re-lumber?

Andrew Hedges wrote:

Certainly we shouldn't beat up on people who are non-native speakers for not speaking perfect english, but I don't think that fire-fox is a non-native speaker.
Mr. Fire-fox, would you tell the jury please. Are you a native English speaker or an immigrant English speaker, or non-English English speaker?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew Hedges,

I quite enjoyed your post and commend you on your knowledge of the language. I wish my technical prowess with it was as great as yours, but alas, I must rely instead on 'what sounds good', having sadly fallen asleep in High School.

There are three spelling errors (not counting "u" for "you")
Why not count it as a spelling error? This example of 'internetese' (along with 'ur' for 'your' or 'you're') annoys me almost more than any other, and it is nothing more than sheer laziness...

ianc

Okay, Foxy, we gotcha covered. No sweat.

Several of the newsgroups I subscribe to have a fellow with dyslexia who shows up frequently. His posts can be difficult to the point of painfulness to read, but they're nearly always worth the trouble. I get the feeling you may be cut from the same cloth. Make yourself at home.

smile.gif

Michael

At's right. Now looky here, we's all jess pertty much in tha same fix Fox. I ain't never learnt no spelling neither, all's a bunch of book learning hoodoo if'n ya axe me. Never could do no times an gazenta's ner spellin, ner much on readin cept fer da pitchures. But truth be knowd, I'm figerin I'm pertty much a brite native arso. Anyways, make yerseff at home. This here's otherwise knowd as tha zoo fer good reason.

[ October 13, 2002, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

I had a nun in 5th grade, Sr. Alice Marie, I believe, that would go absolutely BALLISTIC if you used that.
OK kind sir, how about letting the rest of the undereducated rabble in on the secret? Or should I make up my own?

ianc

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

At's right. Now looky here, we's all jess pertty much in tha same fix Fox. I ain't never learnt no spelling neither, all's a bunch of book learning hoodoo if'n ya axe me. Never could do no times an gazenta's ner spellin, ner much on readin cept fer da pitchures. But truth be knowd, I'm figerin I'm pertty much a brite native arso. Anyways, make yerseff at home. This here's otherwise knowd as tha zoo fer good reason.

Yes, Bruno, but you are an idiot retard whose parents were close relatives who let you play with matches and sharp objects in the hope that you would fortuitously remove yourself from among the still functioning; but you, you imbecilic twit, were too stupid to accomplish even that.

Hope this clears things up.

Michael

Originally posted by ianc:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I had a nun in 5th grade, Sr. Alice Marie, I believe, that would go absolutely BALLISTIC if you used that.

OK kind sir, how about letting the rest of the undereducated rabble in on the secret? Or should I make up my own?

ianc</font>

Now Michael, we do realize that your anti-social tendencies spew forth in uncontrolled spasms of cranial regurgitation completely blinded by dementia and absorbed in the desperate pursuance of any miniscule example that someone, anyone, might innocently and without the realization of what an awful thing it is they do, provide your poor tortured soul and retched mind a comforting morsel of reaffirmation that despite the voices echoing in your head, you never-the-less exist at the very best medical science could hope for, on a plane of intellectual equivalency with the cockatoos at the local pet shop.

[ October 14, 2002, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

Originally posted by ianc:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I had a nun in 5th grade, Sr. Alice Marie, I believe, that would go absolutely BALLISTIC if you used that.

ianc</font>

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

My conclusion is either laziness or some variety of "internetese."

There are many posts in this particular thread that makes me feel quite angry.

Normally I would steer well clear of posting my thoughts for fear of some wise guys comeback, as I am neither clever with words or good at arguing my point.

Still, in this case I feel quite strongly that the first page of this thread was cruel and without thought as to Fire Fox's predicament.

Does it really matter if he/she is a speaker of Native English? He deserves respect like everyone else.

Wether Dyslexic or not, I am pretty sure that being described as LAZY is indeed a poor assumption on Mr Hedges part.

Dylexia is not, as many people assume.. as staightforward as reversing letters and numbers or seeing words backwards.

Most people with Dyslexia have trouble recognizing phonemes which are the basic SOUNDS of speech, therefore they are unable to make the connection between the sound and the letter symbol for that sound.

I feel Fire Fox is taking all this in his/her stride and has handled it with great humility.

Someone else may not have been as well grounded.

If I had been he/she then I would probably have felt so hurt in reading some of the replys to the question asked, that I would never have posted again.

Bravo Fire Fox for keeping your dignity on reading this thread.

