re-lumber?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by ianc:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />can u get the toud AAA/ATG's to re-lumber after u have diploud them

Ha... That has got to be one of the funniest posts I've read in awhile. Whew...

ianc</font>

Have you ever thought that English is not red fox' first language which is why he types that way?

I think it takes courage to do so in a language that one doesn't master fully.

Remember me to mock you all whenever I catch you typing/talking German.

Originally posted by Sytass:

Have you ever thought that English is not red fox' first language which is why he types that way?

I speak horrible Spanish in terms of grammar, syntax, etc. but I can spell the words just fine. IMO spelling is in no way related to one's apptitude in a language.

Originally posted by Eden Smallwood:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Anything else you'd like to know while I'm still awake?

Yes. Why are there no Campaigns featuring Tony Hawk in the CDV version of the game which hasn't arrived yet?</font>

The German lad from cow-land is right!

Or he would be except for the fact that the sentence that leads off this thread is in perfectly acceptable English, but so vilely spelled that the only explanation is an almost preternatural reliance on phonetics.

And not even an acceptable approach to phonetics.

If ESL is the explanation, than a simple indication of nationality, location, or some such in the profile is always a quick fix. I always check these when I encounter a post that makes me wonder.

[ October 12, 2002, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Seanachai ]

Gently, gentlemen, gently. Fire-fox asked a perfectly polite question, albeit one to which the answer is in the manual.

In a post on another thread Fire-fox apologised for his appalling spelling and said, if memory serves, that he could not help it. It is possible therefore that he labours under some form of disability. In which case to take the piss would be shocking bad form, rather like kicking a puppy.

[ October 12, 2002, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Coffin 'Enry ]

Sytass,

Sie Konnen lachen an mir als Sie wohlen uber mein slecht Deutsch und buchstabieren. Ich kan dass sehen in zukunft und es ist gut. Ich kan vielleicht dass so besser lernen.

In a post on another thread Fire-fox apologised for his appalling spelling and said, if memory serves, that he could not help it. It is possible therefore that he labours under some form of disability. In which case to take the piss would be shocking bad form, rather like kicking a puppy.
Yes, I agree. I'm not laughing at him per se. I just found the phonetic combinations produced in his missive to be so wacky that they provoked a rather uncontrollable mirth in me. Forgive me,

ianc

Originally posted by Coffin 'Enry:

Gently, gentlemen, gently. Fire-fox asked a perfectly polite question, albeit one to which the answer is in the manual.

This happens, it is true, and my apologies to the lad or lassie as well if such be the case.

My own cousin is shockingly dyslexic, and has had to struggle with it all his life. I know that there are other posters here with a similar and/or other disabilities, and it's good to think on such things when considering a reply.

A reply to one should be a reply to all, and as Coffin 'Enry has shown us here, we can pass this info on to other Board members when any poster with circumstances beyond their control posts in fashion to cause disdain.

However, I imagine I'll always have a tendency to get 'medieval' on someone's arse when it comes to those posting as though language and communication skills take a back-seat to being lazy, inane, and aggressively stupid.

I thank Coffin 'Enry for the reminder to keep this in perspective.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sytass:

At least the region I live in is known for something... :D

(Although hereabouts, Holsteiner are rather a breed of horses...)

Horses? Bah! You can't get good cheese out of a horse!

Take pride in those black and white cows, lad!</font>

Oh, and you can make great sausages or steaks out of Horses. (I'm not kidding.)

I'd be interested to hear how. I had horse steak about thirty years back and found it pretty dreadful, though that may well have been due to insufficient and improper aging.

Michael

Certainly we shouldn't beat up on people who are non-native speakers for not speaking perfect english, but I don't think that fire-fox is a non-native speaker. The sentence he wrote:

can u get the toud AAA/ATG's to re-lumber after u have diploud them.

is 100% grammatically correct and yet pretty colloquial - a non-native speaker would have to have a really pretty good grasp of English to come up with this sentence...certainly good enough to know how to spell "towed."

The verb "get", as it is used in this sentence, is particularly hard for non-native speakers, as it isn't used to mean "obtain" or "fetch," but it is used to mean something like "make" or "cause," and is being used as a modal auxiliary verb. Notice, too, that it is then followed by the direct object and then by the proper, albeit misspelled, infinitive.

But the sentence doesn't end there! It also has a new clause that modifies what went before and which contains a 100% correctly conjugated verb in the present perfect tense. I would note that this is a different tense from the present tense used in the first clause, and further shows the complexity of the sentence as a whole: FF wants to know how after he has done something in the past, he can do something else in the present.

The way you do that in English is by using the present tense and the present perfect form of the verb (keeping in mind that present perfect refers to past time). One thing that makes this construction complicated for non-native speaker is the fact that even though present perfect and past tense both refer to past time, you can't substitute past for present perfect in this kind of construction. That is, it's not really correct to say "How do you relimber towed guns after you deployed them?"

The next question would be the disability issue. People have all kinds of disabilities, and in one sense you can't generalize about them, but FF doesn't seem to have any sort of dyslexia. Let's examine his sentence again

can u get the toud AAA/ATG's to re-lumber after u have diploud them
There are three spelling errors (not counting "u" for "you"), and they are substitution errors. Specifically, "u" is substituted for "we" in "toud"; "u" is substituted for "i" in "lumber", and "u" is substituted for "ye" in deploud. Significantly, there are no transposed letters at all (i.e., "thier" for "their.").

My conclusion is either laziness or some variety of "internetese."

OT: Hey, Sytass, where are you from, specifically? I lived in Kiel for a year and roamed extensively around Schleswig *and* Holstein.