My only complaint about the demo

hmmmmm, I have to agree with you there. But I think the reason behind this, rather than anything negative regarding CMBB is that CMBO (when the demo came out) was so revolutionary to anything we'd seen before, I remember being amazed at the detail (with the stock CM graphics :D ) CMBO is a much enhanced game but we've all been spoilt by the original!

Hmm, when I played the CMBO demo over a year ago it really grabbed me and was the single biggest factor in my decision to buy the game. I must have played chance encounter 100 times.

Sure the new demo shows those familiar with CMBO what some of the new features are but does it have that something special that will drag in the new punters? Surely the whole point of the demo is to generate new interest in the game? It’s very nice of BTF to give the fans a demo that they will enjoy but..Well basically we're a sure thing so wouldn't it be better for BTF to produce a demo that would attract newbie’s?

I kinda found the demo scenarios a bit frustrating at first, perhaps this will be multiplied 100X for newbie’s and they will just give up and not buy the full game.

I think that if I'd never played CMBO and downloaded the CMBB demo, I'd probably be just as entranced as I was with the original. There's nothing else like this game out there. If your into WW2 in any way this game has got to be a must have.

[ September 05, 2002, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: danvnuk ]

I don't know - I'm hoping Citadel Schwerpunkt makes it onto the CD, because it could be outstanding as the heart of an armor/anti-armor tutorial.

Start with the default setup for the Russians. Okay, here's how NOT to set up a defense with this equipment. B^) Try it, and see what's wrong with it.

And go from there.

The two demos do a very good job of showing off the new game features, but a good Wild Bill Wilder suspense thriller would do more to capture the imaginations of first time players. Unfortunately, to add one to the demo, you'd either need to add some 1941 era armor to the Germans, or 1943 era infantry to both sides.

The two scenarios do a good job of giving players a taste of '41, and '43, but just a taste. Not enough TO&E to get real fancy. Of course, making a complex scenario would have made the download that much larger.

Originally posted by Makes The Jelly Judder:

Hmm, when I played the CMBO demo over a year ago it really grabbed me and was the single biggest factor in my decision to buy the game. I must have played chance encounter 100 times.

Sure the new demo shows those familiar with CMBO what some of the new features are but does it have that something special that will drag in the new punters? Surely the whole point of the demo is to generate new interest in the game? It’s very nice of BTF to give the fans a demo that they will enjoy but..Well basically we're a sure thing so wouldn't it be better for BTF to produce a demo that would attract newbie’s?

I kinda found the demo scenarios a bit frustrating at first, perhaps this will be multiplied 100X for newbie’s and they will just give up and not buy the full game.

Who is BTF?

Would have to agree on that the lack of replay value. Like stated though, perhaps it is because we have played CM so much that we are not learning how to do new things all over again; its just learning a few new tricks. When we all got the CMBO Gold Demo, it was learning a new game from scratch. Everything was new and exciting and it took some time to learn.

However, perhaps some other scenario possibilities could be looked at for future versions of the demo. My biggest suggestion there would be one with a meeting engagement feel to it, and a attacking battle with something besides green/consrcipt troops. Someone new to CM could get very frustrated in that scenario, see it as an impossible game, and never buy CMBB solely because Yelinia Stare was such a hard attack. Shoot, after all this time, I had a hard time with it and almost gave up on it! smile.gif

Chad

Whats about a limmited QB-szenario-builder??

Or some goodies like a Sturmmörser, some Offboard-arty, 2-3 lines of trenches.. ;) No question, we hardcore wargamers will buy the game if they presented us a demo were two Kübelwagen start a race on the road to moskow... ;)

Back in the day..

There were 2 bonus scenarios

The original Reisberg and Last Defense, were followed by

CHANCE ENCOUNTER (fanfare)

and

VALLEY OF TROUBLE (fanfare to a slightly lesser extent)

Perhaps if we play our cards right, they will put a balanced gem like Chance Encounter up for download, to show off the play possibilities to the neophytes

Originally posted by K_Tiger:

Whats about a limmited QB-szenario-builder??

Or some goodies like a Sturmmörser, some Offboard-arty, 2-3 lines of trenches.. ;) No question, we hardcore wargamers will buy the game if they presented us a demo were two Kübelwagen start a race on the road to moskow... ;)

Thats the best idea I have yet to hear. That would be great to fully introduce someone to the fullness of CM!

Chad

I have to agree. Personally, as much as I would like another demo scenario, I will be buying CMBB anyway. I have played CMBO right from the beta demo days, and have always been a CM fanboy.

However, what attracted me to CM in the first place was PBEM, and played CMBOs demo scenarios dozens of time against other people. The scenarios in the CMBB demo are not really good for this, IMO. If I were a newbie all over again, I might not see the value of playing against a human opponent in this demo alone, and might have skipped CM altogether.

I am pre-ordering CMBB as soon as I can, but I really think it would have been to BTS' commercial benefit to include are more interesting PBEM scenario in the demo.

Christian