You have my admiration.

KEEP POSTING......... :D

Edited because: No one is perfect..

Except Andreas of course.

[ October 14, 2002, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: YK2 ]

Originally posted by Da Beginna:

Ahh finally a FELLOW Holsteiner on the forum! Where are you from my fellow country man? Maybe time to form up the Ãœberholstein connection.

Come to Holstein where the cows are "schwarz-bunt" and the girls are ugly!

As for the girls, just speak for yourself, there are plenty of pretty ladies around. :D

I'm from Itzehoe which should, after all, ring at least a slight bell for every Holsteinian (human, not animal).

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Now Michael, we do realize that your anti-social tendencies spew forth in uncontrolled spasms of cranial regurgitation completely blinded by dementia and absorbed in the desperate pursuance of any miniscule example that someone, anyone, might innocently and without the realization of what an awful thing it is they do, provide your poor tortured soul and retched mind a comforting morsel of reaffirmation that despite the voices echoing in your head, you never-the-less exist at the very best medical science could hope for, on a plane of intellectual equivalency with the cockatoos at the local pet shop.

Why, thank you, Bruno. I didn't know you cared. I...I'm deeply touched. [sniff]

Michael

I don't have any qualifications as such just two years university psychology, but I have been married to an educational psychologist for 17 years as as she spends a fair anoumt of time dealing with " specific learning difficulties" ( dyslexia being part of a group of wider conditions such as dyspraxia). An set of psychometric tests takes on average three to four hours do give an accurate result, so could Mr hedges please let us into the secret of what professional expertise he has that lets him give a diagnosis from a single post.

Apologies for the spelling folks, as I happen to be at the mild end of the spectrum, and it's taken me twenty years to get this good.

Might I suggest for those who may have a difficulty that they use a Word processor that has a spell checker and then paste in their posts.

It doesn't bother me as I have a son with a thing called Friedrichts attaxia which has put him in a wheelchair at 13 and he can hardly even type. Sometimes he posts with mistakes because it takes him aged to correct them and he kind of hopes that people won't mind. But as we can see some people just love to try to prove their superiority by picking on peoples weaknesses.

Peter.

Come on, guys/gals, this is a forum to discuss a computer wargame, not real important or tragic things, such as the various insidious maladies that could strike us all down in a hearbeat. I think we have given this topic its due, and I think that Fire Fox is intelligent enough to know that when you post on a forum such as this, you can open yourself to criticism and ridicule if you give any opening.

Fire Fox if you would like a PBEM game sometime, send me an E-Mail, its in my profile.

CMBB or CMBO your choice. I relish crushing Btits on either front. ;)

[ October 14, 2002, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Nidan1 ]

Peter, if I may say so, I suspect you are barking up the wrong tree. Andrew wasn't trying to take a cheap shot at a person with a legitimate disability, he was expressing a general disgruntlment at all the self-styled doodz who think they are so cool to be mutilating the English language. Too bad Fox Fire became collateral damage in that little blast, but he seems to have survived the episode and has been told he is a welcome part of the community.

I personally have a natural sympathy for the disabled. I suffer a visible physical disability that has subjected me to discrimination all my life. You can safely bet that I don't like to see anyone else have to go through anything of that sort.

That said, I too find those who disdain to learn the skills of language communication and then scorn others for not understanding them contemptable.

And that, I hope, can be my final word on the present situation.

Michael

Originally posted by YK2:

... Wether Dyslexic or not, I am pretty sure that being described as LAZY is indeed a poor assumption on Mr Hedges part...

Maybe, maybe not. And FF has indicated that he has trouble with spelling. That's fine, but since he is aware that he has a problem, perhaps he could do us all the courtesy of using MS-Word, 'F7' and Cut-&-Paste when composing posts?*

I have been harangued several times in the past for taking people to task over their spelling, invariably linked to a comment along the lines of "hah, JonS you dumbass, you spelled ‘sbelink’ wrong so you have no right to say anyfink". As a result now I have more or less given up and let it slide. Apparently it is rude to point out peoples spelling mistakes, but perfectly acceptable to make those mistakes in the first place. I acknowledge it is a matter of degree - one mistake in a post is phine, two is okah, etc. But surely somewhere along the way it becomes a matter of rudeness on the original posters part?

FF and Y2K, I don't mean to specifically 'pick' on you here. Its simply that you are the relevant examples in this thread.

Regards

JonS

If you care enough to post, care enough to make an effort with the spelling.

* FWIW, I do this myself for longer or complex posts. Like this one.