Setting the Record Straight FAQ

Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

Lest anyone think that the 1337 h4x0r5 don't have their own problems...

http://www.thetoque.net/020709/softwarepirate.htm

Poor wittle baby's bored with his new toys. :rolleyes: The kid's got a better system in front of him than I have, and I've been fully employed for nearly twenty years. It's the middle of summer, why isn't this spoiled brat walking beans or detastleing corn instead o playinf WAREZ games all day? What's he going to do when he finds out he can't hack the plagiarism detection company’s computers and gets busted his first year of college?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Diceman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

Lest anyone think that the 1337 h4x0r5 don't have their own problems...

http://www.thetoque.net/020709/softwarepirate.htm

Poor wittle baby's bored with his new toys. :rolleyes: The kid's got a better system in front of him than I have, and I've been fully employed for nearly twenty years. It's the middle of summer, why isn't this spoiled brat walking beans or detastleing corn instead o playinf WAREZ games all day? What's he going to do when he finds out he can't hack the plagiarism detection company’s computers and gets busted his first year of college?</font>

Guest PondScum

Austrian Strategist: fine, it's a "political and emotional issue". I'm not arguing with that.

People have asked if BTS are going to change this in Combat Mission, BTS have said "no" (repeatedly), and as such there's really no point discussing this on the Combat Mission boards anymore. Take it to the General boards instead.

Which is where all political and emotional issues should have been to begin with.

Sheesh.

[ July 10, 2002, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: PondScum ]

Originally posted by PondScum:

Uhhh, Diceman, I think it's a joke...

Shhh, I'm trying to change a topic. ;) Besides this isn't too far from reality. I had a roomate from California that was sent into the military to grow up. Could have been this fictional charater's twin brother.

Take it to the General boards instead.

Which is where all political and emotional issues should have been to begin with.

As long as they do not relate to Combat Mission. ;)

But this one does; which I was trying to explain.

My point is that people are not 'whining about something unimportant'. That is, unless you consider Free Speech unimportant. :(

Originally posted by Austrian Strategist:

Brits, French, Italians and, yes, Austrians smile.gif oppose having, effectively, forced German laws on them. We didn´t vote on those laws, and we don´t like it, as a matter of principle. Americans, please ask ourselves: Would you not mind, as a matter of principle, having Canadian or Mexican law imposed on yourselves, without a chance to vote on it. Please understand that this does make some people very angry, even on a minor issue such as a game.

I understand, and I don't blame you. I'd feel the same way. Unfortunately there appears nothing can be done about it. Hopefully someone will come up with a workaround after release. I would almost bet someone does.

In the meantime, let's remember that everytime Steve posts another tank doesn't go into CMBB. If we don't leave him alone the game might ship without Germans. ;)

Guest PondScum
Originally posted by Austrian Strategist:

My point is that people are not 'whining about something unimportant'. That is, unless you consider Free Speech unimportant.

But BTS have already said this ISN'T GOING TO CHANGE. They're not going to be your legal test-case poster-boy. Give it up, and go fight the good fight on the general boards.

(PS And yes, to be strictly accurate, Free Speech has nothing to do with Combat Mission)

The inks obviously dry on this deal, and as Steve as already pointed out, they thrashed out the best deal they could with CDV, and so it ain't our business to question the why's. I just wish that i had put my offer to em' sooner! smile.gif

Originally posted by Lord General MB:

By the way, Manx- I like yer approach! I'm assuming you'll get first CMBB dibs of course. :D

L G MB -- You won't hear any complaints from me if i was to be sent me a copy of CMBB. Then again, i don't mind paying for a copy either -- i've already spent close on £1,200 on Combat Mission Community related stuff, so another £40-50 won't make much difference. Besides, that money is nothing compared to how much pleasure and fun i've had playing and being involved with CMBO. I could have gotten off with 24 ladies of ill-repute with that money, but that would have only have taken up four hours of my time. Err, now i come to think about it. ;)

[ July 10, 2002, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Manx ]

Give it up, and go fight the good fight on the general boards.

I am not fighting any fight here, good or otherwise. tongue.gif I just wanted to explain (to Steve and others), why this is an issue at all, and that people are not just trying to annoy BTF. As I said, I understand BTFs decision, I only want to make clear that not everybody who declared they are unhappy is whacko. smile.gif

Look, for all you guys that STILL won't let it drop, there are no competent lawyers in their right MIND that are going to advise their client "well, it's unclear to me whether this is going to cause problems with the criminal law, and political considerations within the ratings board may weigh against you, but you might get away with it so, go ahead". That's just not how you protect your client. Any distribution through any company that is competently represented by legal counsel operating in the same environs is going to give the same advise if the state of facts concerning the inclusion of references and icons of NS is as I am understanding it. Steve just said they lose out on a HUGE market if they didn't do the deal with CDV. They've got to feed their families, man. That's not a sell-out, that's common f#ing sense. The game is not going to be changed in one slightest bit except for textual reference to "SS" and the SS rune icon. Have no doubt that SOMEONE will very quickly create an SS rune icon bmp mod. I can't believe you guys are making such a big damned deal over over changing "Waffen SS" to "Waffen Grenedier" in a few lines of text. Give it a f#cking rest, PLEASE!

Man, I seldom get upset on these boards. In fact, there's too many posts of mine punctuated with :D all over this place. But the time BFC, BTS, BFE, KFC or whatever they want to call themselves nowadays ( :D couldn't resist) has to spend responding to this BS is now hurting the inclusion of units in the game, so stop it, for the sake of everyone, stop it, please!!

Couple questions I asked on the locked thread:

I presume no swastikas also on Finnish tanks, even though Finnish swastika has nothing to do with Nazi symbolism, is this true? And out of curiosity, is the Finnish swastika (which is still used by Finnish airforce on some occasions) a legal problem in Germany?

Second, what is exactly meant by western Europe? Does the deal with the European distributor cover also Greece, for example?

OK, I think this is a good time (for everybody) to close this up. I think everybody has said what they need to say, and now I can go back to making models smile.gif

Austrian Strategist

Brits, French, Italians and, yes, Austrians oppose having, effectively, forced German laws on them.
If you think that is bad, think about how much we dislike it. Not only do we have the same opposition to such censorship, at least in the case of a historical simulation, but we also have to take it on the chin for being a part of the censorship.

I will close by saying one more thing...

The issue of what to do about the censorship problem is not dead. It might be possible to come up with something better. However, as it stands now everything I said is true and (as far as we can see) going to be the case when CMBB is released. But you guys can bet your last dollar that if there is ANY way to change this for the better, it will be changed. We just aren't in the habit of telling you guys things we do not know to be true, even if that means having to deal with some people getting upset. Telling the truth is not about saying what is easy, but rather what is correct.

Steve