The Magnificent Bastards.*

Allow me an intro quote to explain, as said by Michael Dorosh...

I guess we are all so amazed that BTS pulled such a magic rabbit out of the hat on a tactical level, we expect you to have all the answers for everything we have dreamed of during years of tactical wargaming. So now we expect you to have all the answers to the rest of our dreams.

Serves you right, you magnificent bastards.

I've been on this board a very long time. Opinions as to certain features that should be included by BTS, suggestions as to improvement is to be found in a gazillionth form here on this BB. Those that differ should express their opinions, but as a matter of common decency this should not be put forward in a disrespectful way. - Pengville being a different case altogether...

Anyways, having read certain threads, I am of the opinion that those Magnificent Bastards*, that is Charles, Steve and later Matt, Martin, Dan and the rest of the gang, should be properly honoured for their work in the field of tactical wargaming.

Thus, I propose, with the vote of forum members here in this thread, to send 12 bottles of wine (heck, what else!) to BTS' headquarters as appreciation for their work in this field of gaming.

All in favour, vote here, show some support by posting here and, if possible, tell us why you appreciate these MAGNIFICENT BASTARDS*

Regards,

Charl Theron

fatbast.gif

* Term originally coined by Michael Dorosh, further defined by moi as "Magnificent" => for us; "Bastards" => wife's/girlfriend's opinion

[ May 28, 2002, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, AFAIK, it is illegal to send alcohol via the US Mail, thus you would need to courier it. As a suggestion, you could send it air-freight to me quite cheaply as I live near a major international airport. I promise the bottles would reach the BTS gang in one piece. Of course, I couldn't vouch for the contents.

So, in essence my dear sir, your vote an Aye to send it?

Much appreciated for the lesson in legality, but I'm aware of the federal/state wine issues, unless you own an importer's license, in which case I just might use your offered help smile.gif

so how do you vote no? just kidding! hell, voting no to this would be as much as admitting you're a communist, or worse, and aggie(you have to be from texas to appreciate that one. disclaimer: that was only meant as humor. it is neither my nor my sponsors' opinion of the fine university called texas a&m.)! anyway, i vote yes to sending me and the bastards(your word, not mine!) at bts some wine. and make sure mine is a good vintage! ;););)

Originally posted by jeffsmith:

Any Good S.A. Brews you could include as well?

Mmmm, we do have Castle Lager as well as Lion Lager, but at R3-50 per 340ml can, that seems to be a waste of bottle-freight-space. We do know that Steve uses red wine - Paul Masson or something - to clean his engine parts. Sorry Steve, I had to divulge this! smile.gif

Originally posted by zukkov:

so how do you vote no? just kidding! hell, voting no to this would be as much as admitting you're a communist, or worse, and aggie(you have to be from texas to appreciate that one. disclaimer: that was only meant as humor. it is neither my nor my sponsors' opinion of the fine university called texas a&m.)! [snips]

While I agree with the idea of voting "yes", I would like to make it quite plain that I do not share this posters opinion of the alumni of Texas A & M, who are well-known well beyond the borders of their native state.

I say this because I really don't need a bunch of shotgun-toting, wad-chewing, plaid-shirted Aggies on my lawn shouting "Gig 'em" at four in the morning.

All the best,

John.

Another vote for yes. Wincape, I thinks it's safe to say that this vote is going to win. Might as well send it now!

A question, you can't send alcohol trough the mail? My grandfather makes wine, vodka and other alcoholic bverages in Czech Republic and always sends them here. As far as I know he does not use any special courier or anything, but I could be wrong.

With so many people foaming at the mouth waiting for the release of CM:BB, may I humbly request that you delay this well deserved gift until AFTER the release date? 12 bottles of wine divided by 5 people could mean some seriously deranged last-minute code getting into the new game. :rolleyes:

These guys have created a masterpiece. Imagine how complex it would be to program a chess game in which every move the player tried to make was subject to the AI of the piece. How would it change the player's strategy to have pawns which refused to be sacrificed, and bishops which decided on their own which direction and how far they would move?

CM:BO has a much greater variety of units, and a much wider range of possible moves. Add in the third dimension, the terrain features, time of day, weather conditions, smoke, etc etc etc. And the whole thing works seamlessly.

Sure there will always be details which someone would prefer to have modeled differently. But since way back when I first played Panzer Leader, I'd have sold my soul for the counters to come to life as they have in CM:BO. So BTS has not only saved my soul, but they did it without wiping out my bank account. Magnificent, indeed.

Yeah, send the boys some of the "Nectar of the Gods" if you're so inclined. I figure they've provided me with 1,400 hours of entertainment over the past two years, with no end in sight. All this for $45 US too. They deserve it.

Besides, WineCape, you know I'm always willing to assist you with opportunities to give away South Africa's finest wines.

Treeburst155 out.

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Besides, WineCape, you know I'm always willing to assist you with opportunities to give away South Africa's finest wines.

That my friend, your are very able to do in the most pleasurable methods of battle creations.

PS: Have no fear combatants, this is NOT the RoW II prize I'm giving away, hehe ;)

Ozzy,

We have, by the same gentleman - Thierry and Guy that is - a South African Fat Bastard Chardonnay from the Roberston wine making area. I think there is also a Australian Shiraz by the very same wine negociant. Call me patriotic, but the South African version will go to Matt. smile.gif

Rommel22,

You can send wines via postage as a "GIFT", depending naturally on the different state laws. Some is just more restrictive - Texas for one being a completely a no-no, being a felony to send wines there to unlicensed individuals. Sorry TexasToast, but your nearest neighbour state (Louisiana) allows a more enlightened 60 bottles per year per person!

Dave H/Treeburst,

My thoughts exactly. Apart from thee dollar in BTS' pocket as a method of support, we need to voice support now and then as a counter for the "w(h)iners" - hence this Magnificent Bastards* post.

Croda,

"No comment" smile.gif

Originally posted by Jarmo:

Yea. Give Charles a couple of bottles and he just might end up coding in the Sturmtiger or Maus in a drunken coding frenzy. :D That'd be fun..

Edit.. oh yeah.. the appreciating thing... well.. I've played the game pretty much daily since the beta demo came out. Many hours. Hmm.. maybe I should be bitter for the loss of my personal life? A bit like awarding a crack dealers a personal achievement award or something..

Nah.. I guess the wine price would be in order.. the bastards did create the best game ever.. shouldn't go unpunished. er.. awarded..

Wanna bet MadMatt gulps the whole shipment in one sitting?

Oh a definite YES! I'm not the groggiest nor the most addicted (by ANY definition of the two ;) ) but I have never ever kept a game on my HD... except CM. I've played, and play, tons of great games but they all "come and go" (and usually come again ;) ) but only CM has stayed and looks to stay for the future. Even when CMBB comes out.

So send 'em the wine. I'm sure this is blasphemy, but I'd even let the release slip on CMBB to give 'em time to party smile.gif

Originally posted by WineCape:

So, in essence my dear sir, your vote an Aye to send it?

Much appreciated for the lesson in legality, but I'm aware of the federal/state wine issues, unless you own an importer's license, in which case I just might use your offered help smile.gif

Oh yes, and send along several kilos of boerewors and a couple of melktorte while you're at it. Just as long as I get an invite to the braai. smile.gif