men enter panic mode and start shooting at dog. Dog, by now seriously freaked out, seeks cover under nearest large object, the (brand-new) SUV.

BOOM! goes dog. BOOM! goes (brand-new) SUV. BOOM! goes men's insurance claim.

If it didn't happen, it should have, if only as a cautionary lesson.

Probably a false story.

http://www.urbanlegends.com/animals/dog_dynamite.html

Many years ago I talked with a veteran of the fighting in the Anzio area of early '44. He said the Germans used Goliaths there with very little success. Some either got stuck or had some sort of failure and most were spotted and disabled with rifle/BAR fire. But a few did get through. He claimed to have been asleep when one got through and went off not far from where he was and to this day had some metal in his head, being wounded by it while he slept.

So, I would think they could be put in the game, but it would be for more static situations, with a limited range, high breakdown/vulnerability, and maybe hard to spot in low visibility scenarios. But quite a big wallop if they get through.