What did he say ?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Russian pretty good, and i have to say that Soviet soldiers in Demo are rude bunch of guys (which is realistic ;) ). Words like "svoloch" (dictionary says - scum, but i think it's more like asshole or jerk), "suka" (bitch) and "tvoju matj" (untranslatable pearl of russian language) are in regular use.

Originally posted by ciks:

I know Russian pretty good, and i have to say that Soviet soldiers in Demo are rude bunch of guys (which is realistic ;) ). Words like "svoloch" (dictionary says - scum, but i think it's more like asshole or jerk), "suka" (bitch) and "tvoju matj" (untranslatable pearl of russian language) are in regular use.

That last example must be the one that suggests one should indulge in an unnaturally intensive display of affection towards one's female parent. :eek:

My take on the language thing in CM is similar to my take on it in the cinema - I prefer the original language with subtitles or clear and accentless English to dubbing and/or dodgy accents.

Nevertheless, as someone else has said, a Russian listening to other Russians doesn't hear foreign words, and I agree with this too. So if someone does do a translation into English of the German/Russian/whatever speech, keep it clear and keep the accents to a minimum - just enough to know that the speaker isn't from New York, London or Sydney.

In a nutshell:

Good approach: A Bridge too Far, Das Boot (TV), Enemy at the Gates, Conspiracy.

Bad approach: Cross of Iron, dubbed version of Das Boot.

Awful approach: Silent Hunter II translations :rolleyes:

I'm happy enough to learn a few Russian phrases - especially the more colourful ones, so I wouldn't be in any hurry to change. But how about this for a solution? If you tend to play one side in particular, just replace that sides voice wavs with English - that way you can understand your own men, but the enemy still speaks a foreign language.

Originally posted by Firefly:

How did you guys manage in CMBO? Did you only play the Americans?

I had German in college and knew enough to get by.

I don't speak Polish and only played the Poles a handful of time.

I almost never played the evil French.

Steve

Originally posted by Thin Red Line:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MrSpkr:

See the effects of globalization...

May i kindly suggest that even if the guys do not speak you own language, even if what they say is uninteligible for you, for all that this isn't grunts ?</font>

Think of this in the classical Greek sense -- the word 'barbarians' evolved from their conviction that all those who didn't speak Greek sounded the same('bar bar bar bar').

Certainly I am not implying that people speaking another language are merely grunting -- however, the Romanian and Russian sounds, at least (and I haven't heard the other languages) all sound pretty much alike to me.

I would like to know what hte heck my troops are saying, thanks.

Also, I am not advocating the delay of CMBB; however, it would be nice if BFC offered this as an optional later mod (perhaps even as a downloadable CMMOS mod through CMHQ).

There is precedent for BFC offering a major addition to the program -- CMBO did not initially ship with TCP/IP support (which, on a totally unrelated ADHD tangent, I have never tried -- I must get out more . . .).

Steve

Originally posted by Sergei:

Besides, in my personal use the sounds themselves aren't that important. I don't go all the time right down to my troops to hear what they're saying, I can tell that anyway. And usually the sounds are obstructed by other yells, explosions and rifle fire and, in any case, I don't understand Polish or French, but of course "Le Aargh!" is not very difficult to guess.

Well, I have been trying to stay in view one and two -- it really helps me appreciate the level of detail and immersiveness of the CM experience. At that level, being able to understnad my pixellated truppen's yells is important and significantly contributes to the experience.

Steve

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Think of this in the classical Greek sense -- the word 'barbarians' evolved from their conviction that all those who didn't speak Greek sounded the same('bar bar bar bar').

Steve

[Grunting] Voila qui me rassure...

Nicolas

Evil French

[ September 04, 2002, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Thin Red Line ]

I think that what will happen is this....

As in CMBO, one of us (someone who is good with languages), will sort thru all the voice files and have them translated.

That person (I love him/her already),will post a list of all languages with corresponding translations on one of the CM websites.

Then it is just a matter of reading them over, playing the game enough times to be able to recognize the phrases, and bingo, you will have learned some Russian or Rumanian, or German or English.

Sometimes its more fun not knowing, how many German soldiers knew Russian, or vice versa, at the outset of Barbarossa? Phrases and words were picked up by necessity, you can do the same in CMBB once the full game comes out. I think that's part of what makes this game experience unique, and adds verbal hints to your intelligence assesments Anyone agree?

