Will CMBB model these?

Well, if you imagine them being scaled down quite a bit, they could be some experimental uber-helmets. Any takers for a chicken-wire mod?

Come to think of it, it could have been a prototype armored 'uniform' from the German project to equip their Pioneers with organic squad flamethrowers. Gamey bastards.

Edited to remove all evidence of Chianti intoxication.

[ February 05, 2002, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

First person to guess correctly gets permission to ignore my posts in the MG thread.

Hint - there is a photo of one in AFRIKA KORPS in ACTION by Squadron Signal.

I'm taking a punt here, but they sort of look like the covers they used to put on Kubels to make them look like tanks.

Mace

Great call, Mace and Rommel (with a name like that, you had no business getting it wrong!) Yep, they were mounted on Kubelwagen chassis and fooled air recce into thinking Rommel had more tanks than he really did - this was in 1941, early in the period of German involvement.

They were, according to the book, supposed to bear a close resemblance to a "kleiner befehlspanzer I". The holes in the canvas were for the driver to see out of - a broomstick completed the camouflage.

I saw the pic at another messageboard and thought I'd see who recognized them.

They also used trucks with blowers on the back to raise dust clouds and give the impression of armour on the move.

Well done, guys. You never cease to impress and amaze me.

PS - in addition to the canvas superstructures you see here, you can see evidence of the rounded "treads" they added to the side of the Kubel, also.

[ February 05, 2002, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

First person to guess correctly gets permission to ignore my posts in the MG thread.

Hint - there is a photo of one in AFRIKA KORPS in ACTION by Squadron Signal.

Nope, you are all wrong, as usual. <SIGH>

Those are the shells of North African Nazi Crabs, a popular as a delicacy during the 40's.

Gyrene

Before Hitler's break from the armistice agreement of WWI Germany was tightly constrained in the composition of its armed forces. To get around the constraints the army used dummy tank bodies on light trucks during training maneuvers (they also trained their aircrews in gliders, but that's another story).

I'd bet real money that these are prewar 'OPFRO' erzats tank bodies. Isn't the 4th CM in the series slated to be early war (Poland, France, Norway, etc.) Maybe BTS will let us to a little pre-war maneuver training as well.