Question on Machineguns...

OK...we know a machine gun has extra crew members to lug all that ammo around right? So what happens when all that ammo they lug around is used up? I'm shouldn't they at least have a pistol and a carbine or somethin. I mean if i was going to carry around JUST ammo I would want something to protect myself with on a battlefield.

So why don't they get a some kind of weapon to use also? All I have seen is that they become a human shield for the MG and gunner as soon as the ammo runs down. I may be wrong though as I am with most things.

This is not an intentional feature. It is a limitation of the game engine. You can think of it that the firepower rating already including a few rifles. CMBO infantry units can never engage several targets at the same time anyway, which would be the point about secondary arms.

Originally posted by redwolf:

This is not an intentional feature. It is a limitation of the game engine. You can think of it that the firepower rating already including a few rifles. CMBO infantry units can never engage several targets at the same time anyway, which would be the point about secondary arms.

I thought he was talking about when the team as a whole has run out of ammo and then they grab rifles & go off to fight

I'm talking about when one or two of the guys doesn't have to carry anymore of the ammo. What do those two guys do? Sit around & wait? It would be cool though if the gun was able to move faster (i.e. RUN) with the two extra guys toting it around at least. But if every member of ammo carrying group also had a rifle or something those guys would have something to do.

Hey, IMO that's a good idea.

I mean, if a HMG has already spent most of its ammo, then it should be able to run because... *booom*...

Madmatt puts back his gun...

A group of grogs take a look but quickly decide to better continue to discuss the ammo usage of units equipped with Bren MGs on tripods while suffering from diarrhoea in Tripolis in October 1942...

Move on, nothing to see here...move on!

[ April 30, 2002, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

You don't think they should have some self-defence capability?

I'd personally like to see all light-weapons teams (ie 60mm/50mm/2in Mortars/PIATs/Bazookas/Panzerschreks/HMGs/etc) have a self-defence capability, just as do the crews of guns, once the ammunition of their primary weapon had been expended. In "real life" those crews carried personal weapons, and contributed to their unit's firepower when the occasion demanded it, bringing into use their "special" weapons when the situation demanded it.

MGs in CM never actually run out of ammo. Like squads they just go to "low" status and fire less frequently. If personal arms are considered to be included in the MG firepower rating then I assume the personal arms are also considered to be low on ammo at this time.

Obviously this is an abstraction. I suspect we will get more detailed modeling in the rewrite. We may even see MG crews be able to abandon the MG instead of always defending it to the death ;)

[ May 02, 2002, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]

Even low ammo mgs can pack a wallop. The biggest problem is they won't opportunity target the enemy except at very close range. I've stopped a German Fallshirmjager attack with mid-range (100-150m)low ammo mgs.

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

Those 'last man in the HMG crew' teams are a pain...same FP rating as a full crew, and suprisingly stubborn to kill or rout...though easy to capture.

MGs with only one man left do suffer a FP penalty according to Steve.

Originally posted by Sir Augustus:

Also can you abbandon a mortar after all it's shell are expended? If you could it would help in that way also. Maybe there should be an "abbandon weapons system" order?

This might be unrealistic. A weapon which expends its ammo is fed more ammo for the next push (scenario in our case -- a CM battle). I am afraid that while weapons were abandoned, they were not abandoned when the going was good just because the last round was fired. They got more ammo.