When Is Combat Mission Going To Look Like This?

Im becoming a grog...

I saw the MG mounting ring on the turret cupola and thought - hey thats a Panther. Maybe Ill be able to win against the AI by the time CM10:Berlin on a wing, a prayer and a Pentium VI.

Mind you I just modelled the MG ring on my Panther model for OFP so maybe it was too wasy.

Well not to start another GI Combat hoohaa but THAT looks like competition.

It's also more than a year away from completion so I wouldn't worry too much.

It is RTS though and as we have seen there are a lot of problems with that and wargames as of late.

Yeah, but this is from the same company that gave us IL2 Sturmovic. The CMBB of Flight Simulators.

Here is where the pics came from...

This isn't a expansion to Il-2... this is a whole different game (just watch the crew interface picture).

wwiirts preview

If Oleg keeps the same attention to detail and realism as in Il-2 I believe CM will finally have competition, just look at this picture :

001.jpg

PS : I would buy CM3 anyway.. ;)

[ October 26, 2002, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Jard ]

Nice graphics. The way the form of the muzzle brake shapes the smoke cloud means high attention to detail (I suppose it's from the designers of IL-2, so that's no surprise). But - who plays CM for the graphics? I like the new doodads in CM2 but from level 4 or 5 perspective they don't show anyway.

The screenshot indicates this is going to be an updated Panzer Elite. OK, I'll go for it. If it is, it's going to be fun. It will not stay on my hard drive for more than 2 years like CMBO did, eh, does.

Originally posted by Jard:

wwiirts preview

If Oleg keeps the same attention to detail and realism as in Il-2 I believe CM will finally have competition, just look at this picture

I think the key phrase is RTS... more like competition for the close combat series.

That WWII RTS looks sweet.

That Blitzkrieg game on the other hand looks like a spiffed up version of sudden strike. Great little animations on the tanks, but I don't want anymore tank rushes. The cutscenes in the video trailer are really nice, though.

Steve has commented that the next engine will have graphics competitive or superior to those in the WW2 RTS game above.

Meanwhile, keep in mind that the WW2 RTS game you're looking at will only handle at most 16 teams/vehicles per side at a time.

CM may not have that breathtaking photo-realism yet, but it beats the crap out of the competition in the accuracy and detail "under the hood."

Soon it will have both. :D

WWII RTS... beautiful graphics....but think... what kind of hardware will you be needing? Those screenies are probably done on some high end computer that cost maybe $3000 or $4000... or more. Meanwhile.... the CM Demo runs fine on my year old computer...

Antarctic

That Blitzkrieg game on the other hand looks like a spiffed up version of sudden strike.

Not that there is nothing wrong with that :D

The main problem with games like Sudden Strike and WWII Panzer Claws is that they try too much to achive "Game Ballence". Eg Tanks can't damaged infantry units, KV-1's have more hitting power than a T-34 despite the fact they have the same main gun in real life. Don't even get me started on Sudden-crapfest's lame Tiger I loseing duels with a M5 stuart and infantry rifle kills on tanks.

It looks like Blitzkrieg will put a little more historical capability into the units. I noticed a tank ripping infanty apart with it's coax machine gun and lots of weaker tanks dieing for 1 to 2 hits.

We shall see, I'll wait for the demo myself and stick to CMBB in the mean time.

The cutscenes in the video trailer are really nice, though.

Oh God, I saw the KV-2's charging through the snowstorm...drool...