Official Contest Thread for CMBB Intro Movie Music*

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. The Kyrie Eleison from Mozart Requiem would be excellent CM:BB music. The sound of the 4 part chorus counterpoint and the "larger than life" feel of voices crying "Lord have mercy on us" to Mozart would be appropriate. :D

Was it Platoon that featured Barber's Adagio for Strings?

Yes, the Kyrie would be excellent. I wonder if I could write my own ruleset for the CMBB CMMOS and have that very music. I could rip it off my CD...

Not sure about the Barber in Platoon, but I can check...

In all seriousness, the CM:BO theme music is a mixture of styles around a single martial theme. As I have listened to it many times by itself and it seems to begin with a rather forthright march that reminds me of the Germans. Then as it builds and the fanfare is entered by strings, percussion and more trombones it seems more reminiscent of the marching Allies and the later violin runs herald the impending doom of Berlin.

So to me, the music in CM:BB should tell a short story too and it should definately be dramatic. A mixture of styles seems appropriate centered around a single theme because of the shortness.

Also, and this is very important I think, the instrument sound quality should sound realistic and preferably be the result of a studio recording. I think the CM:BO track uses real instruments. It is sometimes hard to tell, but my ear tells me they are real (not digitized imitations of a violin section, brass, etc.)

Does anyone at BTS actually know? I am very curious.

-Sarge

Sacred War by the Red Army Choir.

I regularly listen to the Red Army Choir when PBEMing. Sacred War and Lenin's Banner etc really make you want to "go out and kill some fascisti" ;) . It is pretty stirring stuff.

Unfortunately I don't think Irish rebel songs would be allowed but they achieve much the same effect.

Originally posted by Terence:

Last Caress, either the Misfits version or the Metallica cover.

BLASPHEMOUS INFIDEL!!!

6. THOU SHALT NOT PLAYEST THE METALLICOCK, EXPECIALLY IF THEY ARE COVERING THE MISFITS

/me crawls back into the hole, shivering from the horrible ordeal.

How can you not love these lyrics??

Unbreakable Union of freeborn Republics,

Great Russia has welded forever to stand.

Created in struggle by will of the people,

United and mighty, our Soviet land!

Sing to the Motherland, home of the free,

Bulwark of peoples in brotherhood strong.

O Party of Lenin, the strength of the people,

To Communism's triumph lead us on!

Through tempests the sunrays of freedom have cheered us,

Along the new path where great Lenin did lead.

To a righteous cause he raised up the peoples,

Inspired them to labor and valorous deed.

[Or, the old way:

Be true to the people, thus Stalin has reared us,

Inspire us to labor and valorous deed!]

Sing to the Motherland, home of the free,

Bulwark of peoples in brotherhood strong.

O Party of Lenin, the strength of the people,

To Communism's triumph lead us on!

In the vict'ry of Communism's deathless ideal,

We see the future of our dear land.

And to her fluttering scarlet banner,

Selflessly true we always shall stand!

Hell yah!

Originally posted by Fionn:

Grisha,

Aye, have you ever heard the Pogues rendition of "Last of the Irish Rover" ? It's enough to make a Celt's blood boil and start some serious ri-ra agus rualla buaille ;)

I'm thinking "Young Ned of the Hill" transcribed into a symphonic score and given Great Patriotic War Russian lyrics would have the workers and peasants among us screaming in battlelust as we closed heroically with the Fascist Invaders. Smert' ili Pobeda! ;)

Originally posted by kmk24:

For finnish troops, Sillanpään Marssilaulu or Finlandia by Sibelius

Wot? Why not "Silmien välliin"? :D

Seriously, my vote would go to the Prokofjiev (I think) piece playing in the soundtrack for Alexander Nevsky at the time of the Teutonic Knights' charge. Not being a classical music grog I can't tell the proper name, but I love that piece. Would be topical too!

The music must be dictated by the nature of the intro movie. If the intro movie begins with June 22, the music must be of German nature (i.e., german march music or even the foot-stomping theme sung by the german tankers in the movie "Patton"). As the tide of the war turns (again, if this is depicted in the intro movie), the music should change to a clearly russian theme (perhaps the national anthem as a suggestion). In any event, the last frames of the movie intro must show the famous scene of the russian flag being raised over Berlin. One furthr note on the russian music score, if the intro movie shows scenes of Stalingrad, or of the first russian winter offensive, i would suggest Tchaikovsky's "Winter Dreams" as the background music.

Originally posted by T34Rules:

The music must be dictated by the nature of the intro movie. If the intro movie begins with June 22, the music must be of German nature (i.e., german march music or even the foot-stomping theme sung by the german tankers in the movie "Patton"). As the tide of the war turns (again, if this is depicted in the intro movie), the music should change to a clearly russian theme (perhaps the national anthem as a suggestion). In any event, the last frames of the movie intro must show the famous scene of the russian flag being raised over Berlin. One furthr note on the russian music score, if the intro movie shows scenes of Stalingrad, or of the first russian winter offensive, i would suggest Tchaikovsky's "Winter Dreams" as the background music.

This is exactly what I was talking about earlier. The music should evolve from German relentless exploit to a Soviet style as the war turns. All this would be very subtle and can be done with orchestration not thematic elements [ie. switching from a German march to Tchaikovsky]. The music will be too short to introduce two different thematic elements probably.

But hey, I may be a music grog but I don't know everything!

MHO

-Sarge