MOD PREVIEW: Spring PantherG(late) *BIG PIX*

To answer some questions & comments:

Juju-- I'm happy to report that this mod is no higher in resolution than any of the other "hi-res" mods. I guess the main secret is finding good source material. But I do have a simple trick I use (I'm writing more about this in an article for PawBroon and his wonderful site MODS & MODDERS . The trick is this: when finding a good piece of source material, double its size (increase pixel size by 200%) before copying it and pasting it into your new BMP. When you shrink this down to fit your BMP, you often pick up lots of detail. The downside is that sometimes really small images that are enlarged might become a bit blurry... it depends on the original image.

Illo-- good point about the chicken wire... let me mess with that!

Voidhawk-- you are absolutely correct. Your Annotated Textures have been a great aid. I urge all modders to pick these up! They really help!

K_Tiger-- I guess you mean "kill" rings around the gun barrel... ok, I can do that!

Kestrel-- As I've been researching Panthers, I've seen alot of photos with lots of spare tracks mounted on the turret... I guess they needed all the protection they could get. Anyways, that's the way this particular model looks, but I'm doing some other Panthers that have no treads on the turret... maybe some Zimmerit, though!

PEIPER#1-- absolutely correct! Although I've also used parts of this, especially the right side hull. What a great site!

The general consensus is that overall, the colors are too light. When I get done making corrections, I'll go back and change the brightness/contrast levels for the BMPs. Here's a quick example:

PthrContrast.jpg

Are these colors better?

Seriously, guys, your input really helps me and keeps me motivated. Thank you very much for your input!

-Joshik

[ March 21, 2002, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Joshik ]

I know a problem I wrassle with. My monitor's too dark and won't cooperate with my attempts to readjust it. So, when I do a new mod there's a chance it'll show up too light on other people's screens.

If your Panther looks okay on your monitor but not here, perjaps your monitor needs to be brightened and the art readjusted downward?

My 2 cents.

Originally posted by Joshik:

....Kestrel-- As I've been researching Panthers, I've seen alot of photos with lots of spare tracks mounted on the turret... I guess they needed all the protection they could get. Anyways, that's the way this particular model looks, but I'm doing some other Panthers that have no treads on the turret... maybe some Zimmerit, though!....

Hey Joshik-

I'm glad to see that your Panther is making a re-appearance! I've been waiting for the *.bmp for awhile- ever since I saw that you were modding a great looking cat from Missing Lynx.

Please keep both the lighter and darker versions!! I like the darker one, but the lighter one will be loaded into my version of CMBO. The image fits with what I would expect from supplies in Spring '45. I can imagine the crew working with their last supplies of paste and having to mix it with water since they had to save every last gallon of petrol for feeding the beast- and not making it pretty. The spring rains and sun have bleached what little color they could provide and their once noble beast is rusting out on them.

On more thing. I would avoid adding a zimmerit version- for historical reasons. By late 1944, the Germans were no longer coating armor with zimmerit, since they were on the defensive and fighting from ambush positions.