Is CMBB Gold yet?

IIRC, it was said by someone at BFC that the demo represents version 1.0 of CMBB (sounds downsized and other things absent ofcourse). Does that mean that CMBB is Gold yet? Or is BTS still working on CMBB, perhaps with a pre-release patch already?

Any word from BFC or someone who knows would be appreciated.

Chad Harrison

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

Does that mean that CMBB is Gold yet? [snips]

[Peers over demi-lune glasses and sips port reflectively]

Could someone a little more in touch with this new-fangled terminology tell me what, exactly, "Gold" means in this context? Is it, perhaps, a synonym for what people in computing might call "finished"?

Oh, and an etymology to accompany the definition would be most welcome.

[slouches back on sofa in dingy recesses of 1831 Club]

All the best,

John.

Originally posted by John D Salt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

Does that mean that CMBB is Gold yet? [snips]

[Peers over demi-lune glasses and sips port reflectively]

Could someone a little more in touch with this new-fangled terminology tell me what, exactly, "Gold" means in this context? Is it, perhaps, a synonym for what people in computing might call "finished"?

Oh, and an etymology to accompany the definition would be most welcome.

[slouches back on sofa in dingy recesses of 1831 Club]

All the best,

John.</font>

"Gold" refers to the state of development of software when it has been determined that no further development will be implemented prior to sending the software to the publishing facilities for public release.

Etymology, sorry to say, is unknown to me.

Originally posted by Agua:

"Gold" refers to the state of development of software when it has been determined that no further development will be implemented prior to sending the software to the publishing facilities for public release.

Etymology, sorry to say, is unknown to me.

I believe the etymology has to do with the fact that the master CD has a gold tint to it.

Therefore, "gone gold" means that the master CD has been created, and that no more code changes can be made before the product ships. Of course, patches can still be released via Internet to alter the program after the fact.

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

The reason I asked, was because I was wondering if we should expect to see any changes to CMBB from what we see in the demo? Im not talking about sounds and stuff, I mean CHANGES. Perhaps teh T-34's turret armor being a little more realistic? (Dont ask me if it was that easy to penetrate! All the grogs seem to be up in arms about it)

Chad Harrison[/QB]

Although I don't qualify as a grog, I think it's fair to say this is another missconception being shattered. The model is consistant with the best available data on the subject.

In tests I've run at ranges in excess of 500 meters you can expect to expend your entire inventory of AP ammo to get a kill, and at 600 meters, you can forget about taking a T-34 out at all. Seems consistant with its reputation to me. Yes, you'll get penetrations at 500+ meters, but the remaining energy is so low that it's the stuff that stories of crew members finding shells in their laps are made of. It took me several shots before I could get effective penetrations at 500+ yards, 600+ yards was clearly a waste of ammo.

Originally posted by Diceman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

The reason I asked, was because I was wondering if we should expect to see any changes to CMBB from what we see in the demo? Im not talking about sounds and stuff, I mean CHANGES. Perhaps teh T-34's turret armor being a little more realistic? (Dont ask me if it was that easy to penetrate! All the grogs seem to be up in arms about it)

Chad Harrison

Although I don't qualify as a grog, I think it's fair to say this is another missconception being shattered. The model is consistant with the best available data on the subject.

In tests I've run at ranges in excess of 500 meters you can expect to expend your entire inventory of AP ammo to get a kill, and at 600 meters, you can forget about taking a T-34 out at all. Seems consistant with its reputation to me. Yes, you'll get penetrations at 500+ meters, but the remaining energy is so low that it's the stuff that stories of crew members finding shells in their laps are made of. It took me several shots before I could get effective penetrations at 500+ yards, 600+ yards was clearly a waste of ammo.[/QB]</font>

Originally posted by Steel Rain:

Gone Gold refers to the gold colored CD that is used as the master for replication.

In fact, gold master CDs ARE gold. Burnable (and rewritable) CD's are coated with a very fine layer of gold. Manufactured silver CDs are stamped aluminum. They take the gold master and make a glass master, which is used to stamp the aluminum discs.

CDs are marked with 1's and 0's on their surface along with tracking information. Writable gold CDs use the burner's laser to smudge the surface. Stamped aluminum CDs actually have physical indentations on the surface.

So when they say a title has "gone to gold master" they mean it literally.

I believe the game will be available to order on 9/20 with shipments beginning immediately thereafter. There may be a pre-order period before that. Most games require more lead time because they have to be shipped to stores by the release date, whereas CMBB does not. That means the "gone gold" date can be closer to the release date.

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

Most games require more lead time because they have to be shipped to stores by the release date, whereas CMBB does not. That means the "gone gold" date can be closer to the release date.

True, but they still need some time to make the disks, print the manuals, and put them all together into packages. And I would hope that this time they run off enough of them so that they don't sell out in the first ten days.

:eek:

Michael

There was a mention somewhere that BTS is already hard at work with the first patch. Going by that, it's gold.

The lead time.. well.. I'm just throwing out a wild guess.. but I think they did just what they said they would. First finish the game, then do the demo. That'd put the game as finished, sometime last month. Might take a bewilderingly rough guess to put it at 20th.

That'd give them, and particularly CDV, a month to prepare before the big date. And CDV would be the one more in need of prep time. They have the retail channel to worry about, boxes to make, cd's to burn (and break with copy protection), shopkeepers to bribe.