Anyone for a Scotch discussion? Pre-release timing is about right I think...

:D For old times sake, I thought it would be a good idea to revive the "pre-product release Scotch Whisky" discussion. I think Charles will tell you we all got him hooked last time!

Here are some sites to start your love affair with the greatest drink known to mankind:

www.malts.com

A UK-only (for purchases) site, it still has excellent guides on distilleries and almost anything you can think of having to do with Scotch. Highly recommended. They even have wave files for proper pronunciations (it does come in handy tongue.gif ).

www.scotchwhisky.com

The site I started with. Almost as good informationally, you can actually purchase from this site if the one you are looking for isn't available locally.

www.whiskyweb.com

Another site I discovered at the same time as malt.com.

My current personal shelf consists of:

The Macallan 12 yr - nice and smooth

Dalwhinnie 15 yr - good all around scotch

Glen Garioch 10 yr - a little too flowery IMO

I'm looking forward to drinking some Highland Park, but it can be hard to find in the states.

Some guys find the coastal "peaty" scotches more to their liking. Classics like Laphroig, Lagavulin and Talisker are strong... some say too medicinal, but it's all up to the individual.

Have fun and before we know it, CMBB will be out.

Let us know what you like and dislike as well as new sites.

Until later, CHEERS!!

;) Paul

Originally posted by Gromit:

Some guys find the coastal "peaty" scotches more to their liking. Classics like Laphroig, Lagavulin and Talisker are strong... some say too medicinal, but it's all up to the individual.

Medicinal?! There ain't no finer whiskey than the 16 year old Lagavulin! Well, that isn't exactly true, but the Lagavulin is mighty fine

Originally posted by Gromit:

You must admit Berlicht that Laphroig is likely to scare away scotch newbies...

:eek:

Paul

Ah, true... as will an cask strength scotch. I remember my first experience. A friend of mine said he had a new Lagavulin, and I'm not one to turn down a Lagavulin... it was cask strength... I thought someone had let an angry cat loose in my throat smile.gif

I have been looking for a scotch to use as the first ingrediant of a Rusty Nail. Had a great one yesterday at a restaurant. Forgot to ask the bartender what brand he used. But then a Rust Nail can cause one to forget.

This should be on the General Discussion Forum...

Toad

Laphroaig 15 years. Lagavulin for advanced drinkers, much mellower than the 10 year old and this one needs the mellowing badly.

Glenmorangie 18 years. Far cry from the cleaning agent they pass as 10 year old.

apex

I've been searching for "Atiquarian". Suppose to be the holy grail of scotch. But its very hard to find. Will have to mail order it I guess.

I will be castrated for this, but Taliskers smells like dirty sneakers. (I still drank the whole bottle though).

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

Medicinal?! There ain't no finer whiskey than the 16 year old Lagavulin! Well, that isn't exactly true, but the Lagavulin is mighty fine

In fact, after knocking back the bottle that Moriarity sent along to the first Meeting of the Olde Ones, you not only voted him a capital fellow, but actually proposed posting that on the Cesspool. Fortunately, by that time no one could type.

Well, John Salt donated (amongst other items) a gratefully received bottle of Bushmills Malt (10 yrs old) to my well-being when he appeared for my birthday on Saturday. Luckily for the crew I resisted temptation to open it there and then, since the next day I spent 6.5 hrs driving them through south England and watching tanks. A review when I have cracked it open.

Originally posted by Echo:

I've been searching for "Atiquarian". Suppose to be the holy grail of scotch. But its very hard to find.

That's a common problem with holy grails. King Arthur's knights had a bugger of a time finding the original too.

Here's my list of scotch we drink:

Any occation: DeWar's on rocks

Special Nights (expensive dinner, kids gone, etc.): 12 yr. Macallan

VERY Special Nights (Aniversary, kids gone for weekend, etc.): 18 yr. Macallan

Once-in-a-lifetime: (New job, $$$, weddings, etc.): Our new bottle of 25 yr. Macallan.

My wife and I just took a trip to Canada. Bought 25yr Macallan for 60% of U.S. cost. It was still too much, but I couldn't pass that up.

My 2 cents...

COG