Originally posted by Nidan1:

I think that what will happen is this....

As in CMBO, one of us (someone who is good with languages), will sort thru all the voice files and have them translated.

That person (I love him/her already),will post a list of all languages with corresponding translations on one of the CM websites.

Then it is just a matter of reading them over, playing the game enough times to be able to recognize the phrases, and bingo, you will have learned some Russian or Rumanian, or German or English.

Sometimes its more fun not knowing, how many German soldiers knew Russian, or vice versa, at the outset of Barbarossa? Phrases and words were picked up by necessity, you can do the same in CMBB once the full game comes out. I think that's part of what makes this game experience unique, and adds verbal hints to your intelligence assesments Anyone agree?

What I would prefer is either an in game switch allowing you to choose English or Russian for the Soviets, or English or (insert other language here) for the Axis, ala Close Combat.

I would probably play many games with my side using English, and the other side using the native language (for the immersive quality), but it would be nice to have that option.

That is why I believe the best solution may be to have the guys who have already recorded the native language voiceovers do English cuts, then offer that up as a CMMOS mod.

I may see how much of my old Close Combat .wav files will work, but I would prefer to use something from BFC.

Steve

I speak some Russian -- not fluent or anything -- but I love the sounds in the game. I have to say they really add to the enjoyment for me. Vpered, Rebyata!!! (Forward, guys!!)

There was one moment in the tutorial, where a German MG opened up and the Russians yelled AAAAAH, Ya Ranen (Im wounded) and there was another burst of MG fire from the Germans, and then "Sobaki!!" (Dogs!!) from the Russians. It was great.

And for that reason, I've got no objection to translations, although I do wonder why this never came up before with French, German, Polish and CANADIAN in CMBO...

I have to say, though, hearing what sounds to me like perfect idiomatic Russian would not be the as fun as hearing as perfect, idiomatic accented English.

I think though, that most people would be willing to see a transliterated list of the dialogue, and figure it out from there.

Given the that the number of sound bites are rather small, could we just comple a phonetic list here and familarize ourselves with them? Any russian speakers playing the demo now? Or you could run subtitles on tutorial (fewer troops mean less clutter) and try various crap to get them saying different things.

OK, I thought "slooshie" sounded familiar. I just suddenly remembered that it's one of the bits of Russian adopted by the droogs/malchicks (punks) in "A Clockwork Orange". Roughly, "have a look see", so basically a one-for-one equivalent for the ubiquitious "Pay attention!" for American troops in CMBO.

Horrorshow. ;)

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Well, I have been trying to stay in view one and two -- it really helps me appreciate the level of detail and immersiveness of the CM experience. At that level, being able to understnad my pixellated truppen's yells is important and significantly contributes to the experience.

Mmm yes, people have different ways of playing CM. You probably can tell alot just from the intonation (the acting is okay) but might be difficult to pick in hurry. In Close Combat this is more critical because of the real time element - there is no time to check each and every unit all the time, but... anyway, in CC3 I did at first use English when playing as Russians, but after getting used to the elements I switched to Russian because it sounds c00ler. I don't wish to ridicule anyone for doing the same in this game, I might need some help with Romanian myself...

Learn Russian, part 1: Bronya = tank

More to follow! smile.gif

Originally posted by Shosties4th:

OK, I thought "slooshie" sounded familiar. I just suddenly remembered that it's one of the bits of Russian adopted by the droogs/malchicks (punks) in "A Clockwork Orange". Roughly, "have a look see", so basically a one-for-one equivalent for the ubiquitious "Pay attention!" for American troops in CMBO.

"Slushayesh" means "listen", actually.

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Shosties4th:

"Slushayesh" means "listen", actually.</font>

Originally posted by Lars:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MrSpkr:

I almost never played the evil French.

No, you stuck me with them, you rotten bastiche.

I hope somebody mods the sound files so the troops can say exactly what they think of you.

Both sides.</font>

Well, now that the BFC boys are considering changes to the Tracers (and maybe something to do with the shockwaves -- my hope is for dust clouds), will y'all be considering anything along these lines (translation mods for voices in English or other languages)?

Just wondering. I think it would be a fairly popular thing to do.

Steve